WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    Pp
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    Lord Carol she didnt apologize earlier than that? I feel bad for you poor thing..
    That was just plain mean....
    Im going to see if the mail has come and do the sink of dishes... and maybe clean out a cupboard or 2.. will see how much im up for.. i should be outside but im not,though I do have the windows and slider open
  • pipcd34
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hello all! Happy Saturday! It has been a busy week and I have been lacking sleep due to being up later, un-decorating and redecorating my house, each night for the different holidays. (The little ones had a ball this week, btw) Last night, I left the Christmas decorations up, had wine, watched a movie and listened to some music, talked to my daughter and before I knew it, it was midnight. I ended up sleeping in until 8:45 this morning! I woke at 5:00 (and again an hour later) but just rolled over and went back to sleep. Windows open, cool temps, birds...perfect for staying in bed!
    I have a weekend of getting rid of the tree in my back yard. Now that Colin is back from his trip to Colorado, he will work the chainsaw and I will do a lot of the branch, limb removal. Tim is planning to help; I just don't want him to over-do it. He is very hard to deal with when he is in a lot of pain.
    Debbie- I love your impromptu picnic with your daycare girl! That is the stuff they seem to remember! "C" lunch! lol
    Tracey- Hippie party! Fun! Break out the tie-dye and the fringe! Feather boa and beads, pimp hat, army jackets... Your grands look so BIG! I love how end of the school year, the kids are thrilled; then two and a half months later they are just as happy to be going back to school! lol
    Pip- Come on. I know, and you know, you are going to do this. What if you put a gel ice pack on your bike seat while you ride? I like that Kirby is cheering you on. See if you can get some free butt (muscle) massages... >:):p;)
    Allie- I think as families age, grow in number, change, family gatherings change or become non-existent. It is a sad fact of life, sometimes. BUT, I agree with the others, focus on the wonderful memories you have. I LOVE the idea of getting involved in something like the senior center. Remember not to over do or over commit your self. But I think if you gave yourself a couple of things that you feel strongly about; and become involved in them, you will find yourself much more content and feeling back to your normal self. Sending you love! <3
    Tina- I had that happen to my knee before. I had to do a few rounds of heat, ice, elevation for a few weeks. Then one day, I felt a funny pop in my knee and the swelling went down, a couple of days later I had full movement in my knee. I haven't had a problem since (knock wood). Good luck and sending you healing vibes (((hugs)))
    Katla- I feel for you and your family, while you figure out visits during Covid outbreaks. *sigh* This past week, we learned that two little ones in Miguel's childcare room AND his teacher have all tested positive for Covid. It is on the rise in TX. My daughter is very worried for the kids and especially for the new baby (due in Dec). I am pretty sure my October visit is not going to happen. She has already stated that I will have to be masked during visits regardless of whether I am vaccinated or not. They will not be having my son in law's mom come up for the birth. She is in her 70s, would have to travel by bus (bc she doesn't fly or drive) and it is a 20 hour trip. Hard for her. Then she would also need to mask during her visit with the boys. She is not happy about that. I am not either, but I am used to it due to my work.
    Machka- your stair climbing is an inspiration to me. I only have one flight of stairs in my home. They lead to/from the basement and I rarely need to go down there; but I am considering beginning a stair challenge for myself.
    Heather- Your entranceway is LOVELY! I bet it is nice to see how the light hits it during different times of the day! Your son looks happy and healthy! Is he still with the "greyhound girl" ?
    Rebecca- A long day, indeed! But I am happy you and your dh are getting things taken care of! (((hugs)))
    Flea, Cheri, Carol- Hugs to you all! Cheri, how are you doing down there in TX with the covid upswing? Do you find yourself home more? Has it affected your dh's job?

Well, it is almost noon. I need to get my son up so we can get some work done this afternoon. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly) who is thankful for a long weekend!

Funny thing is the butt doesn’t hurt when I get off the bike, no ice pack needed
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Tracey so sorry about your grandson.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Biggest Loser Calorie Knockout DVD then walked on the treadmill. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Warrior workout (yoga). Then maybe I’ll take a walk around the parking lot.

After exercise bought a paper, then had to go to Aldi for some things for Vince, then picked up some bisq at this place in Titusville, then drove to Melbourne to get more bisq, then St. Teresa’s thrift store. I do feel that I should support this church. Got another exercise DVD, Christmas ornaments, dish towels to make the toppers on, and a food processor for down here. Then went in the pool. Tonight we’re supposed to go see the show “Tommy”

pip – Kirby and I both know that you can do 1st place.

When I came out of the store after buying the newspaper, I bumped my shoulder on this thing between the doors to go outside. It still feels funny, but no where near the pain when it first happened.

