How long did it take you to lose a stone /14lbs?

Replies

• tpnmit
    tpnmit Posts: 1 Member
    Took me about 46 days. That's because I did it properly whereas before I could drop a stone in 3 weeks but then just give up and put it back on. As well as deficit of around 200/day, just walking for 3 miles daily has been amazing
  • WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2021
    Keep in mind, losing a stone depends on where you started. At 372 pounds, I dropped 14 pounds in almost a week. You'd be surprised at how much water your body holds onto, plus going into a much larger calorie deficit at morbid obesity is much more dramatic than someone at say, in the overweight category. Now, it takes me almost 2 months to lose 14 pounds, and that's with regular intense exercise and a 500 calorie a day deficit.

The body just doesn't want to give up those last extra pounds lol Plus, you could be gaining muscle in that time as well.
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    Keep in mind, losing a stone depends on where you started. At 372 pounds, I dropped 14 pounds in almost a week. You'd be surprised at how much water your body holds onto, plus going into a much larger calorie deficit at morbid obesity is much more dramatic than someone at say, in the overweight category. Now, it takes me almost 2 months to lose 14 pounds, and that's with regular intense exercise and a 500 calorie a day deficit.

The body just doesn't want to give up those last extra pounds lol Plus, you could be gaining muscle in that time as well.

I read the thread about your progress (amazing job by the way) and you discuss being on your journey for 15 months. If you are not losing weight as quickly as you might reasonably expect after having maintained a long term deficit you might want to consider taking a break from the deficit and eating at maintenance for a month or so to help reboot your metabolism. After long term deficits the body adapts and slows your metabolism so you don't run out of your energy reserves (fat), it's properly termed "adaptive thermogenesis" but a lot of people call it "starvation mode". After maintaining a large deficit for a year and losing 80lbs I was maintaining 170lbs at 1400 - 1500 calories a day because my metabolism had significantly slowed down. After slowly adding calories back into my diet I now maintain 170lbs at ~2200 calories a day. I gained about 4lbs at first but those came off very quickly when my body got used to the extra calories.

I apologize if this is information you already had, but I didn't see anything about it in your thread so I though it might be useful to you. If you want to read more about it and see some helpful graphs to illustrate it look up "adaptive thermogenesis" and "re-feed strategies".

One last thing to keep in mind; losing 14lbs over two months is roughly 1.5lbs per week which many consider to be in the ideal range. I don't want you to think that I'm saying you're not losing fast enough, I just don't have the specifics on your calorie intake and if you are accounting for the calories burned during exercise.
  • WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member

I read the thread about your progress (amazing job by the way) and you discuss being on your journey for 15 months. If you are not losing weight as quickly as you might reasonably expect after having maintained a long term deficit you might want to consider taking a break from the deficit and eating at maintenance for a month or so to help reboot your metabolism. After long term deficits the body adapts and slows your metabolism so you don't run out of your energy reserves (fat), it's properly termed "adaptive thermogenesis" but a lot of people call it "starvation mode". After maintaining a large deficit for a year and losing 80lbs I was maintaining 170lbs at 1400 - 1500 calories a day because my metabolism had significantly slowed down. After slowly adding calories back into my diet I now maintain 170lbs at ~2200 calories a day. I gained about 4lbs at first but those came off very quickly when my body got used to the extra calories.

I apologize if this is information you already had, but I didn't see anything about it in your thread so I though it might be useful to you. If you want to read more about it and see some helpful graphs to illustrate it look up "adaptive thermogenesis" and "re-feed strategies".

One last thing to keep in mind; losing 14lbs over two months is roughly 1.5lbs per week which many consider to be in the ideal range. I don't want you to think that I'm saying you're not losing fast enough, I just don't have the specifics on your calorie intake and if you are accounting for the calories burned during exercise.

Oh yeah, I've been through this with my personal trainer. I look at it this way: as long as I have a lot of energy, I'm not sluggish or feeling hungry all the time, and I'm still losing weight (even if it's not 2 pounds a week anymore), I'm good. There have been times I've hit a plateau and the body does adapt and I had to change things up. I don't eat a strict set amount of calories a day. I like to zigzag, sometimes eating more, sometimes eating less. As long as I'm still in a weekly deficit, it's fine. The zigzag method helps prevent you from hitting adaptive thermogenesis, or so I've been told. It's seemed to work for me so far.
  • BendableButMendable

