IDebraK
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Start weight: 160
    PW: 146.2
    CW: 146.2
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited September 2021
    Good morning evening, WNM! Welcome to all the new ladies & gents!

I'm Melanie and I'm from Kansas. I’m the other team Co-captain. Truly, Ashley, @minstrelofsarcasm, does most of the heavy lifting (literally, too, as she...well, lifts). Ashley is the good example. I'm...the other one (horrible warning?).

I was always was skinny (no, not thin, skinny, all knees and elbows). At 18, I weighed between 110 and 120 at 5"6'. Maybe. When I got married at 24…I weighed maybe 160. But I was a happier person. I've got none of the reasonable reasons for gaining...no kiddos, just the husband. I got out of school (no more climbing those KU hills all the time), started working more sedentary jobs, started eating more, snacking, until about 5 years ago August, when I found myself weighing in about 230 and my six sixteens were too small. I bought a couple pairs of 18 pants from the thrift store and joined MFP.

I lost ~70 pounds in about a year and was pretty pleased. But I wanted another 20 off...and it didn't move. And things got a bit crazy with my husband's family (we won’t talk about that—it always leads to crazy-pants ranting)...so I decided to maintain for a bit and then come back. What came back was most of the weight. So...now I'm here and working on losing 60 pounds (40 of the 50 I 'found' and the 20 I never lost).

My special snowflake challenges
    I'm fairly significantly asthmatic (on meds all the time), have terrible allergies and connective tissue issues (not enough collagen, too stretchy, lots of joint slippage). Last August, I acquired some vertigo problems (or, maybe they just got worse)... I think it is sinus related and many of those problems have now resolved, after switching ENT’s. July was a struggle vertigo-wise, as was last week, and I’m off coffee as a result (this is very sad…I LOVE coffee, my dive into a half-calf cup last week was clearly a bad idea). The point behind saying this is not woe-is-me, it is that a lot of exercise people promote is bad, and sometimes dangerous, for me.

Mostly, I walk. I do a bit of yoga now and then (though it isn't recommended with the connective tissue thing...but feels good. Love up and down dog...) and have pilates vids I do sometimes. I should do these more and strength training (can be good for connective tissue issues) but I'm still not there yet. A few times a year, I go all out at gardening (it is that time of the year, if only it would stop raining...I keep thinking I will do some YouTube LesMills BodyFlow videos…I like those a lot. But haven’t done it. Still. Thinking. About. It…yes, for four months now.

My 2021 Goal
    My 2020 goal was Wonderland…but that was before the asthma insanity of the end of November and three rounds of Prednisone. Did NOT Happen. I’m there ish now. So…WOOT! I was 199 two weeks ago but weight fluctuations and water weight and stress eating put me a bit higher than that right now (yesterday I was 3 lbs lighter than Sat weigh in). It will come off.
    I have a closet full of size 10's that I want to wear.
    Back to Wedding Weight (165) before the end of the year. Maybe lower...

Daily goals:
    • Walk at least 30 minutes a day or do an exercise video.
    • Get back to doing core exercises every day.
    • 80 oz of water or non-alcoholic liquid a day, mostly water. (I don't drink much in the way of alcohol generally, but just clarifying...long, ugly family history of substance abuse makes me very cautious)
    • Cut down on sugar and junk food (reducing sugar is generally helping, I turn into the munch monster when I eat candy...see: cookie monster's blond sister...). I haven’t joined the challenge officially. But, like Les Mills…I’m thinking about it.
    The peanut M & M’s at my desk are gone. So are all the jelly beans. There are a few cookies. A few granola bar ish things…

I want to congratulate all our losers from August! I am super proud of all of you! 😊 And several of you have maintained, which is terrific, too. Not seeing losses or not seeing the losses you want can be disheartening. Don’t give up! Think of all the things you have accomplished…you can do anything you put your mind to!

Welcome to the team newbies! I’ve sent friend requests to all of you (many have already added). Looking forward to getting to know you all!

This evening I spent a couple hours reading an Ethiopian cookbook. I've been cooking Ethiopian style food for 25 ish years now and this cookbook has explained things I wondered about but did not fully understand. I shall be making more Ethiopian in the near future to test these ideas. Was super amused by the author referring to a fairly common leaf men chew in Ethiopia, and other parts of Africa, called khat. It is used similarly to chewing tobacco in the States (which I think is kinda gross, being very anti-tobacco, but, hey, everybody has their thing). Anyway, this is amusing for me because when I was still working in the Correctional system (dark ages), one of the trainings I built for staff was about designer drugs and new drug trends mentioned khat (circa...2015? wait, now is the dark ages, what with covid...what does that make 2015?). This training (and the documentation used to create it and all references provided to me) made it sound like the next big drug epidemic...the author of the cookbook makes khat use sound like a bunch of old men sitting around shooting the breeze having a coffee. It's all about perspective.
  • lennoncpa
    lennoncpa Posts: 777 Member
    Username: lennoncpa
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Last week's weight: 137.8
    Current weight: 138.4
    Steps: 56,041
  • lennoncpa
    lennoncpa Posts: 777 Member
    @seltzer_lover so Your downfall is croutons! We all have our “thing”! Don’t you think?? I live alone nowadays as my kids are grown and out of the house and they laugh when they come over and my refrigerator is empty except for vegetables and hummus. I don’t have to do any sneak eating living alone so I just don’t keep those trigger foods in my house. By the way, are you really a seltzer lover? That’s actually all I drink. Either sparkling water, club soda or seltzer! San Pellegrino being my favorite!
  • dbrinkmeyer
    dbrinkmeyer Posts: 94 Member
    dbrinkmeyer
    PW 187
    CW 185.6
    Steps 21788

Tracking is helping me stay on task. I lost that weigh since Sunday. My calorie limit is 1350 and since I have been tracking it on Sunday, I'm staying under my goal and actually not minding this at all.