Denise texted Vince that PJ is better, going back to the daycare tomorrow. But Pete isn’t feeling well and has lost his sense of taste. We were going to go up there, but this pandemic seems to have other plans. I really don’t think we should go up until at least we’ve had the booster. And we’re not eligible until October. Then it’s Christmas then down here. I did get a slide for PJ but I’ll probably put it in the downstairs bedroon.

Rebecca – that’s good news about Lee’s liver

Allie – you have great memories. Cherish them. Then make new memories with the family you choose (friends)

The other day Vince said that some people were playing cards in the clubhouse. I didn’t think you could do that. But probably not under the guise of the condo assoc

katla – looks like I’m in the same situation as you are – covid is putting a damper on seeing the grands

tracey – I’m so sorry your gs had to go thru that. Love the grands

Vince just left to go to Lowe’s to get a new thermostat

mahjongg: the gal who house we used to go to always used to send a reminder of the game. I don’t think she sent one to me last week. I’m thinking that since I’m not interested in playing in person, she’s not interested in having me. Oh well…. Her loss

Barbara – that’s wonderful for your nephew. Good thoughts being sent to him

Trying to finish up food here at the condo so we don’t have as much to take back

Carol GA - <crying for you>

Michele sad to be leaving FL soon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,718 Member
    Kelly & Katla - I hope you are both able to visit with your new Grandsons. This mess is getting bad here again too.

Heather - What type of body language did you teach your son?
    What a great picture!

Looking back at my school years the bullies were suffering from terrible home lives, it doesn’t excuse the behaviour but looking back makes me feel sorry for some of them. A lot of them have grown to be decent adults despite their upbringings. Even understanding all of that I want to go head to head with these little jerks. 😂

Carol - how terrible. I’m sorry you lived through that.

Thank you everyone for the comments on my Grandson.
    He is a very gentle little soul. Even at 1 he would try to accommodate so that adults feelings weren’t hurt. His other Grandmother wanted to be called Nana instead of Grandma as the rest of that side of the family was referred to. He would call her Nana despite what everyone else was trying to teach him to say. If there is only one treat left he offers it to his sister first, he just is so kind. He uses big adult words and is a self proclaimed nerd and proud of it. It sets him up for hurt though.

I went shopping today for the birthday party and spent way too much money. I figure this might be the only family gathering we get this year though so might as well enjoy it. I can’t wait for it!
    I need to figure out a menu, we are just going to have snacks and such but we need to feed people something. I tried looking on Pinterest to see what was popular food at hippie parties but didn’t see anything.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,021 Member
    Up to Page 8

☘️
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Tracey-I don't understand all of the bullying. I really don't remember that much of it when I was young.

Heather-glad visit is going so well.

Allie-when we find ourselves alone it can be scary. It is also exciting-it gives us a chance to redefine ourselves and do what we want-maybe for the first time in a long time. It has taken me awhile to get used to life without my husband but most of the time I really enjoy my life. The fact that I'm alone doesn't mean I am lonely.

My excitement for the day was hauling the ceiling drywall from the basement outside. I told the guy working on my ac that I was planning on putting a couple of bags out each week to not overwhelm trash guys. He offered to take it to dump for me (I'll pay fee). So I packed it all up in trash bags and carried it all upstairs myself. My apple watch tracked 17 flight of stairs but it was more than double that. Nice to have it cleared out so I can continue with project down there.

The ac is in. Tomorrow he hooks up gas for furnace and puts in tankless water heater. Will be interesting to see how the newer energy efficiency stuff works and if I notice the difference.

Going to start winding down. I am pretty tired from the activity today. One positive (besides the exercise) is that reaction to flu and pneumonia shots I got yesterday is pretty minimal. I think using my arms helped with that.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day

Zwift home spin bike- 2hrs 30min 32sec, 402elev, 129aw, 65arpm, 96ahr, 114mhr, 19.97amph, 50.1mi= 774c
    Zwift app= 1114
    Zwift home spin bike- 1hr 47min 11sec, 276elev, 127aw, 63arpm, 106ahr, 131mhr, 19.65amph, 35.1mi= 709c
    Zwift app= 788c
    Zwift home spin bike- 45min 19sec, 125elev, 139aw, 62arpm, 116ahr, 137mhr, 15.1mi= 321c
    Zwift app= 362c

100.3 total miles today

Total cal 1804
  • Snowflake1968
    :D Kim - I’m sure they could be a dessert for the adults, but this is a shared birthday with my 10 year old grandson. We are having campers set up so the adults can still party after the kids are played out.

Loneliness- the loneliest I ever felt was about 4 years of my married life. My DH was downstairs, I was upstairs and it was just miserable. I don't think we would have made it if we had stayed in that house. It was moving to a smaller house where we had to be near one another all the time that helped get US back. I feel lonely on the evenings he works but have all of you and my daughters texting to keep me company. I just don’t know how I could do it day in and day out. I am too social.

