What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• In the AM I did a 20 minute HIIT workout with kettlebells and in the PM i did Stronglift 5x5 consisting of squats, barbell rows and bench press.

Age 51
    Current weight 201
    Goal Weight 160
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    In the AM I did a 20 minute HIIT workout with kettlebells and in the PM i did Stronglift 5x5 consisting of squats, barbell rows and bench press.

Age 51
    Current weight 201
    Goal Weight 160

Out of curiosity what’s your height? Same age here. Hit 189.9 this past weekend and am 6ft…. 40lbs is a definitely a challenge. Keep at it I’m sure you’ll get there..
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    Did an hour easier recovery type of work. 30 minutes on the rower (hard to keep HR under 70%, but I kept it mostly under 70% on that) and then another 30 on the LateralX (Bowflex Machine that's like a Stepper that goes lateral at the same time, so it feels like your cross country skiing or speed skating).

Still like 700 calories burned on the hour but it felt like cake walk compared to yesterday. I really look forward to my easier days now.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited September 2021
    Treadmill (brisk 35 min walk) and Day 2 of EPIC I (upper body workout)
  • mrmota70
    qiyek2yspm6g.jpeg

Got a late start so didn’t do a 10k as originally planned.. but managed to knock out a 5k…. In under 30.. 😮
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Morning ride - 16.73 miles, 13.4 mph avg, 75 minutes riding time.

Didn't ride yesterday, but did get 100 push-ups (4 x 25 sets) in for the day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    7-8 am:
    Strength
    Vacuums - 3x10-60s (30s-3m)

Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength: E5MOM
    HSPU - 4x3r (12r)
    Hang - 4x30s (2m)
    Hollow Body Hold - 4x30s (2m)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm usually a treadmill runner, the last time I ran outside must have been more than 5 years ago. On top of that, I always run with zero incline.
    In the back of my mind I always thought that I would be disillusioned if I ever ran outside, that my performance would be terrible (even worse than on the treadmill, being a slow runner 😁).

But this morning I did 4.12 kilometers in just over 31 minutes... outside, on a forest track and in hilly terrain!
    Pacing myself was an interesting experience (based on feeling instead of programming a speed on the treadmill). But I'm very happy with my performance - it was definitely not an easy run (highest heart rate I've seen in a while, on the uphill sections) but quite a fast run for me, despite the more challenging terrain.

And on top of all that, lovely views running through the forest in Sweden (I'm currently on holiday).

Actually, after I lost my weight, I began trail running (that lasted around five or six years until my one knee wouldn't cooperate). Unfortunately, the races were lovely, but I wasn't near a lot of trails to train, so I'd normally have to train on roads or sidewalks.

Running on trails was my favorite. If it's wet/rainy, you have to be extra cautious. Always a good idea to let someone know your path and where you'll be going. But there's something so calming and peaceful about it. I truly do miss that. Just don't think my old body would like it any longer. Still love hiking!

I'm glad you got off the treadmill and tried something different! That's wonderful!
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,657 Member
    edited September 2021
    I hour stacking wood... More to do later.
    mtot37f0zs0i.jpg
    ulzc0zut86xb.jpg
  • mrmota70
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm usually a treadmill runner, the last time I ran outside must have been more than 5 years ago. On top of that, I always run with zero incline.
    In the back of my mind I always thought that I would be disillusioned if I ever ran outside, that my performance would be terrible (even worse than on the treadmill, being a slow runner 😁).

But this morning I did 4.12 kilometers in just over 31 minutes... outside, on a forest track and in hilly terrain!
    Pacing myself was an interesting experience (based on feeling instead of programming a speed on the treadmill). But I'm very happy with my performance - it was definitely not an easy run (highest heart rate I've seen in a while, on the uphill sections) but quite a fast run for me, despite the more challenging terrain.

And on top of all that, lovely views running through the forest in Sweden (I'm currently on holiday).

First off... good going on your outside run... your trail in itself is a bonus...

