Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hey Connie: "Why make Tofu pudding when you can buy pudding already made?" It's not available where I shop. Plus I just bought an immersion blender with a "turbo" setting on it and I'm dying to give it a whirl!
    Never heard of chocolate hummus. Sounds interesting. I have made bean brownies before and they were good.

You have to "learn" our Connie, Goodgollygee!

She wasn't talking about chocolate TOFU pudding that was already made... she was talking about NON TOFU pudding that was already made :wink:

However, it is funny in that she then "falls" for the hummus/chocolate combo, which, let's face it, is WAY stranger than TOFU/chocolate, AmIright or amIright?!?! :wink:

You COULD test the immersion turbo blender by using chickpeas and unsweetened chocolate powder and... what else is in that hummus Connie?!?!?! :smiley:

You think you know me sooooo well lol….tofu chocolate doesn’t sound good to me!…I don’t like tofu!….

I did try to make that chocolate chip cookie dip with chick peas and peanut butter and chocolate chips but it was awful because I used my old blender to make it!

We have moved so many times I am surprised I can find anything!

• Goodgollygee
    Goodgollygee Posts: 102 Member
    Hahahaha! Pav!! You are right!!!

Ok. Connie: the recipe I have for Tofu chocolate pudding contains Tofu. I had a hard time finding "silken" tofu to make the stuff, as the tofu around here seems to be "firm" and they say that will make a grainy pudding. Now who the heck would eat a grainy pudding? Not me!!! So I will use the "turbo" function on my immersion blender and see how it goes and it better NOT be grainy!!!

Out of the gadgets you've listed, I have had quite a few of them. I absolutely cannot live without my slow cooker! I have no idea how people do it!! When I wanna do stuff....awaaaaaay from the kitchen....I can throw a bunch of stuff in there and make a pretty darn good meal!!! I use the thing so much I've gone thru 3 of them!

Also... my rice cooker. There would never be a grain of unburnt rice around here if it weren't for that baby. I like my electric skillet when I want to use a specific temperature. It's so much more controlled than the stove top. I lived with that thing and a hot plate for a year when I was first married (no stove). But now, I admit, it gets limited use. Same with the George F-type grill. Tho I'm keeping it for when they put us in the home. By gum if we can't bbq we'll be grilling away in the garden with that mother!! Get ourselves a whole newwww batch of friends!

The meat grinder would be a dangerous item around our kitchen. You never know what might get thrown in there. We only use it outside to grind horseradish once in awhile. The waffle maker has seen cake batter, corn muffin batter, cookie batter, strange sandwich combos, mini very weird looking apple pies and ofcourse... waffles made in it. Now that I think about, it's more of a science experiment tool than anything. I must admit, it has kind of lost it's novelty, except it seems around Easter Time for some reason???

The food processor gets a work out every now and then and I must say.... my good old hand mixer (number 4) is nearly wore out too.... so I get where you're coming from there.

Ok. Didn't mean to ramble on so long. Just.......look out because the next post from me may be about asking how to clean chocolate tofu out of my hair (depending on the turboness of the turbo function). Let's hope I won't have to repaint the kitchen!
  • Goodgollygee
    PS: Connie. I don't like tofu either but I'm trying to find a way to fool myself into thinking I do.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    There is an excellent Vancouver made line of dessert tofu, I believe they're called sunrise or something like that

Yep just found it sunrise - soya

They're excellent in terms of taste. If you too many calories in terms of the quantity I used to eat. Such quantity made the jello refrigerated ones a better deal

But as an example of what could be made by tofu I found them to be quite good as far as desserts go
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Back in the day I used to make sugar free butterscotch or chocolate or mixed pudding using cashew vanilla milk and a tiny bit of either skim milk or skim milk powder for the whole thing to activate better
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    I have been adding presoaked, cooled chia seeds to my protein shakes, almost bubble or boba tea-esc. Seems to fill me up for afternoon chocolate fix with protein, fiber & hydration.

Next on my docket chia freezer or refrigerator berry jam. Walmarts Great Value English Muffins (in refrig section, but don't req refrig) are full of sourdough nooks & crannies.
  • Goodgollygee
    Thanks re info. Pav: It's all a help. Will report back on the home made stuff. According to recipe calculator: 140 calories per 1/2 c serving, 6.6 g fat, 18.6 carb and 5 g protein. To me, not bad for a dessert, can be refrigereated or frozen and is a bit healthier than perhaps ice cream, when the craving hits. I am wary of sugar free sweeteners, so I use them sparingly.

dcshima - Your shakes sound interesting too. How do you sweeten your jam?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    oh i like these kinds of threads!

last night we had grilled chicken salad, which during the summer we have a lot. usually twice a week, sometimes more. i barely touched mine though. I have some sort of internal... pain. its bad. between my meds causing a loss of appetite and the pain amplifying that... yeah. i didnt eat anything yesterday. going to the doc this afternoon. my regular doc is on vacation this week which is spiking my anxiety about everything but nothing i can do about it. hubby leaving work early to take me. he doesnt want me driving. i think hes worried theyre going to throw my butt in the hospital. cant say the thought hasnt crossed my mind. im packing a bag ... just in case. I like to work in worst case scenarios. its one of my anxiety and OCD coping mechanisms... besides, i really dont want hubby trying to pack a bag FOR me. :/

assuming they dont, no clue whats for dinner tonight. since my appointment isnt till 2, and my doc is 2 hours away, we will probably just grab something on the way home or eat an early dinner out if im feeling up to it.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    I've never really tried chia seeds...maybe I should check those babies out!