Tracey

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    Nice dinner with the ladies and now home and in bed..arthritis in my left thumb acting up something fierce.. put some blue emu oil on it and took tylenol hope that helps.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) I am very fortunate to have learned how to be comfortable alone. I went through a period in my 20's when I was quite alone, unemployed, and somewhat estranged from my parents. My choices were to go under or to learn to enjoy my own company. I learned to enjoy the company of TV, the radio, books, audio tapes of favorite music, and being busy with crafts and caring for my home. I love being with my husband and my several friends I see now, but I am perfectly able to be happy and entertained alone and for days at a time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Thanking Goodness and all who’ve prayed for and whooshed good vibes to my nephew. His scans are miraculously clear, even the “unoperable” left side mass. Halelujah! Please continue to do so for keeping his foot. Thank you, THANK you, thank YOU!

Loneliness. When have you been most lonely?
    All the many years I lived by myself I was unaware of being lonely. It was not until I lived with husband, brother-in-law, rent-a-son and three nephews that I experienced that dark, sad, hopeless feeling (‘nother long story.) Four years ago tonight, the dogs and I arrived at our new home after the move from hell. Joe would follow the next day after getting trailer tire replaced. It was 95F and hazardously smoky. There was not a fan to be had from Crescent City to Gold Beach, a distance of 54 miles. As all our furniture was with Joe in the truck I unrolled a sleeping bag onto the floor, gathered the dogs to my side and cried myself to sleep. Since the pandemic related isolation I’ve felt moments of loneliness, but thanks to Joe, my dancing/T’ai Chi/walking buddies and all you wonderful gals on this thread, it’s never lasted long. Bless you all!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

I'm glad to hear that about your nephew. :)

Loneliness? At least two times spring to mind ...
    1. During the last few years with my ex-husband. Our lives had become completely different and while I tried to get into his life (to some extent), he had absolutely no interest in mine.
    2. When I burned my foot to the bone in November 2001. I was single, on my own, with no family anywhere nearby and few friends. I was at home alone for 5 weeks. Except for the home nurse who came by to change my dressing about every other day ... she was there about 15 minutes each time. And the lady who delivered my groceries once a week ... she was there about 5 minutes each time.

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Jenn - I hope the guy at least got a fine. Thankful it was witnessed.

Barbie - I’m sure it was a terrible process to go through but I bet it has been a good thing too.

I have never lived alone, although Rodger drove truck. The few months that that was his career before our eldest was born I stayed with his or my parents or had someone stay with me. I kept having false contractions from August to February so didn’t like being alone. My Mother suffered terribly from loneliness and no one will ever convince me that didn’t speed her Alzheimer’s up. Since she has been in the manor and socializing it has slowed considerably, not stopped but definitely slowed.
  • Machka9
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1st place has been saving up his rides and made one big entry. He is now at 2069.63 … that means I have 300.54 miles now that I have to do before this coming Wednesday to catch up to him. Ugh…I could do it if I rode 100 miles for today, Sunday and Monday but do I want to?? I dunno…. Sad face sore butt.

Would that all be inside?

I've done heaps of 100 mile days outside but I don't know if I'd have the motivation to do it inside!!

Machka in Oz
    all inside

The longest I've done inside is 4 hours ... 2 movies!

The fastest century (100 miles) I've done outside was 6 hours in Manitoba (flat, flat, flat), on a beautiful day, with no wind.

I'm not sure I could have gone on for another 2 hours inside!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    JustJenn68 wrote: »
    Lots of excitement today when some ahole in boat passed within 5 metres of me swamped my kayak tossing me into the lake.

Thank God a man on jet ski saw me,called 911 and stayed with me until Search and Rescue pulled me put of the water.

I am currently buried under blankets and drinking hot tea.

I will be back on the lake tomorrow afternoon because I'm not going to let this ruin something I enjoy.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Jenn

:o

I'm glad you're OK after that!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara – I am delighted for you that your nephew’s scans are clear. Good news is wonderful. :flowerforyou:

Pip - Karen in VA is correct. YOU are the bomb! 100 miles today! WOW! :star:

Tracey – So sorry that your grandson was bullied on his first day of school. Bullying is never okay. :grumble:

KJ - Our son is encouraging us to come early for our visit, and to stay longer. We haven’t made solid plans yet. We’re working on them. We are planning to spend good family time there. :smiley:

Kim – You are busy these days, between caring for your mom and getting your work done. You amaze me by accomplishing so much. I am sorry that loneliness is sometimes difficult. :flowerforyou:

Jenni in CT – Welcome! Stop by often & get to know us. :star:

We managed to get the bathroom shower project finished today! The showerhead and hose are properly installed & the old hose is in the trash! :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon