Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How often do you log your weight/weigh yourself?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Once a week. I understand there will be fluctuations. For example, I have been sick for a week, so my diet hasn't been the same. I expect to be up slightly when I weigh in on Saturday. Once I get closer to my goal weight, I may weigh daily.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I feel like there could be an interesting study in comparing people's responses on this thread and the how often do you shower/bathe thread. ;)
  • TurquiseTurtle7
    TurquiseTurtle7 Posts: 16 Member
    I weigh at the same time every day, before eating. I expect about 1 lb of fluctuation on any given day and don't get discouraged by that. I find the daily weigh-ins motivating, plus it's interesting to see what all goes into the fluctuations. I also feel like watching every day allows me to correct course early if something isn't working for me. Probably most of all, I just like the feeling of recording my daily progress. It keeps me mindful throughout the day.
  • If I don't weigh every day and make it a habit, I get intimidated by the scale and try to game it. So I do best weighing every day and watching it fluctuate, because I'm learning my body and what it does. Today I've retained a lot of water since I went to bed physically sore last night, and I got on the scale this morning just to see how much extra water I was going to retain. (5 pounds!) And it's entertaining to correlate the number on the scale with the fit of my clothes. Today I would have known I was retaining water just from the way my clothes fit, and I know that tomorrow I'll want to allow for that too, but by Thursday it should be better.
  • rltolle2015
    rltolle2015 Posts: 7 Member
    I only weigh myself about once every two weeks. I got frustrated weighing more often. When I would see a fluctuation I would throw the whole day out the window. I’m trying to focus more on consistency with healthy habits rather than the scale. It’s working right now but who’s to say I might change it up tomorrow or next month. 🤷‍♀️
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I weigh every 2-3 days. I don't usually log it though, since my focus is staying within my 5 lb. maintenance window and there is often a 1-2 lb. fluctuation that is pretty much meaningless. As long as I am still in that window, I don't worry about it unless it is consistently high or low. I only log the weight change if it is significantly different and makes a difference in my calorie goals (i.e. if I am on the road for a month or more and gain more than 5 lbs., then I want to track the loss.)
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    1-2 times a week. I try not to do anymore or i get obsessed.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Myself, it varies. But I find that there is a direct correlation between consistency of weighing, and the attention I am giving to my diet, fitness, and health. Right now, it is even morning. During the first months of COVID, while I was gaining, it was a miracle if I weighed once a week, or even two.

Now, you may have noticed that you have a wide range of responses. There are people that are motivated by the data of weighing. On the other hand, there are people that find that same information demoralizing. And people all in between. You need to figure out how you will respond to the data and how to customize what is right for you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Daily. Hormonal fluctuations may cause me to "gain" a pound, but it drops after a day or 2.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    I weigh myself and log my food daily, since it's easy to keep track of my weight loss and fluctuations with the myfitnesspal reports. As for when I'm on my menstrual cycle, I tend to just suffer, because honestly, not even food helps with cramps so I figure what's even the point. So no, I don't allow myself extra calories.
  • brankaabbada
    brankaabbada Posts: 29 Member
    Every morning, but log once a week (Saturday )
  • DonnaKelly79
    DonnaKelly79 Posts: 31 Member
    I weigh myself every morning first thing, before I've had anything to drink and usually with approx. the same amount of clothes. I like weighing myself daily, it's a habit. I feel that it keeps me accountable and reminds me of my goals. If I gain a lb or two (fluctuate) I understand it can be water weight so I don't often get down on myself.

I do not eat any differently or allot any additional calories based on my cycle. I think if other women need to, great - have a healthy snack, for myself I don't notice any additional hunger or cravings.
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    I used to weigh once a month, the day after my period ended, in the morning, without clothes, before eating or drinking and after a bowel movement. That will give you the most accurate measurement.

Then I tried Noom, and they want you to weigh daily, so I got into that habit. I don't stress too much over daily fluctuations, and still oookay more attention to the end of period weight, but it's good to know what's going on.

It's not uncommon for it to fluctuate 2 pounds day to day, and 8-10 pounds between the week before my period and the day after.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Once a week. I also took pictures and measurements and will be measuring once a week as well 👍🏽
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2020
    I weigh daily. I used to log the weight in Libra every single day, but now that I've been maintaining for a few years, it's more like 3-4 times a week, whenever I remember. That seems to be enough data to keep me on track.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I am another daily weigh-in person. I track trends though: the average (=mean) over the month to date and now, as I have reached the top of my planned maintenance range, my rolling 7-day average.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    I weigh myself and log my weight everyday. I need the accountability. It helps me keep an eye on changes and trends in my body.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    When my goal was weight-loss, daily.

Now that my goal is weight-maintenance, weekly.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Prater1994 wrote: »
    Also, for women, when on your menstrual, do you normally wait until after to weigh, and do you allow yourself extra calories during?

i weigh myself daily and log it in happy scale. i log it in mfp weekly. but daily fluctuations dont bother me. the scale has been up 2 pounds yesterday and today from the 3 pieces of pizza for dinner tuesday night. its water/sodium. not real weight. no biggie. itll flush out over the next couple of days. water weight from TOM is no different.

no i do not allow myself extra calories for TOM. thats ridiculous. you do you though. ironically enough i came across an OLD very similar thread to this i had replied on from probably 5 or 6 years ago just yesterday. if you truly feel you need something to eat, then eat but you probably really dont. My habits and schedule (eating, workout) are no different during that time, than during the rest of the month.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Every Saturday after excercise and shower all nekkid like.

(Ok, I kinda got into the habit of doing a pre-weigh in before exercise and shower and only half nekkid like.)

I keep track of the weekly weight and then average out at the end of the month and log it then.

so i dont have my reading glasses on and i read 'like' as 'bike' and thought you were riding your bike half nekkid (as in... outside) and yeah. that was quite the metal image. dont mind me. im in pain and a bit delirious. and a bit semi blind. :D