GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    PCGull wrote: »
    This was a PB lift of 160kg (353lbs)
    k47dzdnsriot.gif

Awesome!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Yesterday I met with a coach at a powerlifting gym and paid for an hour long deadlift form assessment and training session.

He said that for the most part, my form is really good - just needs a bit of tweaking. One thing that I'm excited about...

When i first started deadlifting, I would stand straight, brace my core, then bend down, grab the bar, and lift. But I found that I tended to squat my deadlift because of poor form and my height (I'm 6'1:, so my starting point is slightly different than shorter people).

To fix that form, i started following the technique that Alan Thrall recommended for setup - bend down to the bar, touch shins, chest up and brace, then lift... and while that really helped with my hip placement, I cannot seem to get the same level of core bracing I'd have liked.

Last night the coach helped me work on both, so I'm going to go back to bracing while standing before the lift. Because I learned how I should feel hip position wise, I am less inclined to squat the lift now.

I am excited to try this return to my old setup - because I loved it and felt more energized before starting. haha
    I've found with Alan's way, I just couldn't brace my core the same way when trying to do it bent over.

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

Note... both of these were 1RM PRs, so form was not perfect. Also, even though there are 3 years between, I took about 2 years off lifting and had to restart from basically scratch. lol
    Second note... in retrospect, I think the vid on the left might have been 265 lol.
    Either way... you can see the difference in setup... that was my goal. lol

I am gonna try this technique of Alan Thrall, it might actually fix my form on my deadlift
    #tallpeopleproblems

It really helped me with leg setup and hip placement. When you're taller (if you have long legs) , your setup will have your back closer to parallel with the floor than when you have shorter legs.

Now that I know where my hips / legs need to be, I can work on bracing my core. 😁

His vids on how to deadlift really helped me.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,357 Member
    Yesterday I met with a coach at a powerlifting gym and paid for an hour long deadlift form assessment and training session.

He said that for the most part, my form is really good - just needs a bit of tweaking. One thing that I'm excited about...

When i first started deadlifting, I would stand straight, brace my core, then bend down, grab the bar, and lift. But I found that I tended to squat my deadlift because of poor form and my height (I'm 6'1:, so my starting point is slightly different than shorter people).

To fix that form, i started following the technique that Alan Thrall recommended for setup - bend down to the bar, touch shins, chest up and brace, then lift... and while that really helped with my hip placement, I cannot seem to get the same level of core bracing I'd have liked.

Last night the coach helped me work on both, so I'm going to go back to bracing while standing before the lift. Because I learned how I should feel hip position wise, I am less inclined to squat the lift now.

I am excited to try this return to my old setup - because I loved it and felt more energized before starting. haha
    I've found with Alan's way, I just couldn't brace my core the same way when trying to do it bent over.

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

Note... both of these were 1RM PRs, so form was not perfect. Also, even though there are 3 years between, I took about 2 years off lifting and had to restart from basically scratch. lol
    Second note... in retrospect, I think the vid on the left might have been 265 lol.

I am gonna try this technique of Alan Thrall, it might actually fix my form on my deadlift
    #tallpeopleproblems

It really helped me with leg setup and hip placement. When you're taller (if you have long legs) , your setup will have your back closer to parallel with the floor than when you have shorter legs.

Now that I know where my hips / legs need to be, I can work on bracing my core. 😁

It's been a while since i watched his vid's
    But yeah, my back is indeed closer to parallel, i always felt weird about it, but i should deal with the fact i have super long legs and very short upper body. Definatly going to work on it, thanks for the tip Sandy
  • KickassAmazon76

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

#tallpeopleproblems

But yeah, my back is indeed closer to parallel, i always felt weird about it, but i should deal with the fact i have super long legs and very short upper body. Definatly going to work on it, thanks for the tip Sandy

The height definitely makes a difference in our position and lifts, as well as the areas we need to focus on to strengthen. I have been doing some reading and these articles were of help / interest to me. Maybe they'll have something of interest for you too:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-truth-for-tall-lifters/

https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/powerlifting/deadlift-considerations-for-taller-athletes

https://www.tigerfitness.com/blogs/workouts/deadlifts-tall-lifters-set-up-guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBmfYK0lPN8

I also use the free app WL Analysis, which allows you to track the bar path on your lifts. The goal for a deadlift is to keep the bar path straight. If you find the path is wobbling, or tracking backward, it could be that your butt is starting too low or the bar is too far over your foot (it should be midfoot - from heel to toe). When I did midfoot, I was actually putting it too far forward. Midfoot for me is about 1-2" from the front of my leg.

