Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So a friend of mine's son went to Hawaii for a party with his friends (he's 30 something) a week or so ago. Almost everyone at the party was vaccinated. He told her his friends who had Pfizer got sick with covid, and everyone who had Moderna did not. I believe he was vaccinated back in March/April time frame with Pfizer. He was ill but did not need to be hospitalized. He did not say anything about unvaccinated kids.

My unscientific personal knowledge about breakthroughs have all been Pfizer, and I was leaning towards that more were vaccinated with it as a reason. Maybe not. So far personal experience I have not heard of a breakthrough on the J&J or Moderna.

Here's another anecdote - when my partner's brother's 2 year old unvaccinated grandson got everyone sick, between all of them, they had taken all three brands available - Pfizer, J&J and Moderna.

Was anyone hospitalized?

The cases that we have here are mostly Delta, but hospitalizations and intensive care for COVID are way down.

No, thanks, I edited my post to add that no one needed to be hospitalized.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Adding a comment about internet and drug reaction information. It relates to my 84 year old mother. She has been dealing with pain and anxiety issues and her PCP prescribed her a med which is known to help with both. I attended the appointment so am fully aware of discussion. PCP put her on very low initial dose to monitor adverse reactions and see if beneficial. At one month, mom had followup telemedicine, which I attended again. At this time, my mother started talking about all the terrible side effects she read about. PCP asked about how she was feeling and verified no side effects were happening, and only positive improvements were evident. PCP explained this to my mom and pointed out that she was not having adverse affects and that the reason for the initial low dose was so that any adverse effects, if any, would be smaller. Roughly a week ago (almost 3 months on the medication), my mother talked to me again about all the terrible side effects she read about, and how she needs to talk to the doctor about it. I told her that she already had and explained the whole conversation again. As an outsider looking in, her shaking has stopped and her normal personality is returning but all she can think about is the list of possible side effects she read about on the internet.

@SModa61: does this happen to be Cymbalta? I've been prescribed this recently, am waiting for it to arrive in the mail, and meanwhile am wondering about all the side effects I've read about :lol:

I haven't been able to take the last two anti-anxiety meds so my doctor is starting me on a very low dose - 20 mg. And, funny story, my soon to be 84 yo mother has recently been switched to Cymbalta for pain (and depression) and she is getting 30 mg.

@kshama2001 OMG you guessed the exact med! I think her initial dose was 10 mg and if I recall correctly, she is now 10 mg twice a day. I hope you and your mother both benefit from the medication!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited September 2021
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Not everyone uses the media. I informed someone about to take a longer road trip that there were pressures on the fuel system caused by a shortage of drivers not poor fuel levels and he had not heard. People filling up is happening, so petrol stations are out of fuel till their next delivery arrives.

I observed a stream of traffic going to one supermarket yesterday which was out of fuel till they get a delivery. At a service station near a traffic light controlled crossing cars were backing up to the lights and others were trying to cross lanes. Then at the nearest supermarket it was impossible to get into the carpark for food, for the line of vehicles going to the pumps. Its outrageous. Given a week I would hope those who actually use less fuel will not be filling up again leaving more for more responsible persons.

???

In the UK we have a shortage of fuel (petrol/diesel) caused by shortage of long haul lorry drivers. People here are behaving like they did with toilet rolls back at the beginning of the pandemic. Queuing up to squeeze a tiny bit in their tanks to keep them full, causing long tailbacks and blocking roads and entrances. Luckily I already filled up last week and if I’m careful what I have will last me 2-3 weeks when hopefully people have calmed down.

Time for electric cars!

Just charge them up at home.

I've been driving electric for two years now. I don't miss the gas station stops in the freezing cold, or everytime I'm already late. lol

The US doesn't have the raw materials needed for batteries. Also poor chip supplies. Electric cars use 10X the number of chips conventional vehicles do.

Electric vehicles are a novelty unit these issues are addressed.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Not everyone uses the media. I informed someone about to take a longer road trip that there were pressures on the fuel system caused by a shortage of drivers not poor fuel levels and he had not heard. People filling up is happening, so petrol stations are out of fuel till their next delivery arrives.

I observed a stream of traffic going to one supermarket yesterday which was out of fuel till they get a delivery. At a service station near a traffic light controlled crossing cars were backing up to the lights and others were trying to cross lanes. Then at the nearest supermarket it was impossible to get into the carpark for food, for the line of vehicles going to the pumps. Its outrageous. Given a week I would hope those who actually use less fuel will not be filling up again leaving more for more responsible persons.

???

