Dairy

My nutritionist said that I should cut off dairy as lactose is an insulin antagonist And that it decreases weight loss rate, is that true
Is dairy really that harmful

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Are you diabetic or diagnosed insulin resistant?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Farouha98 wrote: »
    My nutritionist said that I should cut off dairy as lactose is an insulin antagonist And that it decreases weight loss rate, is that true

Whenever anyone makes bold claims like that, I'd ask for the research to back it up, or look for it myself on reputable, non-biased websites/publications like the ones posted above.

I am sensitive to SOME forms of dairy, but not all (or at least not THAT much). For example, my nose always runs a bit after I eat Greek yogurt but nothing else seems to bother me. If I have milk, cream or even ice cream, it bothers my stomach in different ways. Theoretically, some forms of dairy may cause me to bloat/retain water, so I guess the scale wouldn't move as much. However, even before I discovered this I was still able to eat all kinds of dairy and lose weight.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    I think I have read some studies that link dairy consumption to insulin resistance in non-diabetic (women)...but I don't know that those studies went further to show a link with weight gain or trouble losing weight when trying.

So the first thing to ask your nutritionist is IF you are insulin resistant or not --- they would only know if you've gotten bloodwork/A1C levels checked. If it's not an issue then I don't see why you would need to stay away from dairy unless it's causing you other issues.

Things being linked/correlated is good information to have and it can be used to make decisions about what you want to eat -- but, just bc those two things are linked in some amount of the participant population of a study -- it doesn't mean that it's applicable to EVERYONE.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Farouha98 wrote: »

Whenever anyone makes bold claims like that, I'd ask for the research to back it up, or look for it myself on reputable, non-biased websites/publications like the ones posted above.

I am sensitive to SOME forms of dairy, but not all (or at least not THAT much). For example, my nose always runs a bit after I eat Greek yogurt but nothing else seems to bother me. If I have milk, cream or even ice cream, it bothers my stomach in different ways. Theoretically, some forms of dairy may cause me to bloat/retain water, so I guess the scale wouldn't move as much. However, even before I discovered this I was still able to eat all kinds of dairy and lose weight.

I agree with doing your own research. One thing stood out to me - OP said "My nutritionist", so I'm assuming whoever told you this isn't a Registered Dietician or Certified Diabetes Educator?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    If you think you may have a food sensitivity/ allergy.... go to an allergist. Science is wonderful.

I am not diabetic and though I LOVE dairy, I don't eat a huge amount of it, for the simple fact it generally does not fit well into my calories LOL

However, there have certainly been times where I have had more dairy than is typical for me, whether in a single day or even over an extended period of time. as long as I am within my calorie allotment, it has no effect on me losing weight. I have yogurt and cottage cheese on a fairly regular basis (though not in giant quantities or anything- normal portion sizes) and lose weight consistently.
  • Speakeasy76
    If you think you may have a food sensitivity/ allergy.... go to an allergist. Science is wonderful.

I am not diabetic and though I LOVE dairy, I don't eat a huge amount of it, for the simple fact it generally does not fit well into my calories LOL

However, there have certainly been times where I have had more dairy than is typical for me, whether in a single day or even over an extended period of time. as long as I am within my calorie allotment, it has no effect on me losing weight. I have yogurt and cottage cheese on a fairly regular basis (though not in giant quantities or anything- normal portion sizes) and lose weight consistently.

An allergist can't determine a food sensitivity or intolerance through allergy testing alone. My mom absolutely knows there are some foods that she can't handle well, but the only food she was found to be allergic to through allergy testing was raw tomatoes. Even with allergy testing, people will often be put on an elimination diet, which would help determine any reactions to foods.
  • callsitlikeiseeit

An allergist can't determine a food sensitivity or intolerance through allergy testing alone. My mom absolutely knows there are some foods that she can't handle well, but the only food she was found to be allergic to through allergy testing was raw tomatoes. Even with allergy testing, people will often be put on an elimination diet, which would help determine any reactions to foods.

it would still be ... Step 1. See. A. Professional.