I'll upload a couple gifs of my path changes based on start position (if I can find them) lol.
    edited August 2021

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

#tallpeopleproblems

The height definitely makes a difference in our position and lifts, as well as the areas we need to focus on to strengthen. I have been doing some reading and these articles were of help / interest to me. Maybe they'll have something of interest for you too:

https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/powerlifting/deadlift-considerations-for-taller-athletes

I also use the free app WL Analysis, which allows you to track the bar path on your lifts. The goal for a deadlift is to keep the bar path straight. If you find the path is wobbling, or tracking backward, it could be that your butt is starting too low or the bar is too far over your foot (it should be midfoot - from heel to toe). When I did midfoot, I was actually putting it too far forward. Midfoot for me is about 1-2" from the front of my leg.

I'll upload a couple gifs of my path changes based on start position (if I can find them) lol.

Thanks Sandy, will read it when i got the time
    Does that app also work for squats? I know it is not perfect straight when i do it, but i wanna be able to track it to see if i improve
  • KickassAmazon76
    In this set... You'll see my butt is a lot lower and my back is more of an angle to the ground. My butt rises first and then I pull, but the bar path moves in a curve.

iaj3zm0jag51.gif

In this set, I start with my hips a bit higher up, my torso is more parallel to the floor and the path upwards is a LOT straighter.

My path downwards is curved, which I need to work on, but I know I tend to squat the bar down as opposed to reverse deadlift it. (I have this fear of hurting my back on the way down that I need to work on.) often when I'm doing multiple reps, this works against me because I set the bar down further and further away from my shins.

From what I've read... The straighter the bar path, the more efficient the lift, and the more power you'll have... Resulting in a heavier max pull.

ijfdbaa9l3yy.gif
    In this set... You'll see my butt is a lot lower and my back is more of an angle to the ground. My butt rises first and then I pull, but the bar path moves in a curve.

iaj3zm0jag51.gif

In this set, I start with my hips a bit higher up, my torso is more parallel to the floor and the path upwards is a LOT straighter.

My path downwards is curved, which I need to work on, but I know I tend to squat the bar down as opposed to reverse deadlift it. (I have this fear of hurting my back on the way down that I need to work on.) often when I'm doing multiple reps, this works against me because I set the bar down further and further away from my shins.

From what I've read... The straighter the bar path, the more efficient the lift, and the more power you'll have... Resulting in a heavier max pull.

ijfdbaa9l3yy.gif

This has been very helpful
    One of the trainers at the gym just kept saying i should be lower with my butt/hips, but you actually prove the opposite, with long legs, higher hip placement, and more straight back
    Gonna look for the app and see if i can figure out how to use it.
  • truGAINS
    truGAINS Posts: 656 Member
    edited August 2021
    @KickassAmazon76 How do you feel about using a trap (hex)bar ?
    On your way down....at heavy weights 1 rep weights ...most just drop it instead of risking it coming down
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    truGAINS wrote: »
    Ander254 wrote: »
    What exercises you use to increase bench max?

I personally like to focus on Incline presses...standing shoulder presses...close grip bench presses...bo rows....core to some extent

All the above, and dips. Doing dips gave me a lot of gains.
  • KickassAmazon76
    @KickassAmazon76 How do you feel about using a trap (hex)bar ?
    On your way down....at heavy weights 1 rep weights ...most just drop it instead of risking it coming down

I work out in my basement - I have iron plates and a concrete floor, so I can't drop them. Also I don't have a hex bar, so I am limited in what I can do. :)
  • KickassAmazon76

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

#tallpeopleproblems

Does that app also work for squats? I know it is not perfect straight when i do it, but i wanna be able to track it to see if i improve

It does, I use it for squats and bench too. With bench, the line is supposed to be more angled, but still straight in that path. For squats, the more vertical the better. I can see that when I'm hitting my sticking point, for example, my butt lifts faster than my back and the path moves forward. So I know to focus on bracing my core and not using my back to lift through that weight more. It's been a really neat exercise.

