Healthier birthday foods

Hello, i am celebrating my birthday for the first time since I've started my diet, and I want to make some food for my guests that i will also be able to eat without eating too many calories but also feel full from eating. Does anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2021
    I'm assuming you want finger food kinds of things for grazing. If you're planning a sit down meal just let us know.

Choose your condiments wisely, as dips and dressings can add hidden calories. Sour cream based dips would be lower calorie than mayonnaise based dips, for example. And salsa is always a good choice. Sour cream with salsa mixed in makes an easy dip that's good with chips. Just mind your portions. Definitely offer vegetables as dippers. I find celery filling, if not especially tempting.

Berries are lower in carbs and calories than things like apples and bananas, by weight. They are not terribly filling but they do feel like a party in my mouth. Maybe it's just me.

If salt isn't an issue you can roll up deli meats. They tend to be low in fat and you get some protein. Depends on your budget whether you go with budget or real deli case stuff.

It isn't a party without cheese, but it's high in fat. Cubes of a good Swiss/Jarlsberg are a good compromise.

Sugar-free isn't carb or calorie-free, of course. But you could try sf cookies or candies. Me, I would just eat the cake -- but only a small piece.

Olives, in moderation. Cherry tomatoes are great too.

Fizzy fruity waters with no sugar added?

I'm a big fan of taco bars, because everybody can customize their own plate. With the same basic ingredients you can create tacos, taco salad, burritos, burrito bowls, etc. You can load your plate with greens and protein, and things like refried beans are pretty filling even if you just eat a little. Aldi makes a good low-carb flour tortilla, and their Casa Mamita or Pueblo Lindo taco shells are sodium free. Corn tortillas have fewer carbs/calories than flour ones. Cilantro and jalapeño toppings add almost no calories, and you can have fresh ingredients like chopped onions and milder peppers.

Oh, and yogurt parfaits are pretty healthy and filling. Yogurt parfait bars are even better as you can limit yourself to a drizzle of the sweet stuff. Plain or vanilla yogurt (Greek works, or low-carb), berries or chopped fruit, granola, honey, jam or no-sugar-added fruit spread. Easy to set up; looks beautiful served in a clear container.

And happy birthday!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    In general, portion control.

Did you want ideas for finger foods or a sit down meal?

I like the taco bar idea above.

I also just make sure there are some lower calorie, bulky options available so I can fill up on those while having a few higher calorie items.
  • mourvedre
    mourvedre Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2021
    Recently we had an outdoor get together and I made shish kabobs - pork, chicken and vegan. I sliced three color peppers (red, yellow and green), eggplant, onions, grape tomatoes and zucchini - marinated the whole kabob in a little bit of olive oil, fresh lemon juice with oregano. I had store bought whole grain pita breads on the side and tzaziki sauce (store bought). I prepared them earlier and just put on the grill when we were close to dinner They were delicious and everyone loved them.
    Threw some roasted corn on the cob on the grill too!!

Great examples, ODW!....

Emilie, how about fish kebabs? 0-1 g fat in a full-portion of cod! Very flavorful from the grilled veggies, very filling from the (fish) protein.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Just enjoy yourself and don’t count for one day.

If I’m trying to stick to my diet and still eat party food, I make ceviche or shrimp cocktail. Fruit salad and veggie trays are good too. You could also do some kebabs or meatballs, salmon, pasta in a light sauce, tacos without cheese, etc.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    It's your birthday, the one day of the year that is about YOU and (IMO) doing what YOU want. If you feel better making healthier foods, go for it. However, I have never eaten in a deficit or even at maintenance on my birthday. As others have said, one day won't make or break weight loss, as long as you don't use it as an excuse to overeat for several days after (and even then you can get back on track).

If it were me, I'd make what I want, then give leftovers (or most of them) away to friends so I can get back on track.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    If you want to stick to low calorie foods( that wouldn't be me on my birthday but if it is your choice) I would offer the usual types of birthday foods but also cut up vegetable/fruit platters - and then have tiny portion of cake and big portion of fruit/ vegetables
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I have made fruit kebabs with assorted fruits and topped with a drizzle of white chocolate. They are colorful and low calorie and make ahead then chill in the fridge. Angel food cake and berries are also good and great for diabetic desserts.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,238 Member
    We recently purchased this milk frother on Amazon. There’s many similar ones.
    It takes 30 seconds to froth a half cup of 1% milk. Pour that lovely frothed milk on some berries and you have a healthy, tasty, celebratory treat.

Bonus: the milk frother will make drip coffee so much tastier.

68sz16lts107.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hello, i am celebrating my birthday for the first time since I've started my diet, and I want to make some food for my guests that i will also be able to eat without eating too many calories but also feel full from eating. Does anyone have suggestions?

@emilietho04 - Have a great birthday celebration!

Some party ideas- I second the crudité platter. Some dips for the veggies. What about a charcuterie platter and people can pick what they like? Can include some fruit, mustard and meat options.

Last party I went to had an oyster bar.. low calorie. :) Just get plenty of ice and some lil buckets for the shells. Shrimp cocktail?

If you are looking to cut down on sweets.. maybe finger food desserts .. macarons or mini cupcakes for guests? Can also do a lite sorbet as a palate cleanser in between courses if it’s a sit down dinner.

Whatever you choose. Have fun!

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2021
    I agree with everyone above about not stressing about it. It's your birthday!

I get that some people struggle with this kind of thing when they're first starting though. Going out to restaurants is another one...you can't avoid celebrations and outings forever, and can't always adjust the menus, so you have to learn to adapt if you want to be successful long term. It's one day, and as long as you're sticking to your plan the rest of the week it won't matter overall. Losing weight is more about long term consistency.

I say, have your favorite foods, have your cake...and then spend the day having an active adventure! Enjoy a nice long bicycle ride, take a walk and enjoy the sunshine, or something you like to do to celebrate you!