Avocado Toast

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
So I've recently gotten into avocado toast and I am curious how others make theirs. For now, I just bought some guacamole that is in a bottle that prevents it from going bad so quickly. I add a bit of the guac and an egg and some garlic seasoning and I'm good to go!

Do you slice or mash avocados? Do you prefer quacamole?

I'm just curious what others do! :)

Replies

• fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    I usually mash the avocado and add some garlic salt, pepper (dried habanero peppers from my garden), and lemon or lime juice. I usually use half an avocado, so the other half I store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Sometimes I top my avocado toast with either a poached egg or bacon.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited September 2021
    I love avocado toast! Quick, easy, and very versatile. I just add whatever is in the fridge and top it with seasonings. I slice or mashed the avocado depending on what I’m putting on top or lazy I feel. I haven’t tried making guacamole to put over.

Mashed normally I’ll add goat or feta with something else - salsa, sliced tomato, olives, sprouts, onions, hot peppers…

Thinly sliced, I layer it over a protein - smoke salmon, lox, Canadian bacon, bacon are some of my favs - and add herbs

Over the top, everything bagel mix, dried onion, salt, pepper, chili flakes, balsamic vinegar…
  • I111RHO
    I111RHO Posts: 1 Member
    Love avocado toast. Mash and top with everything bagel seasoning. Yum!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    I had a cookbook on ethnic ingredients that claimed Mexicans call avocado "poor man's butter". I just smear it on toast or crackers and sprinkle on some garlic salt. If you are keeping the leftover avocado in the fridge drizzle somethic acidic (preferably lime) on the exposed flesh.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2021
    I like rustic seeded breads best. Mashed with a little hot sauce, sprinkled with homemade Everything but the Bagel Seasoning. Just my taste, but I think Trader Joe’s has too much garlic, so I make my own and cut back on the garlic a bit. My recipe makes a lot of the seasoning, which is good, because I use it on a lot of things.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    Also a fan of avocado toast, but nothing new regarding how to make it. I use half an avocado per sandwich. If you store the other half with the seed in, and cover it, it will stay fresh for a day or so. I just don't like lemon much, but I do keep a bottle of key lime juice in the refrigerator. So when I make guacamole or store avocado I add a few drops of that for my acid.

Key lime juice is my go-to secret ingredient for brightening flavors.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I like to top my avocado toast with lightly salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) from Aldi. Lime, salt and pepper are a must for the avocado.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I start with fresh avocado and fork- smash in onto the toast so there are creamy bits and lots of big chunks. I top with thin sliced tomato Tajin chile-lime seasoning, and a little green onion or fresh basil if I have them on hand
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I like it simple, sliced with salt and pepper on buttered toast. A friend from Brazil suggested sprinkling it with sugar... typically how it's prepared there!
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    I love avocado toast. I usually just use a fresh avocado on Ezekiel bread with some spices, I also often eat it with strawberries. Very filling and delicious.
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    I mash the avocado and add garlic and a dash of sriracha sauce, put that on toast and then a cheese slice and melt that on top, now I want one but I'm at work :s
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I just use avocado or sometimes guac as a mayo sub in almost everything. Random sandwich, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, whatever. Yeah avocado is high calorie but it isn't HUNDRED CALORIES A TABLESPOON HIGH CALORIE.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited October 2021
    I just use avocado or sometimes guac as a mayo sub in almost everything. Random sandwich, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, whatever. Yeah avocado is high calorie but it isn't HUNDRED CALORIES A TABLESPOON HIGH CALORIE.

Plus it's better for you than the most mayo out there, anyway, the good-for-you fat vs. not-as-good.

I never got into the avocado toast thing as I'm not a big toast person anyway, but when I was on an elimination diet I did discover putting avocado on a baked potato. Now that I can have butter again, I'd rather have avocado anyway.
  • wunderkindking

Plus it's better for you than the most mayo out there, anyway, the good-for-you fat vs. not-as-good.

I never got into the avocado toast thing as I'm not a big toast person anyway, but when I was on an elimination diet I did discover putting avocado on a baked potato. Now that I can have butter again, I'd rather have avocado anyway.

Yeah. You get the fat, you get moisture, and you get good flavor. The premade guac I made (which is not just avocado I know) is 40 calories for 2 tablespoons (I don't do weighing). It's healthy fat, it gets me TONS of flavor I don't have to do slicing and dicing for, and it still provides moisture and binding abilities. I guess it'd be weird as heck in some places people use mayo like coleslaw or potato salad, but it's a really good sub for butter and mayo in a LOT of places.

Also it's delicious.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I smash the avocado and spread it on. salt, sliced cucumber, spinach and balsamic vinegar.
  • cyfehr76
    cyfehr76 Posts: 45 Member
    This is all to taste so I use my own judgement with measuring ingredients. Smash the avocado and add lime juice, lemon juice, minced onion and garlic, Worcester sauce, cilantro, salt and pepper. Spread on the toast. Top with crumbled turkey bacon. So simple.
  • casillasrocio99
    casillasrocio99 Posts: 4 Member
    mash the avocado on slice of toasted whole wheat bread then sprinkle some honey goat cheese, its yummy if you like goat cheese.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
    I just discussed this topic with a friend over the weekend and she said she puts cottage cheese, avocado and everything bagel seasoning on hers. I'm excited to try this out since I do enjoy cottage cheese lol.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Whole wheat toast, smoked salmon, 1/2 mashed avocado w. salt/pepper/lime juice, topped with over easy fried egg is my favorite.
  • wunderkindking
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    I just discussed this topic with a friend over the weekend and she said she puts cottage cheese, avocado and everything bagel seasoning on hers. I'm excited to try this out since I do enjoy cottage cheese lol.

I know what I'm eating for lunch, now!