When I went to Unleash the Power Within in 2018, it didn't really surprise me to learn that I had a HIGH need for variety, but I didn't really attach it to a conflict with weight loss.

I can't STAND eating the exact same menu over and over. I like to take advantage of foods that are on sale that are on my approved to eat list. I like using left overs instead of wasting them just to stay on my menu.

This week I learned that I could "plan" my food ahead for the day and adapt if I go over or under so that by the end of the day I didn't overeat and didn't feel deprived or hungry.

I hope the next 7 days go as well.
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,053 Member
    that was a surprise getting on the scale yesterday so I wanted to double check today just to make sure. Not really sure how that happened and hope it keeps happening but as we all know for me I lose a few and gain some more, i am hoping to break out of that cycle though. The dr had me start taking mucinex for my small cold I had and it has now gotten out of control. I should have never have taken it. I am going to start closing the pool this weekend. I'm doing my share of things by putting away all the pool toys. With my husband having covid I cannot take care of the pool, I can only dump in chemicals and push the brush around. I don't know how to vacuum or even turn it off and on. So its turning green. Good thing the weather is cooling off. I think for Christmas I am buying him a pool vacuum. I know he will say it's really for me and hes right, lol.
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Nice loss @ljdanny and @dbrinkmeyer !

Racherjh
    Weigh in Friday
    Pw:143 lbs
    Cw: 144 lbs.

I’m feeling okay with this. I’m cutting back on sugar for the month. I’m thinking next week I’ll see a loss of at least one or two pounds.
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    lennoncpa wrote: »
    @seltzer_lover so Your downfall is croutons! We all have our “thing”! Don’t you think?? I live alone nowadays as my kids are grown and out of the house and they laugh when they come over and my refrigerator is empty except for vegetables and hummus. I don’t have to do any sneak eating living alone so I just don’t keep those trigger foods in my house. By the way, are you really a seltzer lover? That’s actually all I drink. Either sparkling water, club soda or seltzer! San Pellegrino being my favorite!

@lennoncpa - Yes! I really do love seltzer. We always had a bottle of it on the table at dinner so I grew up with it. And I'm with you on the croutons - I just can't keep them in the house. I also live alone so can completely set myself up for success, which is lucky. It just makes me laugh because it's such a strange food to be unable to control oneself around.
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Kandi3570
    PW 172.8
    CW 171.6

Steps this week. ???? I’ll give a count but my fitbit is losing charge quickly so it’s not correct.

Steps this week 46664
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 406 Member
    Zumba_luvah
    Pw- 172.8
    Cw- 176
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    Melaniedscott
    Sat weigh day
    PW: 206.2
    CW: 203.3

And that is after eating and entire order of Phad Thai for dinner--I usually aim for half but I was very hungry last night.
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 944 Member
    kroderick wrote: »
    Hey everyone! My name is Kimberly and I am 44. I live in Orlando, Fl with my husband of 18 years and our two daughters Giulianna, 12 and Olivia, 9, as well as my mom, 2 dogs and 2 kittens. We have a full house here. I am a tasting chef at a catering company - they basically call me the closer. Lol! I am on my feet all day at work and by the time I get home I am too exhausted from the heat of the kitchen to even want to exercise. I am hoping to find a way to incorporate that into my daily life. I bought a Bowflex bike and have installed the Peloton app on my TVs- unfortunately, I have only done 2 rides. I am hoping to get some encouragement and gentle pushes to get that done. I do have a lot of weight to lose with my SW at 317, CW at 302 and GW 160. I am looking forward to this challenge and getting to know everyone. My weigh in days are Monday.

Hi Kimberly, If you'd like a home cycling partner, I also have a Spin bike and Peloton app. We could challenge each other to one ride a week in September, which would increase your 2 rides by 200%. Let me know :smile:
  • 1theresamcvean
    Weigh Day
    Username: 1theresamcvean
    Weigh-in week: Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Friday
    Starting weight: 177.4
    Last weigh-in: 148.6
    Today's weight: 147.6
    Loss to date: 29.8
  • 1theresamcvean
    ljdanny wrote: »
    Ljdanny
    Thursday
    Week 1
    Pw 187.6
    Cw 184

Awesome, Tracey.
  • 1theresamcvean
    dbrinkmeyer
    PW 187
    CW 185.6
    Steps 21788

Tracking is helping me stay on task. I lost that weigh since Sunday. My calorie limit is 1350 and since I have been tracking it on Sunday, I'm staying under my goal and actually not minding this at all.

When I went to Unleash the Power Within in 2018, it didn't really surprise me to learn that I had a HIGH need for variety, but I didn't really attach it to a conflict with weight loss.

I can't STAND eating the exact same menu over and over. I like to take advantage of foods that are on sale that are on my approved to eat list. I like using left overs instead of wasting them just to stay on my menu.

This week I learned that I could "plan" my food ahead for the day and adapt if I go over or under so that by the end of the day I didn't overeat and didn't feel deprived or hungry.

I hope the next 7 days go as well.

Great weigh-in!
This discussion has been closed.