Increase and decrease with workout

I workout 45 minutes a day four days a week. I am considering working out for 90 minutes a day four days a week. My question is if I go back to 45 minutes a day will I still be able to lose weight or will I have to stay with the 90 minute workout?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    It depends on how much you eat and whether you stay in a calorie deficit. You could do 0 minutes a day of added exercise and still lose weight, given you're eating less than you burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You can lose weight with short, long or no exercise sessions.

Perhaps expand on what you are thinking the mechanism is that you seem to think changing exercise volume will prompt?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Weight loss isn't about the exercise, it's about eating less than you burn daily on avg.

This may seem long, but it's because you have a misconception about how this works, and provided no details on what the workout is, how much weight trying to be lost, how fast, ect. So it can't flat out be answered.

If you are losing right now at some rate that is reasonable for body so it doesn't backfire, then going to 90 min and eating the same amount could backfire depending on how many extra calories that burns.
    You could find your workouts sucking and providing little to no improvement to the body, merely spinning your wheels burning some calories - which may be all you want from it.
    But body may slow down other daily functions and movements to compensate, so not even getting full calorie burn from the workouts. (like add 200 calories to workout, lose 100 calories in other daily movement)

Drop the exercise back to 45 min in that case - body may or may not speed back up for daily functions.
    In which case may not lose as fast, which may be beneficial anyway.

If the extra workout makes you hungry and you eat more, and then drop back, and eat the same extra food - then likely would not keep losing.

Whole lot of ifs and maybes because you have no details.

What is the workout for 45 min, would it be the same for the whole 90?
    How much are you trying to lose?
    How much deficit are you taking?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I lose weight when I workout.

I lose weight when I do NOT workout.

I lose weight because I remain in a calorie deficit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2021
    twon070377 wrote: »
    I workout 45 minutes a day four days a week. I am considering working out for 90 minutes a day four days a week. My question is if I go back to 45 minutes a day will I still be able to lose weight or will I have to stay with the 90 minute workout?

I wouldn't advice doubling your work load of stress via exercise. That is poor load management & increase injury risk.

To lose weight eat in a deficit. Is there a difference between your TDEE of 180 min vs. 360 minutes of exercise? Yep. Adjust your calorie intake accordingly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    twon070377 wrote: »

You lose weight when you consume fewer calories than your body requires to maintain. Exercise can make losing weight easier because it increases your body's calorie requirements, but exercise in and of itself doesn't default to losing weight. When I was doing a lot of endurance cycling events, I was cycling about 10 hours per week...I didn't lose weight at all, because I was eating a maintenance level of calories.

I'd also be cautious of just doubling the amount of exercise you're doing right now overnight. Depending on what that exercise actually is, you could very well be substantially increasing your risk of injury and overly stressing your body.