Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member

I guess I just have to wait.

Terribly sorry, was going for that and then had a brain fart about my aunt and went with the wrong recipe. :D
    Let me rectify in a bit!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    edited August 2021
    @Dante_80 you'll have to rescue them from the nightmare I proposed 😹❣️

Bella I don't know if I like your dog. Or maybe I do know that I like your **kitten** dog! 😹
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,609 Member
    I'm excited...I saw there were new posts in the recipe thread - but I haven't look yet because the anticipation itself is so delicious :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    What would you all serve with BBQ chicken? Most likely thighs. Maybe legs. Baked in the oven (apartment so no grill) and with a mustard BBQ sauce.

I always struggle with sides.
  • lauriekallis
    woohoo! thank you, Dante!
  • PAV8888
    Higher or lower cal @Athijade ?

From cauliflower rice with a bit of Knorr to pre-boiled potatoes or cut down to size ones that you bake/BBQ with chicken and same sauce in same pan, to carrots instead or along with the potatoes in the oven...
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    What would you all serve with BBQ chicken? Most likely thighs. Maybe legs. Baked in the oven (apartment so no grill) and with a mustard BBQ sauce.

I always struggle with sides.

I would have corn on the cob and green beans….or slaw
  • lauriekallis
    I would have potato salad (in another lifetime) and slaw with corn in it.
  • conniewilkins56
    Corn does not belong IN slaw….where do you all get these ideas?
  • lauriekallis
    oxwdxmwxiqg9.jpg
  • lauriekallis
    But corn is good in slaw!

My supper is some leftovers from Sunday's celebration where I went all Polish in the kitchen.
    Veggie borscht, with the last few unwilted sprigs of dill and ... sour cream (that fat macro
    Sauteed cabbage and onion, I made too much to fit into the pie (yes Connie - cabbage pie :p )
    Veggie sausages, 3 little ones (the things I'm supposed to be giving up)
    a spoonful of avjar-roasted red pepper spread
    and another spoonful of sour cream (yeah fat macro!)

Feels so decadent to have soup and a plate of food!

Cabbage is another one of those things that have seen me through this weight loss adventure. Cabbage and Potatoes. About as basic as you can get, but surprisingly filling for their calories - and not bad for you!
  • conniewilkins56
    I like cabbage and I like pie….cabbage does not make a pie!…that is just wrong!
  • PAV8888
    A pie by any other name... is still a pie! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    I thought you would both like that - both in your own unique way :)
  • PAV8888
    You could make a crustless pie with potatoes and cabbage Laurie too, and Sriracha! That way you could avoid the whole baking hassle Connie insists on! Like a Sheppard's pie, which, incidently Connie, is a pie, cause NAME🤯😘
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I've been on a BBQ pulled pork kick lately - specifically, the Cade's Cove brand that comes in a microwaveable package. The sauce is very light, so it's very reasonable on calories and I eat it either on whole wheat hamburger buns or just all by itself. Had that for lunch today and then Mom and I went out to dinner and a couple hours of bowling. I tried to pick a fairly low cal menu option, although it was a complete guess since this was a local restaurant with no nutrition info available. I settled on the chicken marsala with mashed potatoes and broccolini, and ate a little over half the portion. Feeling pretty bloated after that meal and expecting to see the consequences on the scale in the morning!
  • PAV8888
    Sounds like a nice and reasonable outing though! And bowling tends to be fun 👍
  • lauriekallis
    Bowling sounds like so much fun! So nice to see the world coming back to normal! Let's hope it continues through the fall and winter.

Yes - crustless next time - but will still maybe give it a bake. But for this past Sunday I didn't want to annoy my kids (grown men...lol) too much with another crazy-*kitten* vegetarian mom dish. Cabbage pie was pushing it. But the crust helped :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I think I am going to do potatoes/carrots/onions roasted like Pav suggested. This is similar to something we used to make on the grill when I was a kid.

And then some green beans like Connie suggested.

Love the other suggestions too. Just want to keep it to one starchy side and one non starch veggie side. Balance and all that.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Back from Alaska and getting settled in!

Yesterday we smoked 4 fillets of salmon (that we caught in Valdez). We ate 2 small ones, vacuum packed the big one, and are having the other one for supper tonight. Getting out of vacation eat-all-the-things mindset has been hard but also feels good. I missed cooking and do like being in more control of my food options. Breakfast was a bunch of dried mango and a coffee with low-calorie hot chocolate mix. I'm not sure what lunch will be yet. Maybe a jar of soup?