Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    The clock.
  • Beelady516
    Beelady516 Posts: 10 Member
    Nothing like a home workout ex.bike resistance bands weights yoga mat swiss ball and don't have to put up with the Gym 🏋️💫🚴
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    So, in addition to our usual dues, we paid the trainer to put together a training program for my son, a beginning lifter. Did they put him over in the Nautilus machines...where no one ever goes? Noooooo. They put him in the gang of heavy duty muscle heads in the free weights/squat/cable rack. Other heavy duty muscle heads are waiting in line to get to that part of the building, he doesn't stand a chance. Thanks! Maybe I'll get him out of school early so he can go do the workout we paid you to design for him. /snark

Why won't trainers design a routine using the lonely Nautilus machines for beginners?? Why is it always free weights?

* No heavy duty muscle heads were harmed in the composition of this post.

The trainer probably developed a program they thought would be more effective for your son. Nothing wrong with machines but most resistance training programs will use free weights or body weight over machines for most movements, especially for someone with minimal balance or other issues.

Did you expect the trainer to know your son's schedule?

When we told them our schedule...YES. That was a key point in the planning, when we could get in. They're a parent, too. They fully know teens go to school during the day, aren't likely to get up at 5:00am to go work out, aren't likely to come in the evenings.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    So, in addition to our usual dues, we paid the trainer to put together a training program for my son, a beginning lifter. Did they put him over in the Nautilus machines...where no one ever goes? Noooooo. They put him in the gang of heavy duty muscle heads in the free weights/squat/cable rack. Other heavy duty muscle heads are waiting in line to get to that part of the building, he doesn't stand a chance. Thanks! Maybe I'll get him out of school early so he can go do the workout we paid you to design for him. /snark

Why won't trainers design a routine using the lonely Nautilus machines for beginners?? Why is it always free weights?

* No heavy duty muscle heads were harmed in the composition of this post.

The trainer probably developed a program they thought would be more effective for your son. Nothing wrong with machines but most resistance training programs will use free weights or body weight over machines for most movements, especially for someone with minimal balance or other issues.

Did you expect the trainer to know your son's schedule?

When we told them our schedule...YES. That was a key point in the planning, when we could get in. They're a parent, too. They fully know teens go to school during the day, aren't likely to get up at 5:00am to go work out, aren't likely to come in the evenings.

Then I hope you've gone back to rhe trainer and gotten a modify training plan.

Best of luck.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited August 2021
    golfchess6 wrote: »
    All of the personal trainers that hide the most used dumbbells so that their clients can have access. Instead of the gym having a 100 pound dumbbell, why doesn't the gym acquire more 20 to 40 pound dumbbells?

Because some people use the 100 lb. dumbbell?

My gym does have sets in 2.5 pound increments from 10 lbs to 55 lbs so that does help.

Personal trainers hiding/hogging stuff is BS.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Getting there. From my house it's a 20 minute commute there and 20 minutes back. I do a pretty basic full body barbell workout that takes me about 45 minutes so I spend almost as much time in the car commuting as I do working out.

A large local chain gym just opened up a new facility about a mile from my secondary office so I'm thinking about joining there so I can start lifting there during my wellness break and lunch break. On the plus side, it's very close and I will also have access to their other locations which I believe is 8 around the metro, including one that is closer to my home than where I am now...down side is right now I pay $22 per month for an excellent facility with all the bells and whistles you can possibly think of...this new place is pretty much exactly the same amenity wise, but it's $50/month with a 12 month commitment.

I struggle with that a bit because all of my cardio is on my road bike, mountain bike, walking, and hiking and really only use the gym for the weight room.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited August 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    evilokc wrote: »
    playing music on your phone without headphones. i dont need to hear your crap over my headphones.

People really do this? Good grief. Does your gym have a policy about this?

Our neighbor's adult son had been sitting in his car at random times throughout the day, cranking the tunes. If I can hear it clearly from across the street with all my windows closed, it's TOO LOUD. I caught his mother coming home one time when he was doing it, gestured that I would like him to turn it down (we don't speak the same languages) and he hasn't done it since, thank goodness.

I wouldn't believe it, either, if I hadn't have experienced it myself. There was a group of high school boys blasting hardcore current rap through a Bluetooth speaker! I was in disbelief. I almost said something to them but didn't want to look like the "old mom-type" ( which I was old enough to be their mom).

I also get irritated when people don't put their crap away. I just think to myself that I'm glad I don't live with them and I hope I teach my kids to do better!
  • Theoldguy1
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Getting there. From my house it's a 20 minute commute there and 20 minutes back. I do a pretty basic full body barbell workout that takes me about 45 minutes so I spend almost as much time in the car commuting as I do working out.

A large local chain gym just opened up a new facility about a mile from my secondary office so I'm thinking about joining there so I can start lifting there during my wellness break and lunch break. On the plus side, it's very close and I will also have access to their other locations which I believe is 8 around the metro, including one that is closer to my home than where I am now...down side is right now I pay $22 per month for an excellent facility with all the bells and whistles you can possibly think of...this new place is pretty much exactly the same amenity wise, but it's $50/month with a 12 month commitment.

I struggle with that a bit because all of my cardio is on my road bike, mountain bike, walking, and hiking and really only use the gym for the weight room.

Most places will bargain with you. Tell them you pay closer to $20 for the same thing somewhere else and see what they can do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Most places will bargain with you. Tell them you pay closer to $20 for the same thing somewhere else and see what they can do.

I'm going to check it out after work, but I'm not holding my breath. Defined Fitness is the largest local gym chain in the state and they lost quite a few customers when Chuze Fitness (where I'm at now) opened up offering the same stuff at half the cost and I didn't see Defined cutting any deals to existing customers. Chuze is a national chain who's financial business model seems similar to Planet Fitness...high volume, low cost membership and banking on people signing up for $10-$20 in droves but not necessarily showing up.

It'll be worth a try...I know Defined was hit pretty hard during the height of the pandemic and lost a lot of customer base when Chuze opened their two locations in town in 2018.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member

Your wish is granted!

https://www.tvbgone.com/

HAHAHAHA Brilliant!
  • Theoldguy1

I'm going to check it out after work, but I'm not holding my breath. Defined Fitness is the largest local gym chain in the state and they lost quite a few customers when Chuze Fitness (where I'm at now) opened up offering the same stuff at half the cost and I didn't see Defined cutting any deals to existing customers. Chuze is a national chain who's financial business model seems similar to Planet Fitness...high volume, low cost membership and banking on people signing up for $10-$20 in droves but not necessarily showing up.

It'll be worth a try...I know Defined was hit pretty hard during the height of the pandemic and lost a lot of customer base when Chuze opened their two locations in town in 2018.

Interesting, never heard of Chuze, looked on their site just in CA, NM, AZ and CO, I'm in the midwest maybe they will expand here at some point.

Good luck getting a deal.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,113 Member

Your wish is granted!

https://www.tvbgone.com/

HAHAHAHA Brilliant!

I don’t work out at gyms anymore.
    But my TV B Gone has been absolutely brilliant at the VA, my car dealership, and other places.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Indee19 wrote: »
    I guess it's a good thing that my biggest complaint is petty. People who set their stuff by a bench then walk away and use other equipment.

Sorry. I do this (but only when there are multiple benches not being used -- we seem to have more benches than ever get used at one time). I really don't like putting my towel on the floor. Yuk (I suppose after wiping other people's sweat up with it, it shouldn't bother me, but it does). For some things I'll drape it around my shoulders, but there are some movements when it gets in the way -- sometimes in a potentially dangerous way.