WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Heather. yikes for the fox poo! WhatsApp is super-easy and intuitive;

Barbara congrats on the SV! (Scale victory)

Machka
    think I've changed quite a bit between my two photos (me at 18 and me now). There's probably still a little bit of the 18-year old me in there somewhere, but not a lot.

And I've gone through quite a change just in the last 3.5 years. When my husband had his accident, I felt like I suddenly grew up ... became an adult. Quite different from how I felt at 18.

From my early 30s to my early 50s, I was "Peter Pan", which was another different me.

Though is sounds extremely trying the way you explain it here makes it sound positive (growing up rather than being "Peter Pan". ) Though maybe you preferred to be "Peter Pan"? Are you saying there are some up sides to all this?

I preferred being "Peter Pan". :)

It was a bit of a knock when I realised all of a sudden that I had grown up. I felt old and tired. All of a sudden I was responsible for someone other than me.

I've kind of settled into it, but I miss being "Peter Pan". One of the reasons behind my efforts this year (and probably into next) to organise things and get on top of things is so that I can recapture a little of those "Peter Pan" days again.

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I hope that WCB starts listening and gets this all straightened out soon.

Tracey in Edmonton

It's all in the hands of lawyers now and we've been told to brace ourselves for a long haul. It might not be too long (several more months or a year or so) ... or it could be quite long (many more years). Early days, so we don't know yet.

M in Oz
    Rori - it’s nice to read that you are getting out and enjoying life.

Machka - years is an insane amount of time, I hope it’s only months for you.

Tracey in Edmonton

The way I look at it is this ...

When I order a hamburger, I don't want them to rush making it. I want that hamburger to be well done ... thoroughly cooked all the way through. So I don't mind waiting for my hamburger.

In the same way, I don't want our situation to be rushed. I'd rather have the lawyers do thorough research and consider all the aspects, and thus for the outcome to be "well done". So I don't mind waiting for that to happen.

M in Oz

That’s a great analogy.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    :)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD, no haven't been to the doctor regarding vertigo. It subsided, so it kind of comes and goes. I need to make an appointment regarding my abdominal pain though. Last night another rough night. I think it's heartburn, so I take 2 Tums, then as the night progressed I'm thinking upset tummy, so I take 2 Pepto Bismol, then after a hot bath I think gas so I take one Gas X. I was finally able to sleep at about 3 or 4 am. Something has definitely changed. The fact that it passes, and today, I am just sore, has me stumped. I will make an appointment tomorrow, I promise.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

Could it be gallbladder? Sounds like what my DH described when he had trouble with his.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Julie ~ That cleaner sounds like a nut case! Evidently, he has no idea how to clean properly. I think I'd rather let my house be dirty than have someone like that inside.

Carol in GA

Carol I totally agree! I think I said this - I have an office helper who came. this one was good. she's fine. i'ms sure she is not THE fastest but she seems fine and normal and easy to have around.
  • bananasandoranges
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Julie--I remember wearing some makeup when I was a teenager. But seemed like to much trouble and always made my face feel funny. So for the last 50 years I have not worn makeup. I have tried just lipstick a couple times but never looked right. I did color my hair for years as starting going grey in my 20's. Now it depends on my mood, I will let it grow out and be almost all white and then one day just decide to color it and who knows what color I pick out, never the same twice in a row.

Rori--Glad to see you post and that you are doing things and making new friends.

Allie--Glad to hear you got your first SS check. One less thing to worry about.

Sue WA--So sorry for your loss. Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Michele-I know this is not easy for you, not being on the go. Please take it slow so you can heal.