Hope all goes well for you, Callsitlikeyouseeit. Report back.

Not sure, but I think my brunch will be the standard scrambled egg and veggies - and dinner is either pasta sauce on french cut green beans/zucchini noodles - or - chili! It all depends on exactly what is in that unmarked container I pulled out of the freezer and couldn't "smell" to distinguish between the two.

Hoping its pasta sauce - I spied a few veggie meatballs in the freezer too - and picked up my favourite kind of mozzarella yesterday. :)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,582 Member
    edited August 2021
    Don’t look at this post if pictures of pizza and tales of indulgence are likely to trigger a hamster tailspin!

Today was our one year ‘houseiversary’ – i.e. we’ve been in a our new house a whole year! Time to celebrate.

We miss Rome, but we did our best to pretend we were there by going for lunch to our favourite family-run trattoria in Norwich. There, we each ordered two slices of pizza and a salad. I also had an Aperol Spritz, my husband had a bottle of Ichnusa (Sardinian beer).

We’d forgotten the slices were huge (1/4 of a 16” deep pizza), so we each ate one slice and bought our second slices home for dinner.

My slices were Diavola (tomato sauce, mozzarella and spianata calabrese) and Lucifero (tomato, mozzarella, ‘nduja and mushroom). Not exactly low-cal choices! We poured generous amounts of olive oil on our salads.

146k6gk64a2d.jpeg

With our to-go box in hand, we went round the corner to an Italian-run gelateria artigianale, where I had a small tub of coconut gelato and dark chocolate sorbetto (my husband had gelati nocciola e caffè). On the grounds that I may as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb.

For that same reason, I’m just about to sit down and eat my second slice for dinner.

I’ve logged every bite, sip and lick to the best of my ability, and I come in a squeak under my maintenance calories.

This is Day 161 and my first day of eating without a deficit. Was it worth it? Yes, absolutely!

• glassgirlw2018
    glassgirlw2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Tonight's dinner is tortilla crusted tilapia, cauliflower rice, and a side of corn! One of my favorite meals, and clocks in at around 350 calories. Super filling!
  • lauriekallis
    I'm playing reckless and clicking the show button! I'll let you know how I fare :)
  • lauriekallis
    Looks delicious! And any potentially triggered hamsters were put back in there place when I read of your control!

Congratulations on your houseiversary!
  • Goodgollygee
    O---M---Goodgollygee!!! Tofu. Chocolate. Pudding. Is to die for!!! I am shocked! It's so decadent! I tweaked the recipe a bit. Put 1 and 1/2 tbsp milk into microwave and bring to boil (took 20 secs in mine). Add 1/2 cup semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate chips and micro til chocolate melts (about 30 secs). Add 12 oz SILKEN tofu (not firm), 2 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tsp vanilla. Blend smooth (tubo speed not needed- you could likely get by with a whisk, if that's all you had). Divide in 5 and refrigerate for awhile before serving or freeze. About 130 cals per serving, 6 g prot, 10 g sugar, 3 g fat.
    Not bad for a dessert. Would look so pretty with a few chocolate shavings and a raspberry on top!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    That pizza looks really good and yes, the pudding sounds yummy!….

Dinner tonight is salad with Feta, bbq chicken tenders, new potatoes, and green beans….dessert is coffee and a thin pistachio biscotti…..
  • Bella_Figura
    edited August 2021
    I'm playing reckless and clicking the show button! I'll let you know how I fare :)

Ha ha! See, I was kind to hamsters and included only the picture of cold pizza...now if I'd really wanted to test your resolve I couldv'e included the picture of it all melting hot and squidgy!

It was good...I don't regret it. But back to the rainbows tomorrow.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited August 2021
    Chia seeds...I can't really get on with them. I sometimes make chocolate chia seed pudding but I don't really like the texture. It makes me think of frog spawn....🤮🤮🤮
  • Bella_Figura
    I'm playing catch up on this thread after a busy day yesterday left me no time for browsing the posts - some lovely meals have been prepared and eaten over the past few days! Makes me feel like going for a rummage in the kitchen to see what I can cook tomorrow.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I bought lots of plain Greek yogurt (it was on sale) so I've been looking for new ways to doll it up. I read that you can mix in some protein powder, so I tried it with the Premier Protein chocolate powder I have. It was alright, almost tasted like chocolate flavored whipped cream, with the consistency of a mousse. I dipped strawberries in it and it was a filling snack. My ratio was 85g yogurt with 10g protein powder, plus 125g strawberries.
  • lauriekallis
    I'm going to try that yogurt chocolate protein powder thing tonight.

I just received a long overdue order (the weirdest things are running out at this stage of the pandemic it seems).