60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Good morning all. Finally seeing the scale going the right direction. I've lost 15 lbs of the 30 my pulmonologist wanted so feeling better. I don't see him until January so hope to meet the goal. My intermediate goal is 10 lbs in 10 weeks which should be doable if I can stay focused. Hope you are all progressing. Thanks to all who post, it makes my day with positivity and camaraderie. 😃😃

Congrats on your progress. Your goal appears very achievable. Stay strong and keep after it! 👍😎👍
  • kathy8705
    kathy8705 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi to the group. I am 62 years young and need inspiration. I have often said that if food were alcohol I would be a raging alcoholic. Am former Spark member. I am active but I am a horrible snacker at night. Not only not good for putting weight on but is a horrible disruption to my sleep. I don't sleep well at night because everything I snacked on after 8:00 is making its move through my digestion system. Will be checking in to make new friends.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Welcome Kathy. This group of friends is good at motivation. Late night snacking is definitely hard for many. I'm fortunate the bedroom. Is upstairs and I head up to read right after dinner. Since my husband is a night owl downstairs I am too lazy and embarrassed to go down and snack. Sometimes just recording snacks can help because you hate to blow a good day. Hugs to you.
  • Gilles093
    Gilles093 Posts: 1 Member
    j ai 59 ans si ca peux te motiver, sport+bonne alimentation ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Gilles093 wrote: »
    j ai 59 ans si ca peux te motiver, sport+bonne alimentation ;)

Il s'agit d'un MFP en anglais. Ce que vous dites n'est motivant que si les autres le comprennent. J'ai 65 ans. Mon français est limité. Veuillez taper en anglais si vous voulez que les autres ici vous comprennent.

It's fine if your English is not good, truly.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    jsmh2 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I'm 63 and have a long way to go. I managed to get rid of 75 pounds on my own and then just kind of lost my mojo so here I am working on getting that back. So far, so good, as I sip on my cucumber infused water. Since I live on my own, I don't buy anything that I shouldn't, sweets, cookies, cakes, ice cream. I do have a frozen pizza, but it has been there over a month and I'm waiting for a special occasion now. Thank goodness for the farmers market because I am loving all the fresh vege's. Plus keeping track really helps. It makes me think twice before I put it in my mouth because if I don't want to claim that I ate it then I don't. So, in a nut shell, that's me. I'm glad to meet you all!

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on the 75 pounds down. I’m somewhere around 60 pounds down myself.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Ok so didnt really want to workout today but strapped my knees up a d pushed myself so got a 5 mile walk in with the dogs and just completed a dumbbell workout and feeling good.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Glad to hear from you Steve and that you had some good time with your sons. Know your struggle is hard and that you still can focus on your health is an inspiration to all of us.
  • karlschaeffer
    edited September 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I got cleared on Wednesday to return to full normal activity, after my eye surgery (pars plana vitrectomy/membrane peel) around a month ago. Finally, I can carry my own boats again, thankfully - yay! It's super-random so not all that effective, but I did a little 2-round circuit on the outdoor exercise machines at the park, after rowing & my walk on Friday, to . . . ?celebrate?. Heh.

lo60fk349snt.jpg

Today, went to a food-truck (etc.) festival in a small town North of here with a friend, after I was done rowing in the AM. While there, wandered around a good bit, ate some delicious chickpea curry, plus a coconut-milk vanilla popsicle (with chocolate chunks and hulled sunflower seeds in it); and bought some chocolates from my favorite chocolate-maker whose store is there. Perfect day for something like this, sunny and 70s F, breezy.

Great to hear you’re on the mend. Chocolate is very medicinal too! Happy Sunday!

• karlschaeffer
    Hi, y'all. Been MIA for a few days.

Still riding the roller coaster at my house. Some good days - then some bad days. They changed Kathy's chemo regimen and she seems to tolerate these drugs better - most days. Constant joint/back pain has never gone away. They have decided that she can't take muscle relaxers - they said give her more oxycodone. That cannot be good long term. See the oncologist again on Wednesday. The fun never ends.☹

Did get away to Seattle for a couple of days. Went to two baseball games with my sons. That was an enjoyable break from this madness.

Fall weather is here and I'm loving it. Windows are open and lots of fresh air in the house. Great weather for walking and hiking with the dog.

Holding the line weight-wise. The usual upward blip from the excess eating and drinking on the Seattle trip, but the scale numbers are dropping again.

Keep up the good work, all. You are an inspiration on my dark days. 😍

Hang in there Steve. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Hi. I've read this thread a few times but never posted before. I didn't know how to add as a favorite then. So glad I found it again by happenstance and its now saved!
    Some know of me from some other threads, as I see familiar usernames.

I'm 64, 5'4", full time working RN. I started a new job 9/14/20 and weighed 255 lbs. Unfortunately second time at that weight. I lost before down to 122 lbs and kept it off for about 5 years and then got lazy. I'm actively trying to get back to that 122 again.

Since I didn't have a micro manager anymore and not working as much overtime as my last job, I lost almost 15 lbs by 5/3/21 without trying. I had emergency gallbladder surgery 5/3. (First and last gallbladder attack!) While recouping at home and reading up on post cholecystectomy surgery (that people can gain weight afterwards. OH NO! NOT WHAT I NEED!) I started to read up on Keto dieting and figured a good time to start, while I'm off work for 4 weeks. I have been VERY successful!

I do Keto, calorie restriction and only eat 2 meals (brunch and dinner)on my 3 days off/week. A protein shake for breakfast, chef salad for lunch and then dinner on work days. My off days, I have the last couple weeks swapped out my neighborhood walks(about 70 min, 3 miles) for 99 minutes on my Elliptical. Burns a lot more calories!

I'm on a few challenges. One of which was to be UNDER 200 lbs by 9/1, (didn't make that till 9/7/21-199.4 lbs), 195 lbs by 10/1 and 190 lbs by 11/1.

9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs started logging MFP
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212 lbs
    9/1/21-200 lbs
    9/19/21-194 lbs!!!!!!!

Again glad to have found you AGAIN!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    swimmom_1 wrote: »

I'm on a few challenges. One of which was to be UNDER 200 lbs by 9/1, (didn't make that till 9/7/21-199.4 lbs), 195 lbs by 10/1 and 190 lbs by 11/1.

9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs started logging MFP
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212 lbs
    9/1/21-200 lbs
    9/19/21-194 lbs!!!!!!!

Again glad to have found you AGAIN!

Awesome progress, @swimmom_1. 👏👏👏

Keep checking in here. This group is great for support and encouragement.

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @alteredsteve175
    Thank you Steve. Prayers for your wife and family.
  • jogajean
    jogajean Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there! This is the first time I'm posting. Age 68 female, 175 pounds, 5'5". Have been on MFP for about a month but only have lost 5-6 pounds. Admittedly, it's early in the weight loss journey but I'm wondering how long it's going to take on a 1200-1500 calorie day diet, moderately active. Can anyone weigh in? (pun intended!) Thank you!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    jogajean wrote: »
    Hi there! This is the first time I'm posting. Age 68 female, 175 pounds, 5'5". Have been on MFP for about a month but only have lost 5-6 pounds. Admittedly, it's early in the weight loss journey but I'm wondering how long it's going to take on a 1200-1500 calorie day diet, moderately active. Can anyone weigh in? (pun intended!) Thank you!

6gsdvx2lw083.png
    ub2l9lgjsp0u.png

How much do you really want to lose?
    How fast do you want to lose it?
    How important is it to lose it fast vs lose it easy?