Up to page 51 but about time to go to the eye doctor and finish my exam. She does it in 2 appointments a day apart. Been a crazy day at work and DH is still home ill. He did go back to doctor today and they did more blood work to check his heart as he woke up again in the night with chest pressure. Then we almost went on lock down as someone at the other hospital in town had a gun and he ran out and they were not sure where he went.
    Some days are more exciting than others.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3

I can understand that about make up and lipstick. Out of the countless colours there is only one I like. sort of red but not bright red. not SO far from natural. we are lucky with haircolor so I guess by the time I go very grey I will be at least 60+ and will see. Not knowing that Ould be the case, when younger I said - I'd cross that Bridge when I came to it. Changing colours sounds fun. I did temp reddish and highlights 2x in 58 years. (it really made my hair snarly and unhealthy the last time- I guess there is some bleach or something similar in lightening) I still toy with the idea of temp streaks in purple just for fun in summer one time when I have no classes- just temporarily- but don't want to do it on my own and my current hairdresser doesn't do temporary streaks, and I don't want to change hairdressers.
  • bananasandoranges
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Crio Bru for the cocoa? I get the Mayan blend and really like it.

Have they said 'how' they are rebooting the metabolism? By what mechanism?

Kiz
    North Florida
    I have not tried the Crio Bru. I use Ancient Nutrition Ancient Superfood Cocoa. I will look into it after I finish this tub. Winter is coming!

Answer to second question. I put it in a spoiler since some will not be interested.
    They haven't said specifically how they are rebooting the metabolism, but it is based on hormones. We had to fill out a medical history. They are very interested in things like our age and our menstrual stage in life, the amount of exercise we do, the number of times we have yo-yoed up and down with our weight, which messes with metabolism, things like that. We just got a new lesson today, our second of many. This one is called "How to be a Metabolism Detective." It's based on learning to self-evaluate your Hunger, Energy, and Cravings. If, for example, you are exercising a lot and not eating enough, the exercise creates excess amounts of certain hormones which then produces cravings which result in binging and/or not being able to stick to your plan. We are supposed to rate our hunger, energy and cravings each day and we will learn to adjust our eating accordingly. For example, if you are an exerciser (defined as weight lifting type stuff 3 or more days a week for 30 or more minutes), they have you eating more carbs. They are going to teach us how to read our bodies to know when things like hormones and blood sugar are causing low energy and/or cravings so that we can address it with the right foods. We also have to evaluate our sleep habits and our pain levels, the latter to determine if we are reducing inflammation with our eating plan. If we aren't getting the results we need, then we have to ask for a "hot seat" in the zoom class and they will coach us through figuring out why. We have to measure our breasts, waist and hips every week and other things like arms, chest, thighs once a month to determine if we are losing inches since the purpose of eating tons of protein and less carbs is to build muscle while burning fat.

Sue, hugs and prayers for you. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother.

Barbara, I may have been known to be a little prissy without the r, too.

My father's dementia is starting to rear its ugly head more and more often. The home health care nurse called his GP and we are going back to see him on Tuesday. He hasn't taken me seriously enough when I have mentioned it every single time I've seen him since March or so. I know there's not much you can do, but still. I and my non-medical doctor self think he gets worse when it is rainy and cloudy. My sister (also not a doctor) has suggested we slip some Vitamin D in with his morning meds. I've bought him a bottle along with a bottle of ashwagandha gummies for my mother to see if it will help her anxiety for dealing with him 24-7.

Bananas, I would not only fire that house cleaner, but I would fire the whole service. Maybe it's different in France, but here the cleaner supplies the products. Mine keeps different products for different homes, depending on the owners preference. As for putting away the silverware and things like that, I don't have my cleaner do those things. I do the daily maintenance stuff myself (dishes, trash, putting away the clutter, etc). I expect the cleaner to do floors, dust, scrub showers, toilets and mirrors. I don't have mine change the sheets because we do it more often than every two weeks, but I would if I wasn't physically able to do them myself. I certainly would not expect them to put clean ones on top of dirty ones. That is stupid. Nobody in their right mind would do that and certainly no legitimate house cleaner.

KATIE
    What is the program you are on about rebooting metabolism and zoom sessions?