I have multiple food (and non food) allergies. And an allergist.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    wait.... HOLD THE PHONES..... Dairy and Diabetes/Insulin Resistance.... There's a correlation there I need to study up on?? Geeze @callsitlikeiseeit any other wonderful cheer you want to spread my way today?? (You know I'm using my sarcasm font right?) Our house for the record? (2 of us) go thru a gallon of milk in 3 days. and she doesn't like it except in the occasional cereal bowl. Guess I'm busted... Now to go study.. If @IKanDee7722 can chuck the coffee. I can chuck the milk.... But I won't like it ma'am, not one bit no sirree bubba! BTW, If there ever comes a study between coffee and Diabetes?? I guess my time card will be punched... =)
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Reading all these different studies (Thanks to @JBanx256 for some of them) and doing my own google search and reading has led me to believe "They really don't have an answer" Some of the examples of this:
    One study read: Conclusion Dietary patterns characterized by higher dairy intake, especially low-fat dairy intake, may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes in men. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1152788

Another reads: Milk, cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products may not immediately spike your blood sugar, but they could make you more insulin resistant over time.
    https://www.levelshealth.com/blog/what-we-know-about-dairy-and-blood-sugar

Yet another put two issues together (Dairy and Red meat) and I damned near went crosseyed trying to read it, but it said: Fasting insulin increased after the dairy diet with no change in fasting glucose, which resulted in a higher HOMA-IR index. Calculated insulin sensitivity from the OGTT showed reduced sensitivity after the dairy diet in women. The red meat diet had a similar insulin and glucose response to that of the control diet that contained white meat. In contrast to some epidemiologic findings, these results suggest that, in overweight and obese individuals, high consumption of dairy may reduce insulin sensitivity compared with a diet high in lean red meat.
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/101/6/1173/4564565

So really?? I think "for me" a gallon of whole milk every 2-3 days may be a bit excessive. But it's not a sustainable change to do away with either. So "My answer" is going to be to reduce intake to 1-2 glasses (8oz) a day and see what happens. (watch my weight and sugar and do my own study)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    wait.... HOLD THE PHONES..... Dairy and Diabetes/Insulin Resistance.... There's a correlation there I need to study up on?? Geeze @callsitlikeiseeit any other wonderful cheer you want to spread my way today?? (You know I'm using my sarcasm font right?) Our house for the record? (2 of us) go thru a gallon of milk in 3 days. and she doesn't like it except in the occasional cereal bowl. Guess I'm busted...

LOL when my daughter was in highschool, I took in our neighbors daughter (she had cancer and then passed, and the girl stayed with me until she graduated high school). same age as my daughter. I swear those girls went through milk and TP like it was the apocalypse. I swear it felt like i was buying both every day.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member

So really?? I think "for me" a gallon of whole milk every 2-3 days may be a bit excessive. But it's not a sustainable change to do away with either. So "My answer" is going to be to reduce intake to 1-2 glasses (8oz) a day and see what happens. (watch my weight and sugar and do my own study)

If it weren't for the sheer calorie count, I could easily drink a gallon of "red cap" (my pet name for whole milk) every couple-few days, no problem. I do consume Greek yogurt & cottage cheese almost every day, whey at least 5-6 days/week, and cheese...ummm well let's just say I like cheese. A lot. LOL. Weight does what it's supposed to do (in terms of being predictable etc) and I've never had an issue with blood sugar.

• Speakeasy76

it would still be ... Step 1. See. A. Professional.

I have multiple food (and non food) allergies. And an allergist.

I don't disagree that a person should see an allergist if they suspect food allergies, and probably should have an allergist may not be able to determine sensitivities through testing alone. I also realize there's not consensus even among health professionals what the differences are between allergies, sensitivities and intolerances, with some using the last 2 interchangeably and referring to digestive symptoms only.

I also have been under the care of an allergist and had the skin prick testing done, with only allergies to "mixed weeds" and "mixed molds" being identified as allergens. I even got the allergy shots. However, the last few years my allergies seemed to get worse, experiencing them when pollen/mold counts were supposedly low. I was taking 2 medications per day and getting only some relief. I thought maybe it was my cosmetics causing a reaction. I finally sought out help from a registered dietician under the advice of my physical therapist, and I decided to do a supervised an elimination diet this spring. Interestingly, I have not had to take allergy medicine since, despite going for walks almost everyday in forest preserves, walking by weeds, and my other symptoms (digestive and joint) have improved as well.

I understand my and my mother's experiences are not proof that allergy testing won't pick up sensitivities, but it is something to consider. I also don't advocate for people to buy over the counter sensitivity testing and elimination diets unsupervised, but there are other options out there as well.