In the UK we have a shortage of fuel (petrol/diesel) caused by shortage of long haul lorry drivers. People here are behaving like they did with toilet rolls back at the beginning of the pandemic. Queuing up to squeeze a tiny bit in their tanks to keep them full, causing long tailbacks and blocking roads and entrances. Luckily I already filled up last week and if I’m careful what I have will last me 2-3 weeks when hopefully people have calmed down.

Time for electric cars!

I've been driving electric for two years now. I don't miss the gas station stops in the freezing cold, or everytime I'm already late. lol

The US doesn't have the raw materials needed for batteries. Also poor chip supplies. Electric cars use 10X the number of chips conventional vehicles do.

Tesla has figured out how to take old chips, reprogram them, and use in new vehicles. Elon Musk shared this in August as the explanation why Tesla has not been affected by the chip shortage as other vehicle manufacturers have been. So in reality, the chip supply is more relevant to traditional gas vehicles made by major automotive manufacturers and not electric Tesla vehicles. Obviously any electric cars made by other manufacturers will be affected by the chip shortage just like gas cars.
  • kshama2001

This made the news on public radio here in the US tonight. (And likely other nights - I mostly listen in my car, and am not in my car most days and don't always listen to the news when I am.)

When I got home first I told my partner that I'd forgotten to leave some "lovely filth" at Mom's (compost; a reference to a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail) and then I told him about the fuel issues story, and he immediately started reciting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2c-X8HiBng
  • kshama2001
    COGypsy wrote: »

???

Time for electric cars!

And infrastructure. The only charging station I've ever seen in my life is at my doctor's office. I live in an old neighborhood near downtown in a pretty large city. Whether you're in a house or an apartment, it's not likely you have a garage to put a charging outlet in. I can't think of anyone I know in the neighborhood that even has a garage, much less one you could park a modern car in. It's all street parking and you'd need one heck of an extension cord to charge a car! Electric cars are intriguing, but not enough to banish myself to outer suburbia where I'd have the space to plug it in :D

Last week, I noticed a charging station for the first time in our soon to be new town. My partner said there is also a station at the hospital in our soon to be old city.

I googled "charging stations near me" and see there are actually a lot - I'd just never noticed.

I don't know how this work - do you have to leave your car on the charger for hours? I guess the hospital is a good location for this. Maybe they should put them at libraries.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

???

Time for electric cars!

And infrastructure. The only charging station I've ever seen in my life is at my doctor's office. I live in an old neighborhood near downtown in a pretty large city. Whether you're in a house or an apartment, it's not likely you have a garage to put a charging outlet in. I can't think of anyone I know in the neighborhood that even has a garage, much less one you could park a modern car in. It's all street parking and you'd need one heck of an extension cord to charge a car! Electric cars are intriguing, but not enough to banish myself to outer suburbia where I'd have the space to plug it in :D

Last week, I noticed a charging station for the first time in our soon to be new town. My partner said there is also a station at the hospital in our soon to be old city.

I googled "charging stations near me" and see there are actually a lot - I'd just never noticed.

I don't know how this work - do you have to leave your car on the charger for hours? I guess the hospital is a good location for this. Maybe they should put them at libraries.

Here they talk about "super charging" which would get you a charge in less time. I really don't know how it works though. We're still just beginning. However, Rome is to go electric in the future--there is a plan. :D
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    On the topic of electric cars, due to the time required to charge a vehicle, I can’t comprehend how charging would be handled for residents of large apartment/condo buildings.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited September 2021

???

Time for electric cars!

There's a surprising amount in the US: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30031153/ev-charging-guide/

Apparently as of March 2020, there were 1,645 in the Chicago metro area (where I live), and there are more now. I figured there had to be plenty although I haven't personally noticed them, since I see plenty of electric cars. We are only the 5th ranked metro area in number of chargers.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited September 2021

???

Time for electric cars!

Apparently the fast chargers will charge to 80% in 30 minutes. Most people do it at home, however -- the site I linked above says 80% of charging is at home and a decent amount is at work.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

???

Time for electric cars!

There's a surprising amount in the US: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30031153/ev-charging-guide/

Apparently as of March 2020, there were 1,645 in the Chicago metro area (where I live), and there are more now. I figured there had to be plenty although I haven't personally noticed them, since I see plenty of electric cars. We are only the 5th ranked metro area in number of chargers.

There are 1.7M vehicles registered in Cook County, which isn't all of the Chicago metro area. There is a lot of expensive work needed be for EVs could even be a consideration for a small part of the registered vehicles.