Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Congratulating undereating

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »

With that said, there is a lot of eating disorder folks on this site and many of them stay off the forums. If it bothers you, why not just unfriend them?

Aditionally, if you suspect another member of having an eating disorder you can also report it (through private message) to one of the staff memembers and they can look into it. Thats nova, betty, or durden at this time, but an updated list can always be found here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028709/meet-our-community-team#latest

What about alcohol abuse? Certainly seen a few people with serious problems. I suspect that doesn't fall into their remit sadly.
    I've seen that before. With one person, it was most of their daily calories.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,122 Member
    dfwesq wrote: »

With that said, there is a lot of eating disorder folks on this site and many of them stay off the forums. If it bothers you, why not just unfriend them?

Aditionally, if you suspect another member of having an eating disorder you can also report it (through private message) to one of the staff memembers and they can look into it. Thats nova, betty, or durden at this time, but an updated list can always be found here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028709/meet-our-community-team#latest

What about alcohol abuse? Certainly seen a few people with serious problems. I suspect that doesn't fall into their remit sadly.
    I've seen that before. With one person, it was most of their daily calories.

The hopeful side of me thinks at least they’re logging it. And it might bring them to some kind of Ah Ha! moment.

But my cynical side is pretty sure they’ll just look for some extra vitamins to fill in a few gaps.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    The assumption here is that people are following the same guidelines/calorie setup as you are.

I do not.

I follow TDEE and set my calories for that....but
    My fitbit is sync'd in too...so it adds calories to my total.

I will often complete my diary and it will be "under my calorie goals" but I hit TDEE goal....

So if someone likes it or congrats me it's fine..I am not under eating...
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    Well, the feed isn't moderated, so that's one thing.

The other thing is that it just says, "So-and-so completed her Food diary and was under her goal" so people just click "Like" because, yeah, that's the main goal of most people - to be under and lose weight.

It's the comments of friends of friends that bother me really, I suppose, so I can't really unfriend someone not on my list. How I wish for a block button! I suppose it's the whole toxic undercurrent that irks me bit clearly I'm in the minority of people who actually enjoy nosing at others' food diaries.

I'm new to this, but isn't that the Ignore option after clicking on their names?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    denisekotz wrote: »

The other thing is that it just says, "So-and-so completed her Food diary and was under her goal" so people just click "Like" because, yeah, that's the main goal of most people - to be under and lose weight.

It's the comments of friends of friends that bother me really, I suppose, so I can't really unfriend someone not on my list. How I wish for a block button! I suppose it's the whole toxic undercurrent that irks me bit clearly I'm in the minority of people who actually enjoy nosing at others' food diaries.

I'm new to this, but isn't that the Ignore option after clicking on their names?

IMU, "Ignore" in the Community forums only affects whether you see their forum posts. "Block" is the thing that blocks people from PMs, not sure whether "block" affects other timeline/friend-feed functions.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited August 2021
    It's an issue. Used to fight it with explanation(s). Sorted itself out by self weeding and/or friend pruning. Haven't been adding friends for years and haven't been looking at diaries for almost as long unless specifically asked. So no longer an issue for me :smiley:

I do/did not congratulate under or faintly damn/praise over. "good job logging" is almost as annoying as "good under"... would like to strangle "have a quiet chat with" both... the quality of your logging SHOULD NOT have anything to do with your eating patterns... unless you're commenting on how well I logged that all you can eat sushi buffet, in which case you're right: it WAS good logging!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It's an issue. Used to fight it with explanation(s). Sorted itself out by self weeding and/or friend pruning. Haven't been adding friends for years and haven't been looking at diaries for almost as long unless specifically asked. So no longer an issue for me :smiley:

I do/did not congratulate under or faintly damn/praise over. "good job logging" is almost as annoying as "good under"... would like to strangle "have a quiet chat with" both... the quality of your logging SHOULD NOT have anything to do with your eating patterns... unless you're commenting on how well I logged that all you can eat sushi buffet, in which case you're right: it WAS good logging!

This kind of thing is also why I just turned off all my newsfeed posts other than weight loss and login streaks. Those are also the only updates I "like" when I take a glance through my feed. I'm a bad friend, I rarely post in the feed, I spend most of my time here.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited August 2021
    i used to look at peoples diaries. it wasnt uncommon for me to unfriend someone if i thought they were PURPOSELY under eating. which, usually it would be their own comments (usually multiple comments) that would make me look at their diaries to begin with...

in general though, i just dont look at peoples diaries. its one of those things i dont care about. [snip]

Yes, in the case of my two under-eaters, it was the comments that clued me in that they were purposefully undereating.

Interestingly, I accepted FR from both of them after interacting with them on the forums. Apparently they got too much push back here, as they both stopped being on the forums. I suppose they got what they were looking from on their feeds.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member

Yeah, you can hide peoples' posts in your news feed but still keep them visible in the forums and still have them on your "friend" list.

In the feed you click that little X in the top right of one of their posts, and this appears:

9libsqlvswle.png
  • xxronexx
    xxronexx Posts: 7 Member
    Interesting. I've come from Spark, where we had a calorie range to try and stay in for our desired rate of loss. My friends are from Spark too, so when I've seen the "Under calories", I've assumed they were under the max calories needed for a deficit for their targeted rate of loss here (and that they were "in their range for a sensible rate of weight loss"). Never occurred to me that people might be congratulating folks on disordered eating ... :S Yes, that sentence in the feed "could" be worded better I think.
  • MargaretYakoda
    xxronexx wrote: »
    we had a calorie range to try and stay in for our desired rate of loss.

See, range so much better. And if it wasn't just red. There *should* be a yellow/orange range at user selectable +/- percentage

I definitely miss the range Spark People had.
    I have a difficult time eating enough. So my nutritionist wants me to eat a minimum of 100 carbs daily. So that’s what I have it set at here. My minimum. That I have to hit

And every day MFP wags it’s digital red finger at me. When I actually achieve the goal that’s keeping me healthy and not binging….

Ya. A range definitely would be nice here.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

See, range so much better. And if it wasn't just red. There *should* be a yellow/orange range at user selectable +/- percentage

I have a difficult time eating enough. So my nutritionist wants me to eat a minimum of 100 carbs daily. So that’s what I have it set at here. My minimum. That I have to hit

And every day MFP wags it’s digital red finger at me. When I actually achieve the goal that’s keeping me healthy and not binging….

you can change your macro percentages (even with free)
  • MargaretYakoda

Oh. I mean a range to aim for.
    It is one thing I definitely miss about Spark People.
    I have to hit a minimum of 100 carbs a day. Per my doctor and dietitian.
    So when I actually successfully do that, I get scolded by the software here.

It’s annoying. I would much rather have a setting for a range. In my case that would be 100 to 150 carbs a day (I never get as high as 150)
    In that case red would perhaps be anything above 150, and below 100.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

It’s annoying. I would much rather have a setting for a range. In my case that would be 100 to 150 carbs a day (I never get as high as 150)

just set it for 150 (figure out whatever percentage of your calories that would be or if you have premium i think you can set it as a number)
  • MargaretYakoda

just set it for 150 (figure out whatever percentage of your calories that would be or if you have premium i think you can set it as a number)

That’s the thing though…. I have a problem getting to 100 many days. And must pay attention to that.

Setting it to 150 and ignoring it because it won’t turn red doesn’t solve that problem.