September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Congrats @quilteryoyo
    😃💯💥🙌🏃‍♀️🏁
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @martaindale yes! This is the vest I'm keeping. It was more than I had budgeted but it's the only one that fits my needs and fits me 🤣
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    As @Teresa502 said above, I did finish the HM and it was awesome to have her with me and push me to run (what little I did) and finish those last 2.5 miles. I will give a race report tomorrow. I wanted to today, but by the time I got home, showered, and ate a bite, it was time to leave again to go to a 50th anniversary party for a couple that were my neighbors for most of my youth up until about 3 years ago. Just wanted to let you all know that I DID IT!

Way to go!!!!!
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2021
    Well done in your race @polskagirl01. Glad your new Asthma medication worked.

Re: aid stations running out of cups - many races are now becoming cupless, but that race takes it to a whole different level! Lol

I can't run and hold a cup of water, absolutely impossible. Nor do I like running holding a bottle in my hand. Wearing a running vest is now second nature to me and I always carry water when running a race longer than 10k.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Re: aid stations running out of cups - many races are now becoming cupless, but that race takes it to a whole different level! Lol
    Somewhat related: I had to make stickers for the segregated trash cans at church, and no one ever knows where to put those paper coffee cups, so I looked it up... they are NOT RECYCLABLE :o:/
    I've been throwing them into "paper", and others thought the coating puts them in "plastic/metal" because they're similar to milk/juice cartons, but we were all wrong.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I can’t keep track of everyone I want to comment on, but just wanted to say how proud I am of everyone! @skippygirlsmom and @Teresa502 way to go with the acts of kindness! Everyone who raced, great racing! Congrats @quilteryoyo on your first Half!

@Tramboman Pretty sure that is an immature cottonmouth, they are crazy common on the Wolf this year.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Somewhat related: I had to make stickers for the segregated trash cans at church, and no one ever knows where to put those paper coffee cups, so I looked it up... they are NOT RECYCLABLE :o:/
    I've been throwing them into "paper", and others thought the coating puts them in "plastic/metal" because they're similar to milk/juice cartons, but we were all wrong.

Yes you are right, they are paper on the outside but have a plastic coating on the inside.

The last few races I have done have been ultra distances and at these they never give out cup/bottles of water as they are cupless events, since you need to carry a minimum amount of fluid, you just top-up at the aid stations.

I'm unlikely to race a 10k for a long time (prefer longer distances) so don't know if these races still provide bottles of water. Most people only take a few sips of water anyway and throw the bottle to the side, so it's a waste.

I much prefer carrying my own and taking a sip as and when needed.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    Spending a few minutes before getting ready for church to start catching up on the thread. I'll try to finish this afternoon and get my race report written.

@Scott6255 I agree...the running community really is fantastic! Interesting that after 6 miles your leg quit hurting. I hope it heals soon.

@katharmonic Glad you got your 3.2 miles in on Friday....had to laugh at your motivation being your friend running 20 miles earlier. Also glad you chose to sleep in. Sleep is important to our health too!

@rheddmobile Sorry about the fridge issues. Hope you were able to take care of it quickly. I know parts can be hard to come by these days. Yikes on the snake. Glad you didn't step on it.

@Tramboman Glad you enjoyed kayaking. I would have liked to have seen a video of that too. :lol:

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    9-1 7k easy
    9-2 rest
    9-3 4k slow
    9-4 4k sloooooooow
    9-5 4k easy
    9-6 4k moderate
    9-7 4k moderate
    9-8 rest
    9-9 rest
    9-10 4k slow
    9-11 4k moderate
    9-12 4k easy
    9-13 rest
    9-14 4k easy
    9-15 4k easy
    9-16 rest
    9-17 4k easy
    9-18 4k slow
    9-19 4k moderate

September Total: 62k
    September Goal: 150k

Sunny and upper 50s F this morning. Started off easy until I loosened up and then picked up the pace a little. Think I'll be able to get back to 7k soon.
    Starting to hear the same birds I was hearing in March.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
    9/18 Hattie Larlham ThriveK, Aurora, OH Scratch
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited September 2021
    @polskagirl01 way to support your teammates!
    @WhatMeRunning you are such an overachiever ;)
    @Tramboman glad you are feeling better!

73F 90% humidity 0 wind for a mid September morning run is ridiculous. But finished my Guinness World Record Attempt 10K. Was 2 min/mi faster than yesterday. Originally wanted to be sub 8 min/mi, but that was a pipe dream as of late. Still, this was better than I expected when I woke up this morning.

exercise.png
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited September 2021
    Great racing from so many people this weekend!
    @quilteryoyo Congrats on your first HM!
    @penguinmama87 Good job on your 5K PR, especially after being ill for a week!
    @polskagirl01 Way to go! I am sorry to hear your asthma is continuing to be an issue. I hope you and your dr figure out a regimen for you that works. The water being poured into your hands at aid stations is hilarious! I would be there a while to get enough in my mouth and not just down the front of my shirt!

@WhatMeRunning @bradkcrew Reading back now I can see how my original reply was vague. You can absolutely run in a deficit and I did not intend to imply otherwise. I was still losing weight when I started running and didn’t adjust my calories because I had weight to lose/energy for my body to burn, I was only running 3 days a week and maybe 3 miles at a time doing c25k. As I got to goal weight, which also happened as I was starting to run closer to the distances @bradcrew is now, runs got hard. I adjusted to my calculated baseline TDEE and it was better for a while. Ultimately, I could tell I was still underfueling because I was so hungry at the end of the day and my “cheat day Saturdays” got super cheaty, which wasn’t normal for me. I ended up needing to add about 200 cals a day above that TDEE to maintain my weight and not be hangry. When you mentioned that your runs are hard from the first step, one of the first things to consider is whether you have the fuel for your body to be doing the activity. Other things to consider are whether you need more sleep, are you doing a warm-up, are you stretching and allowing your muscles to recover from previous activity, are you hydrated?
    Re: carbs and their importance in your daily diet is going to vary from person to person. We have some runners in this group that are very low carb ( @T1DCarnivoreRunner comes to mind) and some that probably eat multitudes more carbs per day than I do. I don’t count macros, but I would say my diet seems to be pretty close to Mediterranean diet style meals with more complex carbs than straight up bread/sugar. I also have a little dessert at night, so there’s my baby sugar bump. This style of eating is what I figured out over the past several years works for me. I feel better eating like this. Your body and mine may very well not like the same foods. I get hypoglycemic so eating large carb/sugar boluses can send my blood sugar spiking and then I crash. My husband eats a ton of carbs and functions much better mentally and physically this way vs a low carb diet, which honestly made him a little depressed.
    I hope that clarifies a little. You mentioned that you weren’t sure where you were with calories or where you needed to be. Sitting down and doing the math using the last couple of weeks of runs and food then looking at what you need with your weight loss/maintenance/gain goals will probably be more help than any specific diet/macro advice at this point.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @martaindale I didn't get any impression from your prior post about not being able to run in a deficit. 😉 Sorry if my post made it seem that way. I was just posting to add additional thoughts to some past advice I had offered to @bradkcrew in another location in MFP. Your added advice and background is super great information, thanks for sharing all that!