Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    But corn is good in slaw!

you are very obviously not from the south. green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots. then your dressing. now, theres two lines of religion on dressing. mayonnaise based or vinegar based. since i am anti religion, I dont like either one, so mix the two. equal parts mayo and apple cider vinegar. grated onion. sugar. copious amounts of celery seed. bit of honey. salt. pepper. and if you try to put raisins in my coleslaw ill dump the whole bowl on your head LOL

i will just pretend i did not see the atrocity that you spoke of... corn in coleslaw. good grief lol

for supper tonight .... tacos.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Easy slaw ( no corn, raisins or vinegar or celery seed )

You buy shredded cabbage in a bag….dice onions and celery, salt and pepper…add slaw dressing out of a bottle….stir and put in bowl!…….slaw!
  • conniewilkins56
    Tonight’s dinner is a shrimp platter from Publix, tossed salad and air fryer baked potatoes with light sour cream, diced onions and bacon bits…..dessert is coffee and biscotti…snack later is peanut butter on an apple!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,724 Member
    My slaw recipes:

Regular slaw: Shredded white cabbage; grated/finely chopped white onion; roughly grated carrot; a small grind of sea salt; a good dollop of mayo.

Asian slaw (a zingy, fresh-tasting slaw that marries perfectly with pulled pork or crispy shredded duck):
    Shredded white cabbage; coarsely grated carrot; finely chopped red chilli; julienned sharp unpeeled apple (pref. granny smith or similar); finely chopped spring onion; juice and zest of a lime; splash of white wine vinegar.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    add slaw dressing out of a bottle….stir and put in bowl!…….slaw!

i think my heart just stopped

i may need to keep a defibrillator in my house.... :D

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    edited September 2021
    Bag of three colored coleslaw (green cabbage, tiny bit of red and trace carrots).

Seasoning, especially salt to mush the slaw if feeling like seasoning and not just plain

Optionally add onions fresh by preference but it's not like I'm going to turn my nose down for non fresh

Maybe some vinegar especially if salted, or even better:

0% Greek yogurt.

Deal with it! 😘
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I've never met a coleslaw I liked, but will tolerate it on certain sandwiches, like pulled pork sliders 😝

Dinner tonight was frozen pizza, a brand called Urban Farmer that I hadn't tried before. It was a spinach and artichoke pizza on a broccoli and cauliflower crust and was tastier than expected! 940 cals for the entire pizza, I split it 50/50 with Mom and it was pretty filling.
  • conniewilkins56
    My slaw recipes:

Regular slaw: Shredded white cabbage; grated/finely chopped white onion; roughly grated carrot; a small grind of sea salt; a good dollop of mayo.

Asian slaw (a zingy, fresh-tasting slaw that marries perfectly with pulled pork or crispy shredded duck):
    Shredded white cabbage; coarsely grated carrot; finely chopped red chilli; julienned sharp unpeeled apple (pref. granny smith or similar); finely chopped spring onion; juice and zest of a lime; splash of white wine vinegar.

Shaking my head….nothing goes with duck…..ewwwwww!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    My slaw recipes:

i have 20 ducks outside right now throwing a riot for their dinner (along with the chickens and goats). We are ignoring them for the moment.

We dont eat them though. We just want them for their eggs. LOL
  • conniewilkins56
    My slaw recipes:

i have 20 ducks outside right now throwing a riot for their dinner (along with the chickens and goats). We are ignoring them for the moment.

I rarely eat an egg….I know I won’t eat a duck egg!
  • PAV8888

Like hunting wabbits!
  • PAV8888
    Bella your slaw is way too beautiful (and complicated)....

My slaw went in the bottom of a glass(lock) container (60 Cal worth). I nuked it for 2 minutes. Poured scalding water over it. Sunk my nest of non deep fried ("light") noodles with all the little packets worth 340 Cal in there too. Nuked it for a while. Didn't look soupy enough when I got up from the computer to eat it... broke 5g of knorr in there (out of low sodium knorr so I took the hit) and added another 250g of hot water... lunch was served! :wink:

Ooops: got to go back and log the knorr! I forgot to!!! :blush:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,594 Member
    After all yesterdays slaw talk - I made slaw today - and because it was a busy day, with the Boy, and we were having neighbours over for dinner (and the Boy thought we should have tacos - which is tricky when the cook is vegetarian and trying to figure out how to round out veggie tacos enough to make a fun meal for non-vegetarian guests), we went all out on the slaw front.

A lazy version of slaw though because carrying a head of cabbage home with all the other fun and exciting dinner stuff was just too heavy, so rather than shaving cabbage myself I bought a nice light bag of "Kale" slaw - with KALE, green and red cabbage and BROCOLLI! - added some grated carrot and CORN and then realized that I don't have mayo in the fridge anymore so figured maybe I could use some tahini to make the oil/white balsamic vinegar based dressing I made a bit creamier - but it tasted odd so I just had to go all out with some lemon juice, then some sugar, then a bit of lime juice, then some white wine vinegar.

By the end it was pretty good!

The entire time I was thinking of Connie and her corn in slaw aversion - but now that I read all today's posts and I learn that there is such a thing as a slaw religion, I realize that my kitchen concoctions were truly the act of a heretic.

And - we put pineapple in the salsa!!!!! (almost wanted to put some in the slaw - but figured we already had the sweet yellow corn so pineapple would be overkill :) )
  • conniewilkins56
    On a cruise I tried pineapple in slaw and it was ok….

Pineapple is good in “ pineapple” salsa….not in regular salsa!

Can not convince me to eat duck or duck eggs or goose eggs….
  • conniewilkins56
    Tonight I am fixing salads and I am having Zuchinni spaghetti and John is having real spaghetti….
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2021
    See Connie, you've moved over to the vegetetti dark side! :scream:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    My slaw recipes:

oh ill take a duck egg over a chicken egg ANY day

I get irate if all I have are chicken eggs.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    On a cruise I tried pineapple in slaw and it was ok….

Pineapple is good in “ pineapple” salsa….not in regular salsa!

Can not convince me to eat duck or duck eggs or goose eggs….

bake with duck eggs instead of chicken eggs.

youll never go back. promise.

i dont do seafood much anymore, because hubby doesnt like it, so now its only if hes doing travel work (which he hasnt in a couple of years) or sometimes for lunch, but I used to make a pineapple salsa thats good on a lot of things, but I liked it on fish tacos in particular or on salmon. and that for me, is a free for all of whatever you have that sounds good in it. I usually did lime, cilantro (just a little cause a little goes a long way), pineapple, tomato, sometimes corn (lol), and i dont remember what else ive tossed in it before. oh avocado. that was good.
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    See Connie, you've moved over to the vegetetti dark side! :scream:

I love real pasta but you get such a bigger portion if you use Zuchinni….I layer nice meaty slices with CLASSICO ( I switched because of you! ) and diced onions, sliced mushrooms, Parmesan (1T. ) and a half cup (56 g. ) of shredded cheese….a little minced garlic…..it’s good with ricotta,too but I have a bowl of honey dew and watermelon I want later so I am saving some calories….

I even bought a tub of plain Greek yogurt….what do I do with it?

Still no canned fishies except the salmon that is still sitting in my pantry….