Downsizers - Team Chat SEPTEMBER 2021

minstrelofsarcasm
minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
edited September 2021 in Social Groups
1705f69305d08d542cd0c4f37ab51f14.jpg

Here is your Team chat room for September 2021. This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed!

We have six great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Teresa - @TeresaW1020
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shrinking Assets - @Beka3695 and @TheMrWobbly

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @TheresaM787 and @Poobah1972
Mission Slimpossibles - @AustinRuadhain @katmary71 and @trooworld
Trimstones - @angmarie28
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods
Shrinking Assets - @hipari

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail! At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also track those small, steady losses with the Green Week count. If you lose, however small an amount, it counts for 1 week in the green. At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:

Username
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you take a break, you are moved to the Support Team. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month begin!!

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    edited August 2021
    Can you believe it is almost September already? This year as flown by ...My name is Megan and I am the co-captain of this amazing team along with our wonderful captain Linda... I have been with this outstanding supportive group over a year and I absolutely love it ... I am also one of the moderator's so if there is any problems or anything please let me know ... I am also in charged of recruiting so if you are new you have already met me when I put you on a team :) I am a single mom of 2 ... I have a son named Austin who is 21 and just got married and is in the Navy ... I also have an almost 16 year old daughter named Alyssa she is my mini me ... I have home schooled her since day 1 she is a Junior in High School (I can not believe it) I am an animal lover ... I have 2 dogs a husky named Aspen and a German Shepherd named Dakota ... I have 2 grandma cats named Kylie and Mocha they are both calicos ....and I have a very talkative parrot named Petey (not sure who talks more him or myself) lol.... I was born in Alberta Canada ...I was adopted at 9 weeks old ... I have lived in California from 2nd grade until now (I am 50) ... I am wanting to build my dream home in Colorado ...I am an open book so if you want to know more about me feel free to ask :)

I am in charge of our step challenge so if you are new and interested in joining please just give me a number of steps you plan to hit daily and post your steps in our chat ..If anyone wants to be added , removed , Excused , change their step count please let me know :)
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,501 Member
    Hi all and welcome to the Downsizers September team chat! My name is Linda and I am one of the team captains. My counterpart is the amazing Megan aka @Megan_smartiepants1970. Our motivator is Jonathan aka @Poobah1972.

I am originally from Newfoundland but I live in Southwestern Ontario. I am 57 years old, married, retired due to a disability and have 3 adult children. I also have 3 beautiful granddaughters and will have another one come early November. Hayley and Norah live in Ontario but little Stella lives in Scotland. I am hoping to make a trip to Scotland this fall. I have two fat cats, Nick and Lady.

I struggled with my weight since the birth of my son 34 years ago. So I have been overweight most of my adult life. I started my weight loss journey in February 2019 and have been with F2F ever since. I have had a couple of ups and downs since starting my journey but I never gave up. As of today, I have lost 60 pounds. I have a bad back and neuropathy so my exercise choices are limited. My main form of exercise is swimming and workouts in the pool. I will be travelling the first few weeks of the September challenge so I will be setting my goals when I return.

• lindamtuck2018
    Housekeeping

Weigh In
    I will post a weigh in reminder every day. If you can’t weigh in just let me know. Please use the following format for reporting your weight as it makes it much easier for us to find. Let me know if you need to change your weigh in day or have to miss a week.

Username
    Weigh In Day:
    PW (Previous Weight):
    CW (Current Weight):

Daily Check In
    Checking in daily is important. It is the key to making the group work for you. You can do this is any format you want. Things you may want to report could include calories, exercise, water intake, goals or anything you want to share. Share your successes with the team, any struggles or questions you may have.

Step Challenge
    Megan takes care of the step challenge. She will make a post with everything you need to know.

Other Resources
    On the main page of our group you will find many resources. This is where you will find the idea lounge, recipe sharing, weekly challenges and the habit tracker.

If you have any suggestions for the group please let myself, Megan or Jonathan know.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb
    5. What is your favourite way to workout?
    6. What are some of your goals this month?
    7. What do you expect to gain from the team?
  • THUNDER5453
    THUNDER5453 Posts: 23 Member
    Greg here I live in Washington in a little logging town in the foothills of Mount Rainer
    I am a retired Culinary Arts Instructor, Sous Chef, Savory Chef and Exec. Chef. I also am a Master Baker.
    I am married to Marcie whom is my very best friend and partner of 30+ years and we have 2 boys who both have their own families.
    I also am an Ostomate with short gut and short bowel syndrome. Which means I have an Ileostomy that is non reversal.

