What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I've never eaten pumpkin
    I might attempt a pumpkin pie nearer Halloween 🎃
    My unpopular opinion on food today is 'coffee' from coffee chains like Starbucks etc ..
    Firstly it's usually far too big with too much milk and sugar and named something ridiculous like
    'Frappacappachino'
    And secondly why is it about £5 😳
    Extortion!

It all depends on what you order. I'm not a fan of Starbucks, but like any other coffee place you can order a large (venti, sigh) coffee black and it comes without any milk and sugar and is about $3.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I've never eaten pumpkin
    My unpopular opinion on food today is 'coffee' from coffee chains like Starbucks etc ..
    Firstly it's usually far too big with too much milk and sugar and named something ridiculous like
    'Frappacappachino'
    Extortion!

It's that expensive because you are paying for the brand and that's what the market will bear.

In my humble and worthless opinion, the reason that they put all the sugar and flavorings in the coffee is to hide the fact that they roasted the beans (at least in the dark coffees) to death and they are trying to hide the burnt aftertaste.

In case you haven't figured it out, I do not like Starbucks - I can get a better tasting cup of coffee at the gas station across the street and not have to mortgage my house to walk out with the cup.

I agree!
    I have only had Starbucks a couple of times and didn't enjoy it at all.
    I take my coffee black without sugar so all I can taste is the terrible flavour of their beans 🤢
    Even Mc Donalds has better coffee at a bargain price of 99p 😁
  • Walkywalkerson
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I've never eaten pumpkin
    'Frappacappachino'
    Extortion!

It all depends on what you order. I'm not a fan of Starbucks, but like any other coffee place you can order a large (venti, sigh) coffee black and it comes without any milk and sugar and is about $3.

What is a 'venti' does that mean black coffee?
    🤣
    In the UK a large black coffee from a chain is around £3.50 ( $4.83 )
    For coffee and water!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I've never eaten pumpkin
    'Frappacappachino'
    Extortion!

What is a 'venti' does that mean black coffee?
    🤣
    In the UK a large black coffee from a chain is around £3.50 ( $4.83 )
    For coffee and water!

It’s just the size. Starbucks uses some Italian words for their sizes. Venti means twenty in Italian, so that’s their 20 oz size cup.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    edited September 2021
    I'll take a Kureig over Starbucks
  • SuzySunshine99
    Most food is filled with GMO's, Antibiotics, Sugar, MSG and other stuff I cant have so I only shop at organic farmers markets. I get told off every day about how thats a bunch of crap but I trust the books I read and the changes I have seen to my body more than their opinion on the matter :)

DOGS are genetically modified organisms please let go of the idea that GMO = bad

Monsanto, the company is bad, yes, boycott them as much as you're able. But the concept of genetically modifying organisms to better serve our needs is literally ten thousand years old.

But we don't eat dogs... ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Starting to think this is an unpopular opinion...

Prices for everything are set based on demand and what people are willing to pay.

As long as it's not an essential resource, I have no problem with whatever anyone wants to charge for their product.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. But, also, don't look down your nose at people who choose to.

And, no, you're not just paying "for coffee and water". You are paying for the employees who served it to you, the rent on the facility, and other overhead costs. No one sells ANY product at cost. That's not how business works.

Totally agree.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I've never eaten pumpkin
    'Frappacappachino'
    Extortion!

There are 3 Starbucks near me. Two are awful. At one I ordered decaf and got instant! At the other I got a muffin that would break concrete.
    The third one is how Starbucks should be. Their $10 breakfast sandwiches are worth every penny!
    Sometimes it depends on the cook. Or the manager. Or ?

We have a local coffeehouse that makes THE BEST COFFEE! I don’t even know how much it costs, I’ll pay it. Coffee is coffee. But their latte is HEAVEN!
  • Walkywalkerson
    Starting to think this is an unpopular opinion...

Prices for everything are set based on demand and what people are willing to pay.

As long as it's not an essential resource, I have no problem with whatever anyone wants to charge for their product.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. But, also, don't look down your nose at people who choose to.

And, no, you're not just paying "for coffee and water". You are paying for the employees who served it to you, the rent on the facility, and other overhead costs. No one sells ANY product at cost. That's not how business works.

