Filling ideas for a Cornish Pastie

Anyone make their own style Cornish Pastie.

Can you share your filling ideas ?

Replies

• gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    I make these half size curried beef pasties

• 4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten
    • 2 tsps sesame seeds
    • Fruit chutney, to serve
    FILLING
    • 1 tblsp vegetable oil
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic minced
    • 500g beef mince
    • 1½ tblsps curry powder
    • 2 tblsps fruit chutney
    • 2 tblsps plain flour
    • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
    • 1 large chicken stock cube (10g)
    • 1 cup chicken stock
    • Salt and pepper, to taste

Method
    1. To make filling, heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add garlic and fry one minute. Add beef. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Add curry powder, chutney and flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
    2. Add vegetables, stock cube and stock. Bring to boil. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until thickened. Season. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
    3. Cut pastry sheets into square quarters.
    4. Working with one square at a time, place 2 level tblsps of filling in the centre. Brush edges with water. Bring two opposite corners of pastry up to meet at the top to form a triangle. Press edges together to seal. Twist edge to form a crimp across the top.
    5. Place on two large oven trays lined with baking paper. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with seeds.
    6. Cook in a hot oven (200C), swapping trays halfway, for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • _LION_
    _LION_ Posts: 57 Member
    Cheers
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    I like the retro chicken a la king recipes that I`grew up with in meat pies in the seventies. It's more a North American thing. If you prefer a dryer filling I would also google tourtiere recipes, a traditional spiced minced pork, beef and potato pie from French Canada. If you are looking for something new to try, I would google ethnic savoury pie fillings. For something vegetarian, a samosa filling would work in a Cornish pastie, I think. If you sweetness in a savoury pie (poultry+cinnamon+raisins) have a look at Moroccan bstilla recipes online.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    There's a Cornish pastie shop up the road from me that does some awesome fillings - I haven't tried it but veggie Thai green curry being one.
    I went for a cheese and onion last time I had one.
    Delicious 😋
  • _LION_
    _LION_ Posts: 57 Member
    I seen a celebrity chef use left over stew as a filling. It looked delicious 😋.