I'm sorry about your dad's dimetia. that is hard to deal with. I think people don't recognise their own dimentia. vitamin D probably won't hurt! why rainy and cloudy - would that be linked to inflammation? my dad had vascular dementia. Basically sometimes he was pretty fine mentally and at other times totally out there as if with alzeimers saying nearly nonsense things for hours- depending - apparently on vascular ongoings. in his last year or so of life before congestive heart failure.

yep the cleaner will not be coming back. it seems really hard to find a good cleaner here. I have had many people come one time -sent by this o rthat service that seem to not want to clean or make big mistakes. another service only sends people a minimum of 2h per week and there is just not enough work at my place for that long term.

my place is just 2 main rooms so I have them clean the tiny kitchen the small bathroom change sheets and sweep and then we see what time remains. sometimes mop part of wood floors or clean windows. They usually don't want to come for less than 2 hours so I have to have enough for them to do.
  • bananasandoranges
    Lost my patience again. Grr
    This time so so- a bit slow and tired, grabbed very quick coffee and went to grocery store. I go every week or two and get food delivered (free if over 50 euros). usually on Saturday but can't tomorrow. it's easier than lugging bottles in street or caddie etc etc. so today got a few bottles 3 or 4 types fruits veggie cereal and that's about it. a hand basket full of food maybe 15 items or so. a lady in behind me just had 2 things so I told her she could go ahead of me. she was not pushy nor insisting.. then came a guy behind me with just a bottle of wine.i could see he wanted to go ahead too. I didn't feel great and didn't feel like letting everyone go ahead of me. (there can be a lot of people with "just a few things". then the very new young cashier - never seen before - told the guy she would take him first. I have NEVER seen that. she is very new and was haughty and said she had never seen that before that someone didn't want them to pass first. she said she works there and can decide who she takes first. then she had her mask slipping below her nose as I did (problems with small heads and standard masks- no big deal and I am no mask police). and told me to put on my mask back over my nose. so I told her the same. I was really irked. but I figure I was already in a medium bad mood. but it happens that people want to serve guys more quickly in certain circumstances. it some ways (not all) things are less gender equal here than in the usa. I hate that. I hate my own getting annoyed even more. in the whole world we are not 100% gender equal and never will in my life and mostly I don't fret it but sometimes I am really irked by the rampant injustice. this is just a tiny incidental thing..not worthy of such irritation....in a much vaster context. the young girl had a mocking face words and tone, but was more serious and respectful after a while...maybe she had time to think...as she packed the bag. I don't know.
  • bananasandoranges
    another whinge
    oh and then on my way home a new cleaner from the same place called me. they offer the service of having he person come meet you first if you want but I find that excessive. I did want to ask 2 questions though. Where do you live (= how far). people who live very far are not very happy and much more likely to cancel last minute and more often, and to complain about distance - not a rule but a tenancy. AND have you been working long for this service. (if she has just started - that means she has maybe no experience etc. - I'm not up for that just at this moment).

She said, irritated - do you want a cleaner or not. you ask a lot of questions. I said calmly " I see that my questions are bothering you so I don't want to that. I wish you a good day." (or something like that). then about 20 or 30 min later she called back to apologise said she was at a clients or something (but she called me!). I said I had someone coming (true - the delivery guy) and we could speak at another time (probably not true).

I can't stand when I meet people 1st time and they are not basically courteous, minimally polite and respectful. I know everyone is not that way. and maybe many people are not always that way, but at present I don't have much space for people who are not minimally polite.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    edited September 2021
    Trying to get caught up

Makeup: don't wear any.
    Hair: au naturelle. (It could do with a trim. 😂
    Clothing: mostly Smart Casual or Workout gear. ( I dress to please myself.)
    Shoes: flats or very low heeled sandals

Lisa: <> ICU (((hugs)))
    Sue in WA: <> So sorry about your Mom.
    Michele: <> (((hugs))) I feel your frustration. It's no fun being out of commission. I hope the munchies aren't too bad.
    Carol: <> DH is into buying household cleaning gadgets. I let him use them. My floors are sparkling. 😂
    Rori: <> So lovely to see you posting again, and making new friends
    Allie: <> 👍🏻 1st SS payment

I've had an eventful couple of days. I had a prolapse four or five years ago and had a pessary fitted to stop the problem recurring. I've been waiting for a while for a checkup, as things are difficult because of Covid.

