What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2021
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Do you have butternut squash? If you cooked it and puréed it, added just a touch of sugar= 1 or 2 tsp per whole squash, you would have something very close to our pumpkin purée.
    Also, you can use sweet potato in many pumpkin recipes. Adjust the spices down just a little bit. It’s not the same, but similar.

It's funny you say this.... most of the canned pumpkin pie filling that you can get at the store (at least last year), was butternut squash because there wss a pumpkin shortage.

And it's typically not actually pumpkin anyway: https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/what-is-in-canned-pumpkin-article
  • lemurcat2
    Back when I was on a cook everything from scratch as much as possible (and just wanted to try pumpkin pie from whole pumpkin), I did that, and it was fun but something of a pain as you had to drain the pumpkin so it wouldn't be too watery. And it didn't actually taste different.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    @BarbaraHelen2013
    rvwggothn6jc.png
    The two in the middle don’t have allspice. I think McCormic leaves it out. Some add it.

Do you have butternut squash? If you cooked it and puréed it, added just a touch of sugar= 1 or 2 tsp per whole squash, you would have something very close to our pumpkin purée.
    Also, you can use sweet potato in many pumpkin recipes. Adjust the spices down just a little bit. It’s not the same, but similar.

Canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree is usually just the squash, no sugar or spices added. You add them later when making a pie or whatever.

I didn’t say add sugar to pumpkin, I said add a very small amount of sugar to butternut squash if you want it to taste more like pumpkin. Pumpkin is technically in the squash family. Some squash varieties are naturally sweeter tasting than others.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Peanut butter is disgusting and smells like dog vomit. Although peanuts are okay, they are far too caloric per volume to be considered a "healthy snack". In general, the inclusion of peanuts or peanut butter to recipes always makes it an inferior version to the original food.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Pumpkin spice is over rated for the fall... we need more apple based stuff.

And ginger, cinnamon and Sunflower imo!! Also fig!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

do you mean these are 'over rated' or we need more of these?
    Personally, I'm for the 'we need MORE!'😋...along with the pumpkin spice though🤣
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Adding another in the ring: icing is gross. The texture is weird, and it usually tastes like sugary Styrofoam. Either glaze it, butter it, or leave it plain.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Adding another in the ring: icing is gross. The texture is weird, and it usually tastes like sugary Styrofoam. Either glaze it, butter it, or leave it plain.

I would SO agree with you regarding that icing you describe. Practically every grocery store cake is covered with the stuff! However, frosting can be SO yum if it's made with 'real' ingredients! Most grocery cake frostings have corn syrup, artificial flavor, oils and then 10 or more other questionable things....
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

do you mean these are 'over rated' or we need more of these?
    Personally, I'm for the 'we need MORE!'😋...along with the pumpkin spice though🤣

Yes we need MORE OF THESE!!
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    @BarbaraHelen2013
    rvwggothn6jc.png
    The two in the middle don’t have allspice. I think McCormic leaves it out. Some add it.

Canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree is usually just the squash, no sugar or spices added. You add them later when making a pie or whatever.

I didn’t say add sugar to pumpkin, I said add a very small amount of sugar to butternut squash if you want it to taste more like pumpkin. Pumpkin is technically in the squash family. Some squash varieties are naturally sweeter tasting than others.

Yes, I know pumpkin is squash (canned pumpkin is usually not pumpkin, even). It doesn't taste sweeter than butternut squash to me. I was misreading you to be saying that pumpkin puree is sweetened in the can.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    edited September 2021
    There's a fair amount of exaggeration when it comes to 'pumpkin not being real pumpkin'

https://snopes.com/fact-check/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2021
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    There's a fair amount of exaggeration when it comes to 'pumpkin not being real pumpkin'

https://snopes.com/fact-check/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/

Snopes tends to often overstate things IMO.

Their argument/alleged debunking isn't actually inconsistent with the piece I cited above (which is not a viral internet rumor): https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/what-is-in-canned-pumpkin-article

"When we think of a pumpkin, we usually imagine either the rotund, bright orange specimen that we buy up at Halloween to carve into a jack-o-lantern—which, while edible, isn't good for cooking—or its smaller, tastier cousin, the sugar pumpkin. But instead of those pumpkin varieties, Libby's grows a proprietary strain of tan-skinned Dickinson squash. And although Libby's does refer to its fruit as "pumpkin," in appearance, taste, and texture (not to mention species) it more closely resembles squash. In fact, its closest high-profile relative is butternut squash.

Because the FDA finds that drawing a hard-line designation between pumpkins and "golden-fleshed" winter squash is murky, it's perfectly legal for Libby's and other canned pumpkin brands to label their products as such. In addition, companies are allowed to combine different plant varieties into one purée to achieve a desired flavor and consistency—especially beneficial if one type doesn't grow as well from one year to the next. And because many of these companies do offer a product that is denser, sweeter, and more flavorful than the more commonly available pumpkin would be, can we really begrudge them the semantics?"
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Betting this is an unpopular opinion: People who feel betrayed that canned pumpkin isn't jack-o-lantern type pumpkin, and may even be something called a squash are waaaaay over connecting the names of things with the things themselves.

(1) I don't think anyone has suggested that people should feel betrayed (that's certainly not the point the piece I linked originally was making!). IMO, it's a fun fact.

(2) I would assume that anyone who is familiar with pumpkin wouldn't expect it to be a jack-o-lantern style pumpkin, but a sugar pumpkin (which is what I used when experimenting with cooking pumpkin pie from scratch).

Anyway, like I said, something of a pain, no particular taste advantage, I would also experiment with making one using butternut squash for fun, and imagine that would also taste similar/good.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

The fact that in know people who love that disgusting "butter" cream frosting that comes on most average cakes is bonkers to me. It tastes exactly like sugar mixed into fluffed crisco, which is basically what it is. Soooo gross. The store bought containers of frosting are second grossest. I scrape them all off.

Cake should be topped with whipped cream, true icing, or homemade frosting made with actual butter.

True!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I have a "cake lady"...a local baker who makes custom cakes. I prefer the taste of whipped cream, but always order buttercream frosting from her so that I don't have to immediately refrigerate the cake. She makes it fresh, though, with real butter, so it's very good. Not like grocery store cake.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I've never eaten pumpkin
    I might attempt a pumpkin pie nearer Halloween 🎃
    My unpopular opinion on food today is 'coffee' from coffee chains like Starbucks etc ..
    Firstly it's usually far too big with too much milk and sugar and named something ridiculous like
    'Frappacappachino'
    And secondly why is it about £5 😳
    Extortion!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Most food is filled with GMO's, Antibiotics, Sugar, MSG and other stuff I cant have so I only shop at organic farmers markets. I get told off every day about how thats a bunch of crap but I trust the books I read and the changes I have seen to my body more than their opinion on the matter :)