I needed to rejoin this group so I can push my little Sis and she can push me as I really need it.
    Carbs, Pasta, Rice, Breads anything that is not good for me I tend to over indulge in it.
    4. Do you have a favorite diet you go by? IE keto, low carb
    As a member of the Ileostomy Society I am on a Very High Protein Meal Plan followed with gallons and gallons of hydration drinks. I tend to include some of the Bariatric meals plan s
    5. What is your favorite way to workout?
    Leslie Sansone, Silver and Fit, weekly Walking Challenges on FitBit with the Magnificent 7
    I haven't set any monthly goals as I tend not to follow through with them. However that being said I do set weekly goal with my Nutritionist and PTSD Counselor.
    I haven't set any expectations for the group, I am going to dip my toes in and test the water before I jump into the deep end.
  • lindamtuck2018
    @THUNDER5453
    Greg it’s great to have you back. Fitbit walking challenges can be fun. Mari is a good person to have giving you a push.
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited August 2021
    See my introduction above

I was to the point my weight was causing health problems. Also, I wanted to keep up with my grandkids. Fear pushed me to start. I didn’t want to see where I would be in 10 years if I didn’t change.

Crunchy, salty food such as potato chips. I have to limit how much comes into my house. ie individual size bag instead of family size

I count calories and do a modified intermittent fasting

Without a doubt it’s swimming. I am having withdrawals as I didn’t go today.

I will set some concrete goals mid September after my holidays. My goal until then is to be very aware of what I am eating. I will be without a food scale for 2 weeks and will not be doing the cooking.

I think I would like to continue to receive the support of the team.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member

Read my September introduction
    I have been overweight since having kids ... I started back in Dec. 2018 but then went to the hospital with the flu/pneumonia and found out I was type 2 diabetic
    Pistachios are my downfall ... if I do not measure them out I will eat the entire 32 oz bag but right now I am avoided them since I have no control at this time
    I absolutely love keto but right now while I am sick I am not following any diet
    My favorites is walking my husky with my daughter but again since I am sick that hasn't happened in 2 weeks ughh
    #1 get better ...#2 find out the results of my covid test #3 hopefully to participate/weigh in with our amazing team
    I too would like to continue receiving/giving support to the wonderful team :)
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Um... I'm tired. lol

I'm Poobah / Jonathan... I'm a man-child of 49 (On my last good year before I start rolling down the other side of the hill). I was well over 500 pounds... Lost quite a bit in 2019, gained most of it back but not all in 2020... And got real serious about getting healthy on January 9th of this year 2021.

I quite smoking on a Friday in April, starting walking the day after. Starting lifting weights on May 24th, 2021 (day after my birthday). So far, I'm down 114 pounds in that time (maybe more, weigh-in is Monday 🤞)... My resting heart rate as dropped form somewhere in the 80's to 68. I've practically doubled my strength, and added significant amount muscle mass.

My fiance has been on this journey each step of the way... She's 4'7 and has lost over 42 pounds in the same time frame, and let me tell you 42 pounds on a 4'7 frame is huge. All told she's down something like 62 pounds since 2019.

We both follow a keto life style, and figured out how to make the most amazing KETO Bread, which we bake every week. It contains NO ALMOND OR COCONUT FLOUR. It's exactly like real bread, feel, flavor, consistency, everything and it's the same amount of calories as a slice of wonder bread. Cept it's all good for you and only has 1.7 carbs. In fact we eat really good all the time. And even found the perfect pasta, and just about every other thing we could ever crave in a low carb variety.

And we are never hungry... In fact neither myself or Lynn have had a single thing to eat (except water) on Sunday since the end of January... So that's 35ish Sundays in a row we essentially have fasted for36 hours. And yes, hardly ever get hungry, which we like to think of as KETO/FAST MAGIC cause it just is.

You might think is that good for you? I don't know... But since we both continue to get stronger and add muscle mass each and every week... It sure doesn't seem to be hurting... In fact my weight loss seems to be speeding up over the last 2 months? Which isn't typical. I guess we will see if this keeps up? I'm assuming eventually it will slack off a bit but I'll ride this wave while I can.

Anyway.. that's about it.. :)

• Poobah1972
    Hi, I am Deb, soon to be 58 year old, 5'7" female. I have gained and lost weight three times in my life. My weight tends to get out of control when am depressed and alone. I have lost 60, 96, and currently 87 pounds and weigh the lightest that I ever have.

In March 2020 I started out with a binge eating disorder, financial stress, severe depression caused by the cancellation of my long time boyfriend's and my wedding and a suppressed immune system from transplants, stage 4 kidney disease, obesity and high blood pressure.
    Covid arrived within an hour of my home in March 2020 and I realized that needed better health to improve my odds of survival. Began starving myself until black spots would flicker behind my eyes but knew this unsustainable. Discovered MFP and began weighing, measuring and logging my food per MFP's calorie and activity set up. Every morning said 5 long term goals to myself and weighed and recorded my weight. Started walking in April. At firs could only walk 10 minutes before became too winded. Started lifting some light dumbbells until June when the free recreation center weight room opened.

In November 2020 my boyfriend caught covid. He isolated and worked from home until Thanksgiving when his youngest adult daughter drove him an hour away to the nearest hospital taking Covid patients. He made out his will and texted me everyday until Dec. 7 when he went on a ventilator. Suffocating was his worst fear. He died on Dec. 9, 2020, his birthday.
    I had received therapy in January for the eating disorder and low self esteem. Used healthy habits instead of food to get through this time. The habits provided a sense of consistency and comfort as I had control over that aspect of life. After his passing the silence was painful as he was always talking, puttering or playing his guitar. His children let me have the guitar he used to serenade me with.