Isn't this a thread where everyone is 'looking down their noses'
    Are you a Starbucks rep?
    😁
  • SuzySunshine99
    Most food is filled with GMO's, Antibiotics, Sugar, MSG and other stuff I cant have so I only shop at organic farmers markets. I get told off every day about how thats a bunch of crap but I trust the books I read and the changes I have seen to my body more than their opinion on the matter :)

DOGS are genetically modified organisms please let go of the idea that GMO = bad

Monsanto, the company is bad, yes, boycott them as much as you're able. But the concept of genetically modifying organisms to better serve our needs is literally ten thousand years old.

But we don't eat dogs... ;)

I mean, there are places in the world where people do raise dogs for meat. Not looking to start Discourse about that, just pointing it out.

GMOs just aren't evil scientists cackling madly while they inject innocent strawberries with Mysterious Green Goo, that's simply not how it works and genetically modified foods are not inherently bad - in fact, most of the time the goal is to make them better in some way. More resistance to pests and disease = higher crop yields = greater availability of food; or in the case of something like Golden Rice, fortifying a staple crop (rice) with an essential micronutrient (vitamin A) has a real positive health impact (fewer kids in impoverished areas going blind due to vitamin deficiencies).

The problem is capitalism - Monsanto making it illegal for farmers who grow "their" GMO wheat to collect their own seeds from their own plants on their own land and propagate plants that way, you know, like how farming has worked since we invented it??, and instead forcing farmers to buy seeds from them; grocery stores and restaurants destroying unsold food rather than give it away or allow people to access it without paying for it; government subsidies for certain crops leading to monoculture which is bad for the environment, etc.

Oh, I agree, I was just playing about the dogs...

Humans have been genetically modifying their food for hundreds of years (possibly longer?) through cross-breeding and selective breeding. The vast majority of the fruits and vegetables we eat have been significantly modified, and some are entirely man-made hybrid creations (like grapefruit, for example).

Today's methods just speed up the process and make it more precise.
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Carrots are awful. They taste so bad to me. It blew my mind when I read in a seed catalog about the sweet taste of carrots as they have never tasted sweet to me. I thought it was something you just forced yourself to eat to conform to society's idea of healthy food.

I don't think the visual appeal of food trumps the taste of it. I'd rather eat visually unappealing food that tastes good instead of visually appealing food that tastes terrible/bland.

Food is primarily fuel for me especially these days. If there were a food substitute that provided everything a body needs to be healthy and I do mean everything (antioxidants, vitamins, calories, the stuff yet to be discovered that contributes to our health), I'd mainly consume that for my meals.

I don't enjoy cooking. I also have IBS so food isn't fun for me a lot of the time.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,517 Member
    I like organic carrots. But carrots from the grocery store (especially baby carrots) have a musty smell I can't get past.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    In the US, most common brands of commercial jam don't really have enough fruit in them to clearly distinguish them from jelly. It's kind of pathetic. Yes, I know there's supposed to be a distinction between jam and preserves.

Having made jelly, jam and preserves myself, the common grocery store preserves are more like what a jam should be like.

There are brands that are exceptions. I'm talking most mainstream grocery-store-type brands in the low/mid price zone.

Interpretive cultural note for those not in the US, who use different terminology: Here, "jelly" is a bread-spread type of thing, without fruit pieces in it, commonly made from fruit juices and sweetening, possible a thickener (such as pectin). "Jam" generally is made from the whole edible part of the fruit, other ingredients similar. "Preserves" is more like chunks of fruit that use sweeteners to preserve them, so it's supposed to be much chunkier than jam, maybe too chunky to spread on bread, but you can spoon it on if you like eating it on bread. Preserves may or may not require a thickener.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,440 Member
    Butter, mayo, salad dressing, fat on meat ick might as well eat a blob of crisco! Don't get me wrong, haha, I get plenty of more hidden fat, potato chips, donuts, and on and on....
  • Walkywalkerson
    Takeaway Chinese food in the UK is gross 🤢
    It tastes good for 10 minutes- but it's impossible to not over eat it because of the high sugar and MSG content.
    It leaves me hungry after a couple of hours with a headache and a sleepless night.
    Awful!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    I don’t like Chinese food but I’ve never been to China.

Never been to China either. But while I love American Chinese food, British Chinese food is absolutely disgusting.

This could be unpopular .. but I’ve spent time all over China .. and the food tasted exactly like what I get in NYC. 🤷🏼‍♀️ (Didn’t go to touristy joints either … )

I was expecting more of a difference based on many saying how different the Chinese food was in China. (Or we could have some great places here in Chinatown.)