Squat x3
    Bench x3
    Pull ups x3
    Shoulder press x3
    Bosh job done 😀
  • Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 391 Member
    dn6vx5mxj3np.jpeg
    Any advice on what to do regarding my physique? I know I have fat to lose but don’t feel I have much muscle to do that and will look even smaller and weaker. I’m not that bothered about a six pack just want to be bit leaner and actually look like I lift weights 😩
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited August 2021
    assuming your posts here accurately reflect your training, you’re not training with nearly enough frequency to see any appreciable results.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-beginner-prescription/

or maybe crossfit
  • Gymladmatt
    wiigelec wrote: »
    assuming your posts here accurately reflect your training, you’re not training with nearly enough frequency to see any appreciable results.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-beginner-prescription/

or maybe crossfit

I can only train twice per week due to my shifts at work and having kids to look after unfortunately. Can low reps like 3x5 build muscle as I’m wanting to build strength too?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    3x5 doesn’t really tell much. What exercises? What intensity? Twice a week is going to be difficult to achieve your goal. Thrice full body squat press pull at appropriate volume intensity and exercise selection may work better…
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Hi Matthew,

(Been a while, I got myself locked out of my account)

One thing I’ve learned is that even with 4x training per week, progress is quite slow (at least for me). In a full bulk and cut cycle of about 4 months, I gained something like 3-4lbs of muscle. Not a great deal and it’s pretty hard to tell the difference in photos. The most obvious markers of progress for me have been waist measurement (around naval) and body fat percentage measured with callipers. At higher body fat levels I’d imagine you’d probably struggle to see any difference at all.

I’ve made a lot of very visible progress since my start point of October last year but that is almost exclusively down to losing weight.

I think if you want to see progress then you may want to shed some of the body fat. At least then you might be able to see the muscle you build. I know you’re reluctant. The only thing I’ll add is that a smaller waist and not-so-much-smaller chest can give you stronger looking proportions.
  • Gymladmatt
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Hi Matthew,

(Been a while, I got myself locked out of my account)

One thing I’ve learned is that even with 4x training per week, progress is quite slow (at least for me). In a full bulk and cut cycle of about 4 months, I gained something like 3-4lbs of muscle. Not a great deal and it’s pretty hard to tell the difference in photos. The most obvious markers of progress for me have been waist measurement (around naval) and body fat percentage measured with callipers. At higher body fat levels I’d imagine you’d probably struggle to see any difference at all.

I’ve made a lot of very visible progress since my start point of October last year but that is almost exclusively down to losing weight.

I think if you want to see progress then you may want to shed some of the body fat. At least then you might be able to see the muscle you build. I know you’re reluctant. The only thing I’ll add is that a smaller waist and not-so-much-smaller chest can give you stronger looking proportions.

Hi mate, yes seeing little difference is annoying. I’m going to start a slight calorie deficit and increase cardio whilst trying to get stronger and hopefully see some changes, not looking to get really lean just in better condition physique wise
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Are you continuing to make progress on your lifts?
  • Gymladmatt
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Are you continuing to make progress on your lifts?

Slightly, I seem to hit the wall at a certain weight and struggle to lift heavier but have lowered my rep range to maximum 6 reps then increase weight slightly after hit 3 sets of 6.
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Squat x3
    Chin up x3
    Shoulder press x3
    Tricep x3
  • Gymladmatt
    Short workout today due to night shift
    Squat x3
    Chin up x3
    Shoulder press x3
  • Gymladmatt
    No training for a week due to hectic work schedule and lack of decent sleep. Can be hard to train as my job is very physical and long hours unfortunately
  • Gymladmatt
    Back at the gym
    Squat x3
    Bench x3
    Row x3
    Triceps x3
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    I'm a dad. I don't seem to have dad bod. Does that make my body a faux pa?

YOu may not have the dad bod, but you definitely have the dad jokes ... :)
  • Gymladmatt
    Still going and trying to improve my physique but still at the dad bod status 😆
  • Gymladmatt
    Quick session before night shift
    Chin up x3
    Shoulder press x3
    Squat x3
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Hope things are still going well @Gymladmatt !!!
  • bkajo
    bkajo Posts: 32 Member
    Hey @Gymladmatt — this is a GREAT idea!! I‘m going to do the same but am NOT going to post my before picture - HA!

Nice job!! Keep up the great work and Merry Christmas!
  • Gymladmatt
    Restarting the log to keep myself accountable. Just had covid so my first gym session will be tomorrow. Looking to gain strength and hopefully muscle.
    What would you say is the best rep range for muscle growth??