Latest Ouchy or injury 🤕

Replies

• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited September 2021
    Ischial bursitis - pain in the *kitten*, literally. No clue what caused it but it caused inflammation and flared my already existing lower back and hip arthritis.

If pain lets us know we are alive — I’m very alive 😂🤣
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I've got a number of "memories" that are daily reminders of my adventures.

Most recent "new" injury (on top of a previous injury in the same region) was a high side crash during a race back in March of this year. Massive swelling, bruising, hematoma on my buttocks, and a tailbone that I don't think will ever forgive me. Still have a few lumps that haven't fully gone away yet from that one. Second one of those I've had - I wear the airbag suits, which do a fantastic job of protecting everything north of my butt, but my poor tush seems to take the brunt of it then LOL.

Back in late 2016 had a mid grade pilon fracture (a bad one, but I have seen worse ones) - that one NEVER lets me forget about it. Every single day this one reminds me of it's presence, and regularly gets to be a 'crankle' if I do something new or push it a little harder than it likes.

This past week my left shoulder been complaining....old injuries (again) that I've just made mad doing a few "new" things....not fitting in my regular weights routine makes that worse, hoping for more telecommute ability soon so I can get back to lifting again (between 2 jobs that I do 5 days a week, daily lifting just isn't much of an option right now).
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I'm laughing to myself as I read the injury posts. NOT because any of the injuries posted are funny, but rather that this thread helped me recall the long list of bumps and bruises I've sustained over the years.

Trail running and cycling have been the primary culprits. Whether tripping over roots or forgetting to unclip at a stop sign, I've donated blood more times than I can count. One memorable dismount came at the very end of a Miami to Key West bike ride. After a day and a half in the saddle, I pulled into downtown Key West and rode along carefully and slowly while looking for my hotel amid heavy traffic. When I saw my hotel across the street, I got off my bike and pushed the crosswalk button to stop traffic while I crossed the street. Once traffic stopped, I hopped on the bike and slowly rode across the street, pulling into the hotel parking lot which was down a small hill. As I made a lazy circling left hand turn to pull my bike under the hotel and into a parking space, I didn't see the shaded pavement was littered with small acorn sized dates that had fallen from the palm trees. My front wheel didn't hit the dates, but the back wheel hit one squarely, sweeping my tire out from under me in a flash. BOOM. I was down on the pavement so fast, the hotel chambermaids on the second floor who saw me yelled "Call 911!" They must have thought I was dead, lol. I took quite an elbow, forearm and shin bruise - almost as big as the bruise to my ego. I kept thinking: "150 miles without incident and then you crash in the parking lot....idiot." :)

I so relate. That sprained ankle was trail running. After the run. On a root on the way to the van.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I so relate. That sprained ankle was trail running. After the run. On a root on the way to the van.

Oh yes, I quickly realized that falling is not a matter of "if" but "when" during cycling and trail running. Its ok though, since it has happened so frequently to folks in our running/cycling group that we hardly even take notice these days. :D
  • Djproulx
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Either my knee arthritis has suddenly progressed, or I have some sort of injury. Pain, swelling, locking, popping means I can't walk the dogs, ride my bike, or even get in/out of my kayak or do much of anything - it's so frustrating.
    Getting some imaging done and hoping it is some sort of acute injury (that can heal or be repaired) rather than just worsening arthritis - cause I can't live like this. :(

Fingers crossed for you. Several people I know have gotten PRP (plasma rich platelet) injections that have delivered significant longer term relief from arthritis related knee and toe pain.
  • Djproulx
    Title: "Blood, Sweat and Tears"
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Not really an injury, more like wear and tear: achy shoulder when lifting, but aa mid-session biofreeze application helps.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Not really an injury, more like wear and tear: achy shoulder when lifting, but aa mid-session biofreeze application helps.

I love me some biofreeze. That stuff is my go to soreness reliever
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    I love me some biofreeze. That stuff is my go to soreness reliever

I was really surprised at how well it works!
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    My arch and ankle got injured by a 5 mile walk in ill fitting shoes. It's been months and while I started wearing different shoes the injury is still here despite an arch and ankle brace, massager and stretches. I'm thinking I may actually need an evaluation.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Either my knee arthritis has suddenly progressed, or I have some sort of injury. Pain, swelling, locking, popping means I can't walk the dogs, ride my bike, or even get in/out of my kayak or do much of anything - it's so frustrating.
    Getting some imaging done and hoping it is some sort of acute injury (that can heal or be repaired) rather than just worsening arthritis - cause I can't live like this. :(

Xray and ultrasound showed some progression of arthritis, but Dr. doesn't think it explains my symptoms. She thinks it sounds like a "loose body" and is referring me for an MRI and to see a surgeon.

So while I wait to wind my way through the Cdn health system: just wondering if anyone has ever had a "loose body" in the knee joint that didn't show up on Xray, but showed on MRI or during arthroscopy? I do have a fairly large baker's cyst with debris, and also osteophytes.
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Chainsaw injury for hubby's thigh/knee. Have pictures if interested.

For myself, wrist injury from work.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

Xray and ultrasound showed some progression of arthritis, but Dr. doesn't think it explains my symptoms. She thinks it sounds like a "loose body" and is referring me for an MRI and to see a surgeon.

So while I wait to wind my way through the Cdn health system: just wondering if anyone has ever had a "loose body" in the knee joint that didn't show up on Xray, but showed on MRI or during arthroscopy? I do have a fairly large baker's cyst with debris, and also osteophytes.

My knee diagnosis is "pain with activity." That's helpful >.<
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2021

My knee diagnosis is "pain with activity." That's helpful >.<

Very helpful. My ultrasound report said "moderate effusion of uncertain etiology". Also super helpful.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Most recent injury was a lower back tweak doing deadlifts with bad form a couple months ago. Rest and light rehab got me back in the gym again.

Tomorrow's scheduled workout: deadlifts. Gulp! (J/k, I love me some deadlifts!)
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Bulging disc (desk slouching) resulting in sciatica since JUNE. Disc has mostly sorted itself (with some chiro input, me trying not to slouch and doing stretches for it), but sciatica is not improving so I can't run and can barely walk 2 miles, martial arts are difficult and painful. Legs and hips are in bits, it's unfun - do not recommend.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    It's been a tough summer for my poor right leg. Left is OK, unscathed. Background note: I'm 67, and I don't heal as snappily as I used to, plus I'm beginning to experience some fragility in my lower legs' skin.

(1) I ride a bike a fair amount. I ride flat pedals. Most flat pedals have nasty little traction pins that can do some contact damage to your lower legs. With the trails very crowded this year, with many users not aware or interested in trail etiquette, I experienced a number of incidents where I had to do sudden maneuvers or stops, and whacked my right leg (it's the one I habitually put down when stopping). In a couple of incidents, the pedal took some good bloody divots. I finally found pedals that work and don't have any sharp pins, and that problem ceased. It took a few weeks for the last of the wounds to heal.

(2) I had a near collision with another, speeding, cyclist in July. I was able to do a sudden stop (disk brakes are great!), but my interia caused me to tumble over, entangled in the bike, impacting my poor right leg, of course. I had extensive bruising and swelling (hematomas), which took a long time to clear. In fact, it is October now, and I still have a little hard knot and residual darkening above my right knee.