Start bulking or maintain?

y7ewhlw2qyuj.jpeg
xfotbvor2u9v.jpeg
9a1jxe0l7250.jpeg
bz1tl3c3pdwv.jpeg
ebtuov90m00i.png

Recently was told about recomp by some of the people here and read a few posts about it and looked into some other online resources. I’m 5’5 109-112 lbs and want to look more lean and build muscle. My question is now do I try and bulk or do I just continue exercising and eating in maintenance? I go to the gym about 6x a week, I do cardio usually twice and do some light / moderate strength training for legs abs back/shoulders and arms split throughout the week.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    y7ewhlw2qyuj.jpeg
    xfotbvor2u9v.jpeg
    9a1jxe0l7250.jpeg
    bz1tl3c3pdwv.jpeg
    ebtuov90m00i.png

Recently was told about recomp by some of the people here and read a few posts about it and looked into some other online resources. I’m 5’5 109-112 lbs and want to look more lean and build muscle. My question is now do I try and bulk or do I just continue exercising and eating in maintenance? I go to the gym about 6x a week, I do cardio usually twice and do some light / moderate strength training for legs abs back/shoulders and arms split throughout the week.

You could start with a recomp with a better lifting program with more frequency and then run into a lean bulk might yield the best results. Overall, you are lean enough for either a lean bulk or recomp.

Are you even hitting chest?
  • user20012001
    user20012001 Posts: 22 Member
    Not alot of chest, Im still trying to learn machines and new exercises. I was trying to cut weight until people on here said it wont get the results I'm looking for so i have no idea what to do next really
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    JMO, your BMI is very healthy and you already look very lean, so I think you'd be better off doing a slow gain (sounds better than "bulk"), I'm guessing here say +100 calories per day, and see how you get on. Be sure to keep measuring progress with pictures too.

Are you getting enough protein? How much are you getting? I think about 63g-72g would be a good target, that's 0.7g-0.8g per pound of lean body mass.
  • user20012001
    JMO, your BMI is very healthy and you already look very lean, so I think you'd be better off doing a slow gain (sounds better than "bulk"), I'm guessing here say +100 calories per day, and see how you get on. Be sure to keep measuring progress with pictures too.

Are you getting enough protein? How much are you getting? I think about 63g-72g would be a good target, that's 0.7g-0.8g per pound of lean body mass.

I usually get about 100g protein so I think that’s enough, thanks!
  • user20012001
    sijomial wrote: »

<Snip>
    and do some light / moderate strength training for legs abs back/shoulders and arms split throughout the week.

Until you start training for muscle gain more seriously bulking wouldn't seem sensible, you would most likely add a disproportionate and disappointing amount of fat and little muscle.

Would suggest addressing your training first before considering eating in a surplus if you are serious about gaining muscle.

Awesome thank you

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    When you say you are training mod/light that doesn't give any info on the actual stimulus being achieved.

We know we can gain muscle and/or strength at very low intensities given the volume and amount of stimulus is sufficient.

If we are novel to training we are sensitive to just about any stimulus. Once we have a few weeks/months in we should be looking for more advanced training.

I don't have much info about you to give you a professional opinion but with what you have stated I would generallt advise.

1. Eat a average of your TDEE daily.
    2. Find appropriate programming that uses auto regulation and proper load management with sufficient volume and stimulus for the time/equipment you have available.
    3. Run the programming and access the next step towards your goals.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member

Her Bmi is NOT "very healthy" it is underweight...

I would say eat a small calorie surplus, lift weights and aim to gain some muscle mass. You will look more fit with increased muscle tone and you will be at a healthy weight.

^^THIS!

You are already lean. If you want to look more "toned", which means adding muscle, then look at a progressive lifting program developed by someone that knows what they're doing. Here's a great thread that has some great programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1. And as part of that you'll see much better results if you eat a slight calorie surplus, particularly given how lean you already are. You can recomp but it will be slow because of how lean you are. I would definitely recommend against losing more weight if you care at all about building muscle.
  • user20012001
    edited September 2021
    ^^THIS!

You are already lean. If you want to look more "toned", which means adding muscle, then look at a progressive lifting program developed by someone that knows what they're doing. Here's a great thread that has some great programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1. And as part of that you'll see much better results if you eat a slight calorie surplus, particularly given how lean you already are. You can recomp but it will be slow because of how lean you are. I would definitely recommend against losing more weight if you care at all about building muscle.

that’s very helpful thank you, now I just need to figure out how many calories is a surplus for me haha

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Her Bmi is NOT "very healthy" it is underweight...

I would say eat a small calorie surplus, lift weights and aim to gain some muscle mass. You will look more fit with increased muscle tone and you will be at a healthy weight.

^^THIS!

I generally recommend ensuring you are following a well structured routine and have competencies with the lifts prior to a surplus. This could be a 1 month or more period so when you get in a surplus, you can maximize the results.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would say you should bulk, gain some muscle mass . You are lean and can afford some fat gain in the process.
  • user20012001
    xy83ffcdr7zx.jpeg

Ok here’s the update about 1 month eating and lifting more, not sure if there’s a big difference haha