On Tuesday I got a phone call from the Pessary Clinic that they'd had a cancellation for Wednesday afternoon. I was delighted, and duly went to the clinic at the appointed time. (1 hour drive away, with several contra flows and diversions, but I made it in time)

It's usually a fairly easy procedure, but not this time. The clinic doctor was unable to remove the device as the wall of the womb has formed round the donut shape. I will need to go to the main hospital to have it dealt with. The staff looked after me well, but I think they were almost as shocked as I was as they had never seen this happen before.

Tea and much sympathy later I was fit to drive home, but NOT feeling my best as I have aches and pains from the prolonged attempt to complete the procedure before the doctor realised there was a problem.

I'll be taking it easy for a day or two while things settle.

I'm on page 51 but need to do some things. Hopefully back later.

☘️ Terri
  • bananasandoranges
    Terri - I'm so sorry.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    DH & I have now both had flu shots. It is good to have them done. We’re still planning to go to Virginia to take care of our grandson when our daughter in law has the new baby. I hope to give them a phone call to see how things are going. <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,343 Member
    Barbie - Hoping the tests were much more optimistic than Jake thinks. <3

Terri - That sounds truly awful. Thinking about you...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Trying to get caught up

Makeup: don't wear any.
    Hair: au naturelle. (It could do with a trim. 😂
    Clothing: mostly Smart Casual or Workout gear. ( I dress to please myself.)
    Shoes: flats or very low heeled sandals

Lisa: <> ICU (((hugs)))
    Sue in WA: <> So sorry about your Mom.
    Michele: <> (((hugs))) I feel your frustration. It's no fun being out of commission. I hope the munchies aren't too bad.
    Carol: <> DH is into buying household cleaning gadgets. I let him use them. My floors are sparkling. 😂
    Rori: <> So lovely to see you posting again, and making new friends
    Allie: <> 👍🏻 1st SS payment

I've had an eventful couple of days. I had a prolapse four or five years ago and had a pessary fitted to stop the problem recurring. I've been waiting for a while for a checkup, as things are difficult because of Covid.

On Tuesday I got a phone call from the Pessary Clinic that they'd had a cancellation for Wednesday afternoon. I was delighted, and duly went to the clinic at the appointed time. (1 hour drive away, with several contra flows and diversions, but I made it in time)

It's usually a fairly easy procedure, but not this time. The clinic doctor was unable to remove the device as the wall of the womb has formed round the donut shape. I will need to go to the main hospital to have it dealt with. The staff looked after me well, but I think they were almost as shocked as I was as they had never seen this happen before.

Tea and much sympathy later I was fit to drive home, but NOT feeling my best as I have aches and pains from the prolonged attempt to complete the procedure before the doctor realised there was a problem.

I'll be taking it easy for a day or two while things settle.

I'm on page 51 but need to do some things. Hopefully back later.

☘️ Terri

Ouch! Reminds me of biopsies I've had down there. :(
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited September 2021
    So sorry Terri. Ouch!

Lovely photo Tracey. <3

I did my first Mystery Diner report this lunchtime. It was a delivery from Pret a Manger. Bit of a fiddle faddle doing the report, but it can only get easier. The food and drink was fine and better than I expected! Arrived on time.
    I thought it would be good to start with something undemanding and I will see how my report is received. Then I will book a meal out. :)

Girlfriends Zoom this afternoon. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    oops meant to put last whinge in spoiler; unable to change it at present. I know how to but often that doesn't work and today when I go to another software it takes me to French - so I gave up;