Oh yeah, I've been through this with my personal trainer. I look at it this way: as long as I have a lot of energy, I'm not sluggish or feeling hungry all the time, and I'm still losing weight (even if it's not 2 pounds a week anymore), I'm good. There have been times I've hit a plateau and the body does adapt and I had to change things up. I don't eat a strict set amount of calories a day. I like to zigzag, sometimes eating more, sometimes eating less. As long as I'm still in a weekly deficit, it's fine. The zigzag method helps prevent you from hitting adaptive thermogenesis, or so I've been told. It's seemed to work for me so far.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things then, and you've obviously had great results with it. The zigzag method is definitely one of the more common recommendations for re-feed strategies that I saw when looking into it. I can't speak to any of the methods personally since my plateau came after I was already below my goal weight, I'm working on re-composition now. Great job again and sorry for chewing your ear off with information you already had.
  • BendableButMendable
    tpnmit wrote: »
    Took me about 46 days. That's because I did it properly whereas before I could drop a stone in 3 weeks but then just give up and put it back on. As well as deficit of around 200/day, just walking for 3 miles daily has been amazing
    I just hit the 100 day mark on here and I'm almost 15 pounds down, but not quite. I eat around 1500 calories a day and exercise daily, but my exercise would be considered very light to most people. There is a YouTube instructor that I really like, she does 20-25 min low impact workouts. I have found that it's something I can do just about every day, gets me sweaty, and I'm getting results. My balance has gotten so much better! If interested, she's Pahla B. I have about 100 more lbs to lose, but I set my diary to a pound a week and that has been pretty consistent. Feeling good and like it's something I can do for the rest of my life, which is the most important thing!

Great job to both of you!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    about 3 months - a combination of eating at a moderate deficit and regular exercise.

previously i have lost 14 pounds in as little as a month, but ended up feeling weak and bad all the time, and ended up gaining it back because i just couldn't sustain that much of a deficit healthily along with light exercise.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2021
    Took me 4 months to lose 14 lbs, because I was still struggling with my food using it for comfort not just nutrition and staying focused but as of this moment I'm down 50 lbs, I still have some of those same struggles but I've stayed the course. And it didn't help that I didn't get much exercise, except for very low impact slow walks.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited August 2021
    It took me about a month for me for the first 14 lbs, I went for an aggressive cut initially. (I went from 185 pounds to 142 pounds overall, a BMI of 28 to a BMI of 21. My Type II diabetes went into remission.)

I reached my goal weight over 2 years ago, and have been at the same weight since then (to within a few pounds).
  • jcharris9263
    jcharris9263 Posts: 10 Member
    When I started losing weight a year ago it took me a week to lose 13 pounds, then I lost another ten the second week, and currently at 80 pounds down. For the first 6 weeks, I focused solely on food and stopped training.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 131 Member
    Took me about six weeks, through a combination of smart eating and increased physical activity.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Started my journey back in July 2020. It took me 17 days to lose the first14 lbs. I have lost, as of this morning, a total of 102 lbs. Combination of Intermittent Fasting, logging daily and exercise in gym 5 days a week (30 minutes cardiovascular and 1 hour of strength training machines). I have had my ups and down, but continued on even with not so legal days. Good luck on your new lifestyle.
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    41 days for me lose 14 lbs. I'm 5'8" and weighed 228 lbs. when I started. I aim to keep calories to between 1280-1300 per day until I reach my goal weight. Also, I eliminated soda, fried foods, and empty calorie snacks from my diet. At the moment, I also alternate jogging 35 minutes three days a week with walking 60 minutes three days a week, taking one rest day. But, I plan on increasing the jogging time as I get fitter.
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    I had a little more than you to loose at 34lbs in total. I've worked off a 500kcal deficit and only rarely ate exercise calories. I lost 1lb a week consistently since january. It might have felt very slow at times but in reality I've gone from a size 16UK to size 10UK and from just tipping into obease BMI to healthy since January. It's only now looking back that I see how all of those pounds add up quite quickly.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    About 6 weeks, diet and exercise: Cardio 5-6 times a week and calorie deficit, its mostly mental and forming new habits as opposed to quick fixes. I'm 5'8" currently 212, starting weight was 236 (about 3.5 months ago). Had a little setback for like 2 weeks while sick but getting back on track. Still working towards my goal weight and look forward to maintenence but feel better overall, not to mention my A1C went from a 9.4 to 6.4. Good luck, you got this 😉
  • cymande1961
    cymande1961 Posts: 45 Member
    edited September 2021
    Just under 2 months. Deliberately went slowly with reduction in calories and increase in physical activity. To me, since I really do want the weight loss to be permanent this time, I remind myself that if it took me years to put the excess weight on, I shouldn't be sussed about it taking a year or two to take it off and that, in the end, it's more likely to stay off if I go slow. That's why my goal is 1 lb/week (out of 110 to lose.)

• eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2021
    6 weeks... 30 minutes a day of HIIT indoor rowing, and good diet.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Hi
    It took me a year without dieting at all, though I did keep a food journal on MFP off and on and tried to be conscious of not over eating. I was still eating crisps, drinking wine, having cake almost every day. So I am living proof that busts the myth you can't outrun your stomach (up to a point). I did it through upping exercise to four bootcamps a week. But I have plateaued. So now I need to get the diet in check to lose the next stone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!