September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Glad that you're cancer free @CarsonSurfs and that is a good pace for 10 miles.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @Tramboman Love the evolution of your wood cutting/splitting over the years. I'm trying to talk mom into another form of heat, which we may do next year. Maybe replace one of the heaters for an oil heater and keep the other for back up, in case the power goes out. We'll see. Glad you had a great run this morning.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Got an email from virtualrunner.com saying I haven't uploaded my 10K run for the Guinness World record attempt. But I did it that same day and it shows up in my portal. Tried to do it again today and it says No valid runs available??? WTF?
    Weird. Did you make sure what you uploaded had everything visible (distance, actual date - not "today" or "yesterday" on Strava, within their time frame for your time zone, etc)? I hope it's not too late and that you get counted!

@quilteryoyo I love how you still did your walk after all of that work. I'd be ready for a nap!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Got an email from virtualrunner.com saying I haven't uploaded my 10K run for the Guinness World record attempt. But I did it that same day and it shows up in my portal. Tried to do it again today and it says No valid runs available??? WTF?
    Weird. Did you make sure what you uploaded had everything visible (distance, actual date - not "today" or "yesterday" on Strava, within their time frame for your time zone, etc)? I hope it's not too late and that you get counted!

@quilteryoyo I love how you still did your walk after all of that work. I'd be ready for a nap!

I was ready for a nap after reading her post.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Tramboman Love the evolution of your wood cutting/splitting over the years. I'm trying to talk mom into another form of heat, which we may do next year. Maybe replace one of the heaters for an oil heater and keep the other for back up, in case the power goes out. We'll see. Glad you had a great run this morning.

Have you considered pellet stoves? We had one when we lived in PA and it worked well. And if you get a battery back up system for it, you never have to worry about power outages.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Oh no @Scott6255 hope you're able to sort it so that your run gets uploaded and counts towards the challenge.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    edited September 2021
    September Goal: 95 Miles

9/1: 4.05 miles
    9/2: 5.51 miles
    9/5: 7.51 miles
    9/7: 4.11 miles
    9/8: 4.31 miles
    9/9: 5.51 miles
    9/12: 9.11 miles
    9/14: 4.60 miles
    9/15: 4.12 miles
    9/16: 6.21 miles
    9/19: 8.32 miles
    9/21: 5.04 miles
    9/22: 4.75 miles
    9/23: 5.41 miles
    9/26: 9.51 miles

88.3/95  miles completed for September

Today's run was supposed to be 9 miles in 1 hr 29 min average pace 9:54. I ran 9.5 miles in 1 hr 50 minutes average pace 11:35. So much slower and a little longer than the plan. Hal still gave me 90%. I feel like the paces the app is giving me are off. 9:54 is pretty close to race pace for me and that was supposed to be a base run. And the notes warned against running the long runs too fast. I felt like the run was good though. The weather was nice and I didn't have any hip pain. I do think that I am holding back some because I am afraid to go all out and injure myself before the race. But I have always run my long runs slower than race pace.

I have a question.  I know @shanaber mentioned the Apple watch with fall detection and I thought maybe @rheddmobile had one for her mom. My sisters and I are thinking about getting one for our Mom after her fall a couple of weeks ago.  She does have an iPhone. On my Garmin the fall detection feature only works during a GPS activity if I have my phone with me. Is there an apple watch that works all the time, not just during exercise and do you have to have your phone with you for it to work? My mom is 77 years old and she's fairly tech savvy, but when it comes to a smart watch I think that simpler would be better. So do any of y'all have a good watch for your parent that has fall detection?

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    September Goal: 95 Miles

9/1: 4.05 miles
    9/2: 5.51 miles
    9/5: 7.51 miles
    9/7: 4.11 miles
    9/8: 4.31 miles
    9/9: 5.51 miles
    9/12: 9.11 miles
    9/14: 4.60 miles
    9/15: 4.12 miles
    9/16: 6.21 miles
    9/19: 8.32 miles
    9/21: 5.04 miles
    9/22: 4.75 miles
    9/23: 5.41 miles
    9/26: 9.51 miles

88.3/95  miles completed for September

Today's run was supposed to be 9 miles in 1 hr 29 min average pace 9:54. I ran 9.5 miles in 1 hr 50 minutes average pace 11:35. So much slower and a little longer than the plan. Hal still gave me 90%. I feel like the paces the app is giving me are off. 9:54 is pretty close to race pace for me and that was supposed to be a base run. And the notes warned against running the long runs too fast. I felt like the run was good though. The weather was nice and I didn't have any hip pain. I do think that I am holding back some because I am afraid to go all out and injure myself before the race. But I have always run my long runs slower than race pace.

I have a question.  I know @shanaber mentioned the Apple watch with fall detection and I thought maybe @rheddmobile had one for her mom. My sisters and I are thinking about getting one for our Mom after her fall a couple of weeks ago.  She does have an iPhone. On my Garmin the fall detection feature only works during a GPS activity if I have my phone with me. Is there an apple watch that works all the time, not just during exercise and do you have to have your phone with you for it to work? My mom is 77 years old and she's fairly tech savvy, but when it comes to a smart watch I think that simpler would be better. So do any of y'all have a good watch for your parent that has fall detection?

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon

According to my husband if you have a cellular capable Apple Watch with the account set up, you don’t need the phone with you for fall detection.

I found it didn’t work well for my mother because she was constantly doing things to the watch which somehow messed up fall detection - failing to charge it (Apple Watch has about a ten second battery life), storing her pen under her watch band, and so on. But if your mom’s cognition is up to speed but her balance isn’t, it may work better for her.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    Nice running @Scott6255 . I'm not to the point where I can say, "Oh. I went out for a nice, easy, 13.1 miles today." You and @AlphaHowls inspire me. Maybe I can at some point. Sorry you're having trouble entering your 10K. Is there someway to message the organizers?

@Tramboman and @polskagirl01 You are so funny. @Tramboman I didn't realize you could get a battery back up for them. I'll check into that. Thank you!

@CarsonSurfs Nice run and Happy Birthday to your step-daughter!

Nice run @sweetdaisy13 . Glad there was no knee pain and your barefoot shoes help you. I don't think I could run in them. If I don't have the right support, my knees kill me.

@RunsOnEspresso Sorry you didn't get to run in the rain. Nice running though.

@kgirlhart You are doing great. I agree that Hal seems to be asking you to run pretty fast. I tend to feel that long training runs should be slower, but maybe that's because I love the 80/20 method. I can't help you with the watch, but am interested to see what others say. I hadn't really thought about it, but may be something we need to get to mom at some point. I'm so happy to see that you saw Sunny today!

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    I did email the virtualrunners.org and they said to email them the screenshot. The reply I got back after sending it was "due to the currently very high volume of service requests, answers can unfortunately take up to 72 hours".
    So I guess I'll just wait and see.