What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    @ccdragon, how can boiled okra be so bad and boiled in gumbo okra be so good?
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    I like Okra in Ethiopian dishes
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    @ccdragon, how can boiled okra be so bad and boiled in gumbo okra be so good?

There's something about the gumbo mixture that prevents the okra from getting slimy... I don't know what it is, but I have never had a gumbo that had slimy okra in it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I Eat full fat not low fat if I’m trying to lose weight.. most low fats are high in sugars. Many people are in the old mind set that you can’t eat fat if you’re trying to lose weight 🤦🏻‍♀️

That "low fat things are high in sugars" thing is way over generalized, IMO.

That's very true...most of the "low fat" products that I use are dairy-based. There's no extra sugar added, they just take out some fat (and therefore calories).
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited September 2021
    The only two vegetables I won’t eat;

Parsnips & Kale are abominations of nature!
    I like parsnip as an ingredient in soups, stews and rice, it's like carrot on steroids...

But yeah, it's a very strong flavour. Would get tiresome as a main ingredient.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    When I lived in NY, I had never eaten okra or even seen fresh okra in the supermarket. One day I saw a bag of frozen sliced okra and decided to give it a try. Not knowing what to do with it, I just put some in a bowl and microwaved it. :disappointed: What came out was a bowl of rubber green slices in a puddle of snot. I decided to just trash it, and I couldn't get all of it out of the bowl, it was so sticky lol. I just threw out the bowl :lol: .

Now that I live in Virginia there's more exposure to the stuff. I'm told if you cook it right it's not slimy, I will take their word for it!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I Eat full fat not low fat if I’m trying to lose weight.. most low fats are high in sugars. Many people are in the old mind set that you can’t eat fat if you’re trying to lose weight 🤦🏻‍♀️

That "low fat things are high in sugars" thing is way over generalized, IMO.

That's very true...most of the "low fat" products that I use are dairy-based. There's no extra sugar added, they just take out some fat (and therefore calories).

Yeah, same here. I had the same reaction as you and Ann.

Also, obviously lower fat meat isn't full of added sugars, at least not something like a leaner cut of burger or steak or pork or chicken breast, etc. IME, that claim often seems to apply mostly to sweets or maybe some snack foods (although none are immediately coming to mind), but even there it's often exaggerated as something like low cal sweets these days often are lower fat with fake sugar.

I don't avoid fat at all, but prefer some lower fat options (like 1% cottage cheese or lower fat greek yogurt) to the full fat options.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,812 Member
    Holiday shaped foods and products taste better
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Pumpkin spice is over rated for the fall... we need more apple based stuff.

Ok, I’m finally going to risk asking this question! I see mention all the time of pumpkin spice on these forums and whilst I know vaguely what it must be, I’m curious as to the precise specifics?

I imagine it as a spice blend, much as Taco Spice etc. Possibly a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice? Having never actually eaten pumpkin I’m guessing here, but it’s got to be a warming spice flavour - maybe there’s a bit of vanilla in there too?

Can someone tell me exactly what it is, please?
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Pumpkin spice are spices trying to mimic the taste of pumpkin pie. It's seasonal for Thanksgiving and other holidays. Cinnoman, nutmeg, ginger
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Pumpkin spice is over rated for the fall... we need more apple based stuff.

Ok, I’m finally going to risk asking this question! I see mention all the time of pumpkin spice on these forums and whilst I know vaguely what it must be, I’m curious as to the precise specifics?

I imagine it as a spice blend, much as Taco Spice etc. Possibly a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice? Having never actually eaten pumpkin I’m guessing here, but it’s got to be a warming spice flavour - maybe there’s a bit of vanilla in there too?

Can someone tell me exactly what it is, please?

You're correct. "Pumpkin spice" flavor is exactly that. And--here's the kicker--you use basically the same spices for "apple-based stuff."
  • SuzySunshine99
    I like baked goods that have actual pumpkin in them, not just the spice mix.
    I make pumpkin cookies with pumpkin purée and they are awesome.
    Also a big fan of pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin donuts...all of which typically contain actual pumpkin, not just the spice blend.

Pumpkin is a very mild flavor, which is why the spices are added....but the flavor is there. I can definitely tell if there's actual pumpkin in something or if it's just "pumpkin spice".
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Also a big fan of pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin donuts...all of which typically contain actual pumpkin, not just the spice blend.

Pumpkin is a very mild flavor, which is why the spices are added....but the flavor is there. I can definitely tell if there's actual pumpkin in something or if it's just "pumpkin spice".

Would you mind sharing your pumpkin cookie recipe, please?
  • SuzySunshine99
    edited September 2021
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

Sure, here you go. Last year, there was a canned pumpkin shortage and I used sweet potatoes instead...they turned out well, but pumpkin is better:

Pumpkin Cookies

Yield: About 3 dozen

2 ½ cups flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice)
    1 cup brown sugar
    ½ cup white sugar
    ¾ cup butter
    1 egg
    1 cup pumpkin
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup raisins
    ½ cup walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Combine dry ingredients except sugars.

3. In a separate bowl, beat sugars and butter to a grainy paste.

4. Add egg, pumpkin, and vanilla.

5. Beat until light and fluffy.

6. Add flour mixture, raisins, and walnuts.

7. Blend until combined.

8. Drop rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.

9. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until slightly brown.

10. Transfer to a cool surface.

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

Sure, here you go. Last year, there was a canned pumpkin shortage and I used sweet potatoes instead...they turned out well, but pumpkin is better:

Pumpkin Cookies

Yield: About 3 dozen

2 ½ cups flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice)
    1 cup brown sugar
    ½ cup white sugar
    ¾ cup butter
    1 egg
    1 cup pumpkin
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup raisins
    ½ cup walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Combine dry ingredients except sugars.

3. In a separate bowl, beat sugars and butter to a grainy paste.

4. Add egg, pumpkin, and vanilla.

5. Beat until light and fluffy.

6. Add flour mixture, raisins, and walnuts.

7. Blend until combined.

8. Drop rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.

9. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until slightly brown.

10. Transfer to a cool surface.

Thanks!!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    @BarbaraHelen2013
    rvwggothn6jc.png
    The two in the middle don’t have allspice. I think McCormic leaves it out. Some add it.

Do you have butternut squash? If you cooked it and puréed it, added just a touch of sugar= 1 or 2 tsp per whole squash, you would have something very close to our pumpkin purée.
    Also, you can use sweet potato in many pumpkin recipes. Adjust the spices down just a little bit. It’s not the same, but similar.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Do you have butternut squash? If you cooked it and puréed it, added just a touch of sugar= 1 or 2 tsp per whole squash, you would have something very close to our pumpkin purée.
    Also, you can use sweet potato in many pumpkin recipes. Adjust the spices down just a little bit. It’s not the same, but similar.

It's funny you say this.... most of the canned pumpkin pie filling that you can get at the store (at least last year), was butternut squash because there wss a pumpkin shortage.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    @BarbaraHelen2013
    rvwggothn6jc.png
    The two in the middle don’t have allspice. I think McCormic leaves it out. Some add it.

Canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree is usually just the squash, no sugar or spices added. You add them later when making a pie or whatever.