Only recently have I've really gotten back into running outside. Being less "fluffy" I'm not as worried about impact to the old body however I still back off and do mind the aches and pains. I used to be almost 100% treadmill and its odd now that I run outside(with dips and inclines) and then do a treadmill run with no incline and I actually find it more difficult to maintain a long jog/run at 6-6.5 mph. I've felt I am running slow outside and to my surprise I am actually doing a decent clip for me personally. World class times is not what I'm looking for, but at 51 the fact that the 26 year old college hire can't keep up with my speed well that is a win enough for me.. Just did my 1st 5k in a very long time in under 30. I'll be eyeing a 10k in under 60 as my next challenge.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I tweaked my left hip yesterday. Not sure how, since it was a swimming day. Despite icing, its still fairly cranky today, so I changed my easy one hour run into a 40 minute walk/hike on a local trail.

I can't afford a nagging injury right now. Will see how it feels after a swim/bike tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Recreational pace bike ride on the hybrid, 22.6 miles at 10.6mph moving average.

Can I just express a little irritation with speedy cyclists who feel they must round blind curves at speeds so high they can't seem to stay in their own lane of the (marked-lanes) trail? (Narrowly avoided a crash today, thanks to me being slow.) Also, drivers who don't use their turn signals in lanes where they have directional options, when not only other cars but us trail-crossing cyclists and pedestrians would really appreciate some hint about their plans? 🙄

@Djproulx: I hope your hip heals itself as quickly and mysteriously as it tweaked. (I hope you have a good osteo, chiro, massage therapist or the like, if needed.)

@cmsienk, there are several useful functional fitness workouts in firewood: Cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking. Good stuff!
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited September 2021
    Treadmill (brisk 39 min walk) and Day 3 of EPIC I (abs & core)
  • ccrdragon
    Morning ride - 16.14 miles, 13.4 mph avg, 72 minutes.
    Yesterday's upper body workout - 180 push-ups (9 x 20 reps), plus 3 x 1 minute planks.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    7-8 am:
    Strength
    Vacuums - 3x10-60s (30s-3m)

Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength: E5MOM
    Pull-up - 4x6r (24r)
    Handstand Wall Hold - 4x30s (2m)
    Cossack Squat - 4x10r (40r)

7-8 pm:
    Conditioning: E3MOM
    Jumprope - 5x2m (10m) (15m)
  • ccrdragon
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Can I just express a little irritation with speedy cyclists who feel they must round blind curves at speeds so high they can't seem to stay in their own lane of the (marked-lanes) trail? (Narrowly avoided a crash today, thanks to me being slow.) Also, drivers who don't use their turn signals in lanes where they have directional options, when not only other cars but us trail-crossing cyclists and pedestrians would really appreciate some hint about their plans? 🙄

Yes, yes you may - I was almost 'treed' by a guy doing this a couple of weeks ago... glad I have good brakes on the bike.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Recreational pace bike ride on the hybrid, 22.6 miles at 10.6mph moving average.

@Ann - This is a frequent source of concern among my crowd. We are blessed with beautiful places to ride, but also a large number of people on the roads and trails. Unfortunately, I've known 3 cyclists who have been killed while riding their bikes. These folks were seasoned cyclists, one of them a cycling/triathlon coach. Tragic in all cases. Some simple courtesy from cyclists would minimize most issues, just as cutting down on distracted driving among motor vehicle operators would save lives. I remain hopeful that we'll get there.

Today's pool swim was 2800 yds, including 6x 200's, 6x100s, 4x50s at various endurance and race paces. Bike work will be a 1:15 basic endurance session on the trainer this evening.

Another long ride (5hrs) and 30 minute run tomorrow, followed on Sunday by the real test, a 4200yd open water swim. That will be my most important training session this month since it will give me confidence that I can cover the 2.4mile IM swim distance. It's key for me to overcome that apprehension, since I'm not a great swimmer.

• mrmota70
    Lunch time jog… 4x10 minute miles in 90 degree weather. Was nice due that no one was there so ran around the lake all by myself… 😃
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    Today a workout in the hotel gym.

First half an hour of strength training. Very improvised, using whatever was available and just aiming to hit a variety of muscles. Mostly machines, some dumbells and I even tried some kettlebells. It was more like circuit training, barely any rest between sets since I didn't have much time left before the gym closed.

Then 15 minutes rowing, first time using a water rower. Dear lord, indoor rowing is boring without a TV 😛 the display was broken, so no clue on watts or anything.

Very improvised but happy to get something done (aside from all the walking I'm doing on holiday, 25000 steps today).