Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Millennial / Gen Y, 1991. Turning 30 later this year and I don't know any of the songs/artists Bella's quoting 🤔
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,579 Member
    Back to the topic of what's for dinner...

Breakfast: A slice of sourdough toast with organic peanut butter and a second slice with butter and marmite

Lunch (post workout): A slice of bread pudding and a vegan protein shake made with coconut milk, frozen banana and frozen berries

Dinner: Homemade chicken dhansak...although my husband mis-read the recipe and added 500g of dried split red lentils rather than the specified 100g....so it became more of a dhal than a dhansak. Anyway, it was delicious....and I have 6 more portions left for my lunches all week. Bonus! We ate it with basmati rice and poppadoms.

I'm quite enjoying this deficit break!
  • Today was patty melts because we didn't have them yesterday (because I forgot to get the rye bread out of the freezer the night before) and tonight was lamb curry with rice (and saag for those who can eat it) and mini naan breads. That's about all the bread I can handle if I eat curry and rice too, so it's fine. I know your stomach doesn't actually shrink if you eat smaller portions, your cues just change, but I do know that I hit the "Ugh, too much, gonna puke" at about half of what I used to eat. Sometimes I wonder when I'm portioning things out but experience has taught me that yes, that is enough for me. I'm pretty comfortable, by and large.

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    That is quite the accomplishment, Alexandra. I'm not quite there yet - but I am working on reducing my portions. Even if the calories are low - I don't need an overflowing plate of vegetables!

That being said - tonight is a pizza night for me (which always includes a few extra goodies). Tonight it is planned. Not part of a binge - and that feels pretty good. I figure that planning an occasional refeed or splurge night is appropriate when I'm aiming for a really high deficit most days. Tonight is the night. I'm pretty excited!
  • It's what I call my no-corset corset diet. (giggle) I like wearing corsets, and have done so off and on for many years so I know quite well how one eats in a corset, and although right now I don't have a corset that fits me, I can still eat as though I'm in one. Not too much liquid around the meal. Small portions.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Sorry, no corset on this body lol…..I did buy a new uplifting bra because my daughter and grand told me I had “ old lady boobs” lol….I am not overly large busted but Boy!…did that bra lift up those babies!…my grandaughter gleefully announced to the entire family that Nannie had her new bra on!
  • lauriekallis
    That is a funny thought, Alexandra. I've never worn a corset - but I have worn tight jeans and they are good for the portion awareness! But they always depress me because I feel so fat, which will often lead to me eating too much. It is all so complicated :s

Good for you, Connie! I'm thinking I need an uplifting bra too! Some birds holding ribbons might help? But, they can be expensive. And since I'm so close to goal I've thought I should wait, because I don't want to spend a whole pile of money on something that isn't going to fit right in a few months. Maybe a Christmas present to me?

Do you feel good wearing it? I'm guessing it probably makes you look slimmer??
  • conniewilkins56
    Slimmer and younger without droopy boobs!
  • Someday I will be able to buy a nice bra... (sigh) I see the plastic surgeon next month and I know quite well we won't be planning the surgery immediately, but it will be nice to know whether it's a "We can do it once you recover from the thyroid surgery" or "We'll do it when you've lost the next 60 lbs" or what.
  • lauriekallis
    Even if you have a ways to go - perhaps you should buy yourself a nice bra now? It really is such a boost - lol - that double entendre was not intended! - for your spirits!
  • lauriekallis
    So today I "broke my fast" with tea and 10g of brazil nuts - the hardboiled egg alternative. I like it even better. Kept me going for the morning walk - and won't interfere with my standard scrambled eggs and veggies midday meal. And it fits in with my "reasonable portion" work. They don't look like much, and they are not "filling" but they do seem to suppress hunger. I'm not sure if there is a word for that. So I think this fast-breaking combo will be a keeper.

Though I could get those hard-boiled eggs down - they interfered with my egg/veggie go-to meal. Can't have that. :D I think we are probably all a little obsessive when it comes to food and our meal routines.
  • Bella_Figura
    One of my unbreakable rules of eating is NEVER to eat something unpalatable just because it's 'healthy' or helps me hit one of my macros.

For future reference, mixing 10g of banana flavoured Vegan Wondershake protein powder into 75g of Fage 5% Greek yoghurt and eating with defrosted berries and chunks of fresh banana IS NOT PALATABLE. It made the yoghurt claggy and there weren't enough other flavours to mask the slightly pea-ish taste of the protein powder (hardly surprising it tastes pea-ish since it's pea protein).