Continued losing weight and exercising. As weight has gone down began fainting and falling in the morning when would get up. Have been off my feet since April when ripped the skin off the bottom of right toe. Am having skin grafts but healing is slow due to steroids that I take for kidney/pancreas transplant. Still losing slowly despite diet breaks, diet failures and no activity. Started at 223.4 lbs. on March 8, 2020 and weighed 136 lbs. on Aug. 24, 2021. Am almost togoal. I would like to lose to below slightly above 130 and maintain at 135. Will see a plastic surgeon in mid September to discuss if I can even have surgery, what would be an option to me and associated costs and fees. Will not have surgery for a while as want to finish skin grafts and build some fitness back up and maintain for a while.

Currently, don't check in often but do read everyone's posts. Not a great MFP friend as I just am not the message writer that I was when beginning.

Wishing you welcome and success on your continuing health journey.

Oh man I had no idea... And I wish I read this before I wrote out mine. My condolences, I couldn't imagine how I would do in a similar situation. Glad your nearing goal though, and getting sorted out etc. Do take care.

Jonathan
  • Poobah1972
    Evening Everyone... 🌜

I wasn't around too much today... Heck I haven't even checked my Instagram even once to this very second. (mostly because I forgot my phone at home today.)

I'm home, we were late getting started, but Leg day is done. Well sort of, we skipped out on Shrugs and Calf Raises as we messed around trying various methods to do Band leg presses. None of them working out as intended, but we had a few laughs. 😆👍

The Goodnews is... Moving up to 275-pound Hex Bar Deadlifts was a WIN... Managed 8 reps in the first 2 sets and that more then makes me happy. I'm going to go ahead and move it up another 5 pounds next week, simply cause. 😜 Leg extensions were really good compared to last week... Leg curls need more work.

So yeah, we tried various methods to do leg press, which didn't quite work, but tomorrow I think I can make my original idea work, if we turn the whole thing around and try it from the other side. Add the safety bars and dip bars to secure ourselves as we press with our legs (So we don't slide off the bench in the process). It's all pretty tough, cause legs are so damn strong, you need an incredible amount of resistance to make the legs work extremely hard. In fact, maybe it's just not a good idea, and we should just stick to squat type movements. But we will try again just to rule out a few things.

Funny moment... At one point we gave up trying to use the rack and bars to make a leg press and I tried just to use my body. Sitting on the edge of the bench I put both my feet on the Thickest heaviest duty band I had. Then I bent over, lowered my head as best I could, and used both hands to drive the elastic up and over my head so it was around my neck. It took a good effort as the purple band is 140lb resistance. so now that I got my band around both feet and stretched around my neck I could sit up, and then rock back to lay on the bench, as my feet come up at the same time. However, there is too much tension for me to raise me feet easily to a good starting position. to begin the leg presses. And the bands slip off my feet and under the bench. I'm now firmly tied to the Bench, with a look of shock as for a moment I wonder if there is any way out of this mouse trap. 🤣😅😂

Lynn watching the whole thing burst out laughing... In fact, she may have tingled. I cannot say for certain. 🤣👍😀😊

Thank fully it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. lol

Anyway, I know a traditional leg press can be done much like I did on the bench but laying on the ground... Maybe that's worth a shot. Just how many bands might I have to use, and how comfortable will it be? (more messing around to come I guess.)

We messed around so much with the leg press, and 2 hours had already gone by that we just called it a night... Calf Raises and Shrugs can wait till next week. We had supper to make still and the boys were getting ornery!

Okay I better get going.... and I'll throw in a last-minute Flex. 💪😋 Good night Everyone! 🤗

9tvafv0nyvfn.jpg
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Good morning Fat2Fit team members! :)
    Here is the new habit tracker for this month. Just click the link and follow the instructions. SEPTEMBER HABIT TRACKER
    ivmitztuzg4d.jpg
  • lindamtuck2018
    @Beautyofdreams
    Your story is amazing and so are you. You have pushed through so many obstacles and keep on succeeding. It’s been an inspiration to watch your journey since you joined the team.

@Poobah1972
    It’s very impressive that you quit smoking and lost weight. Usually people gain so kudos to you. When I read your workouts I think of ways to incorporate the exercise into my pool weight workout. Thanks for all the ideas.

@jayenguk
    I love your goal of keeping at it. That is so important. Thanks for being a nurse especially during the pandemic.
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Good morning everyone. Happy saturday.

I will do my intro later, when I get on the laptop.

Check in for 8/27:
    Steps - 4629 plus recumbent bike 22 minutes moderate.
    Calories - 1675 or so. I already forgot from 10 minutes ago.
    Exercise - gym. 5 machines and bike. 20 minutes interval training and 2 minutes cooldown, which I didn't slow down.

I wanted to do more machines but people were claiming the machines and just standing around chatting. Frustrating. There was 1 mask in the building, mine, even though the state made the suggestion for all to wear them.
This discussion has been closed.