Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    1st and foremost -- people who don't re-rack weights. I have a home gym now, but at the time of day I used to go to the gym I was the only guy there. Many times there were older people there who wanted to use the leg press machine, or maybe the smith but couldn't because there was too much weight on it for them to get it off safely. When this would happen, I'd place my workout on hold to help them. It actually got to the point that before I'd start working out, I'd just go unload all the equipment for everyone.

#2 -- I worked out at a 24/7 facility. They started to institute classes. These classes would take up copious amounts of space and block people off from using multiple pieces of equipment. Usually what I wanted to use were the battle ropes and medicine balls. Multiple times people would be laid out on their mats in front of the equipment, to which I would politely ask them to move. "We have class in 10 min..." "That's nice, I'll be done in 5".

Repacking weights is a big one in a busy gym because it's how everyone tells the equipment is free and unused as opposed to "I stepped away to the water fountain or something".
  • golfchess6
    golfchess6 Posts: 64 Member
    Texting/playing on the phone while on the machine I’m waiting for…

I bet those people are the same people that are busy texting/playing when the stop light turns green.
  • golfchess6
    golfchess6 Posts: 64 Member
    People drying their clothes in the sauna, gross, stinky smells, too much cologne that gives you a headache and dirty machines.

ha, the joke is on them because the clothes not only stay wet in the sauna but their clothes capture all of the "aroma" from all of the other people in the gym
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    golfchess6 wrote: »
    People drying their clothes in the sauna, gross, stinky smells, too much cologne that gives you a headache and dirty machines.

ha, the joke is on them because the clothes not only stay wet in the sauna but their clothes capture all of the "aroma" from all of the other people in the gym

Aroma?🤢😂 Gross!
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Exercise.

HAHAHAHA

Yeah, cardio, that is a pet peeve for sure for me. I hate cardio.

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    KNoceros wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    KNoceros wrote: »

The same goes for the bars left waaayy above my head height (often loaded) in the rack - although other gym goers are more helpful there when I ask a random person to fish it down for me.

Oh, that person comes to your gym, too? I'm tall enough to be able to get an unloaded bar down from the top setting of the J hooks, but only just, and climbing on a bench is not safe. I'm taller than all except one of our gym staff so if that one is not there I can't really ask a member of staff anyway. Well, I could, but they'd have to climb.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    i have a long list of things that annoy me.... from not wiping machines down (and i dont trust anyone which is why i wipe down not only after but also before my workouts) to not putting away weights or accessories but my #1 most hated offense, that i think should result in an immediate ban from every gym everywhere?
    wearing perfume or cologne while working out.

just GTFO

Ugh, now I'm having flashbacks about the perfumed women who used to use the overhead track the same time I did. I changed times. Come to think of it, I changed gyms. I did move, but that gym was close to work so I didn't really have to change gyms...

We've (hopefully) sold our house and during the inspection the buyer's realtor came to the house wearing way too much perfume...I swear I could still smell it the next day. I want an extra $20,000...
  • Holly1019
    Holly1019 Posts: 43 Member
    Oh my.... there is a guy at my gym who uses his sweat rag to wipe the equipment off. I guess a lot of people have complained. The other day one of the regular morning women (who is pregnant) said he blew his nose into his rag and the wiped down his elliptical. OMG!!!!!