Not an experiment to be repeated.
  • Bella_Figura
    So today I "broke my fast" with tea and 10g of brazil nuts

Isn't that about one nut?
  • amart4224
    I made a trip to the ~FaNcY~ grocery store this morning to see if there was anything out of the ordinary that might pique my interest (and that I would be willing to drop big bucks on, because that place is expensive.) Ran across some cartons of Muscadine Black grapes - anyone familiar? They're much bigger than regular grapes, like ping pong ball sized, and they didn't come on a vine, just loose in the carton. I thought they looked fun and brought them home to try - jury is still out on if I actually like them.

Also picked up some dates and goat cheese, mushrooms, a bag of apples, and a little cup of pomegranate arils that I've been snacking on all day. Nice to get a little outside the norm sometimes!
  • conniewilkins56
    Dinner tonight was really good…..beef cube steaks fried in a few spritz of olive oil, air fryer tiny potatoes and steamed petite green peas….coffee and fiber one cookie for dessert….I am stuffed!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited September 2021
    amart4224 wrote: »
    I made a trip to the ~FaNcY~ grocery store this morning to see if there was anything out of the ordinary that might pique my interest (and that I would be willing to drop big bucks on, because that place is expensive.) Ran across some cartons of Muscadine Black grapes - anyone familiar? They're much bigger than regular grapes, like ping pong ball sized, and they didn't come on a vine, just loose in the carton. I thought they looked fun and brought them home to try - jury is still out on if I actually like them.

Also picked up some dates and goat cheese, mushrooms, a bag of apples, and a little cup of pomegranate arils that I've been snacking on all day. Nice to get a little outside the norm sometimes!
    Not familiar with those grapes - intriguing, but my usual preference is for green grapes. Your other goodies sound delicious! Just the things I'd have selected if i was treating myself (except the mushrooms - I'm not a fan). But a small side-plate laden with goat cheese, pomegranate, dates and slices of crisp apple sounds heavenly. Even better if you added a drizzle of honey. Nom nom nom.

Dinner tonight was really good…..beef cube steaks fried in a few spritz of olive oil, air fryer tiny potatoes and steamed petite green peas….coffee and fiber one cookie for dessert….I am stuffed!

Mmmm, that DOES sound good!
  • lauriekallis
    So today I "broke my fast" with tea and 10g of brazil nuts

Isn't that about one nut?

4 small or 3 medium :) which works well for me - I'm not really a morning eater (the only time of day I don't really like to eat!).
  • amart4224
    @Bella_Figura funny you mentioned the honey - the goat cheese I picked up is supposed to be... infused? flavored? imbued with the essence of honey? I don't know how they've done it but I'm eager to try it!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited September 2021
    Grocery trip and all the Indian food
    sounds delish.

Brazil nut needs re weight? I was wondering if 10g is even one nut! These suckers are normally huge!!!

We went to the dogs yesterday and I carefully (and generously) logged my delicious BBQ brisquet dinner (CCCGG's request is minimum two dinners at BIG T BBQ!!!) and I was, in my opinion, at a deficit or at worse even Steven.

Fitbit decrees that I'm dreaming given that my 2bpm increase of resting heart rate this morning is a clear indication (in my case) of a caloric surplus yesterday!!!

r8wopvmdwx4y.jpg

0qtsvwrefb4r.jpg

m2yoc88tt1en.jpg

• lauriekallis
    Oh, be still my heart <3

???? - Your heart rate went up because of a caloric surplus ???? My heart rate just went up a few beats looking at your beautiful smiling faces. I'm surprised that your resting heart rate isn't in the 80s or 90s :)

And - on the far less important question of brazil nut weights ... unless my scale is bonkers in an undetectable manner (or maybe because my brazil nuts are on the smaller side?) I can mix and match nuts so that 4 small or 3 medium nuts weigh in at 10 grams. I've checked it against a postal scale I have (but that doesn't accurately compare the very light weight of a gram or two) and all seems well with the scale. My gram/vs single almond ratio seems correct compared to the figures in the MFP database. One research article I found online noted the average weight of each brazil nut was 4 plus/minus .4g - so I think my measurement is okay. Lol - obsession :) not around these parts!