I record every lift, and will often try to guess what the path was like, load it in the app, analyze it, then go on to my next set. I'm a bit of a form junkie. haha
  • KickassAmazon76
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    What exercises you use to increase bench max?

I personally like to focus on Incline presses...standing shoulder presses...close grip bench presses...bo rows....core to some extent

All the above, and dips. Doing dips gave me a lot of gains.

I also found banded bench press, pin presses, floor presses, paused reps and those ones where you stop 1-2" above touching helped. They were all part of my last 7 week cycle and it REALLY helped with my 1RM pr. :smiley:

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

#tallpeopleproblems

It does, I use it for squats and bench too. With bench, the line is supposed to be more angled, but still straight in that path. For squats, the more vertical the better. I can see that when I'm hitting my sticking point, for example, my butt lifts faster than my back and the path moves forward. So I know to focus on bracing my core and not using my back to lift through that weight more. It's been a really neat exercise.

I record every lift, and will often try to guess what the path was like, load it in the app, analyze it, then go on to my next set. I'm a bit of a form junkie. haha

Well since i was sort of starting from scratch again, after injuries on and off for last 4 years, i wanna work on my form a lot more. Better lift lower weights with great form, than try to max out with bad form and cause another injury.

3 weeks after i had set my PR on my deadlift, back in 2017 (or maybe 2016, been too long) i got the injury, which i still struggle with. And my guess is, it was because of poor form, and i was only focussed on the weight on the barbell
  • Ander254
    Ander254 Posts: 187 Member
    My form is so much better with the Hex Bar..It is just when I deadlift with the barbell my form tends to slip
  • KickassAmazon76

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

#tallpeopleproblems

Well since i was sort of starting from scratch again, after injuries on and off for last 4 years, i wanna work on my form a lot more. Better lift lower weights with great form, than try to max out with bad form and cause another injury.

3 weeks after i had set my PR on my deadlift, back in 2017 (or maybe 2016, been too long) i got the injury, which i still struggle with. And my guess is, it was because of poor form, and i was only focussed on the weight on the barbell

When I was testing my 1RM last weekend, I found that my form was awesome right up until I hit 90%. Then it started degrading, and fast. So you can still lift heavy, and avoid form failure if you don't chase those PRs. :smile:
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited August 2021
    My form is so much better with the Hex Bar..It is just when I deadlift with the barbell my form tends to slip

I read somewhere (I can try to find the article) that deadlifting with the hex bar is almost adjusting the deadlift to incorporate more of a squat movement in. It could be that if you deadlift mostly with hex, you may be using 'suboptimal' deadlift form and that's why you see the breakdown.

Thing is... deadlifts aren't the be-all and end-all of lifting... so if you are seeing gains, feelign the work, and enjoying it - that's really all that matters. Unless you plan on competing in powerlifting, barbell deadlifts are not a mandatory exercise.

https://hashimashi.com/hex-bar-deadlift-muscles-worked/#:~:text=The hex bar deadlift targets your quadriceps more,on your back as in a conventional squat.

It's an excellent tool, for sure!
  • truGAINS
    truGAINS Posts: 656 Member

@Ander254 Right there with you man. I'm older so my low back says mess around and find out.
  • Ander254
    Ander254 Posts: 187 Member
    Yes its definitely more of a squat feel with the hex bar...it doesnt seem like the total body workout like with the barbell
  • KickassAmazon76
    It's a deload week... Trying to let myself recover from my 1RM testing and the last 7 weeks. Next week I will start again, using my new 1RMs for calculations.

Last night I did bench / upper body. Kept the bench light at 65lbs and did some band work, and some spoto presses.

Felt nice and relaxed, but hard to feel like I did any "real" work.

xwg85w5zxxc3.gif

Tomorrow I'll do a light squat day, keeping it to a max of 120lbs.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    It's a deload week... Trying to let myself recover from my 1RM testing and the last 7 weeks. Next week I will start again, using my new 1RMs for calculations.

Last night I did bench / upper body. Kept the bench light at 65lbs and did some band work, and some spoto presses.

Felt nice and relaxed, but hard to feel like I did any "real" work.

xwg85w5zxxc3.gif

Tomorrow I'll do a light squat day, keeping it to a max of 120lbs.

120lbs is your LIGHT squat?!
    Oh dear gawd, I’m in trouble 😫