Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Great news on the pain free deadlifts
    Especially after 2 years, are you going to persevere with the dl now it’s not causing any pain ?

I plan to slowly increase. Even on that set, it was supposed to be for four sets. I deloaded after 2 because i felt a little out of place on the third lift, even after the rest.

Overall, my plan is to repeat the program and still focus on recovery/prevention.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Welp, September was looking pretty solid but that’s an inflection point if I’ve ever seen one. My adherence has been dreadful, my sleep is poor, and I’ve been fighting off a seasonal-allergy-induced mild sinus infection. The data says my TDEE also finally started to dip at the beginning of the month so I think I’ll steer into the skid like last year and transition to a bulk.

wv28cfrjadjh.png
    2r2elovrfi8r.png
  • korzaKRS16
    korzaKRS16 Posts: 14 Member
    hi there, yup i began my bulk journey slowly over a 3 to 4 year period from 5"11 70kg kickboxing coach/fighter to a 98kg powerlifter.....im starting to cut and lean as of last week but yeah i think i just need to cut down on carb more and add protein a bit aswell as do more german volume workouts and combine supersets. but yeah im just starting so best of luck.add me if ya like,have an awesome day
  • psuLemon
    Tomorrow will be my last day of the AthleanX BEAXST program. Overall, i love the set up of the program with one exception. It didn't have as much bench as I would have liked and had a greater focus on OHP. With that said, i never got bored of the program and only had minor back issues throughout the whole program. My biggest lifts were 305x5 DL, 235x6 Bench, 255x6 squat and 125x3 OHP. While those numbers are ok, it was thr first time in 2 years i DL or squated. And with very little back pain.

I am going to take a little break, because i have work and personal travel a lot the next 6-8 weeks and then plan to run another program. And then go back to thia program on the harder level.

Overall, i would recommend this.

Weight has been trending well. I have increased my calories another 200 to help give a little more energy and slow down weight loss to help with muscle gains/sustainment. I do run 1-1.2g/lb of protein and have increased carbs to over 200g from 50g.

hlatg3dko6v7.jpg
  • So I gained 12 pounds in 6 months. I’m going to try and drop 5 of those pounds by Mid December then have a diet break for 2 or 3 weeks. Clothes are getting a bit tight d so I’m hanging out in lounge wear mainly.
  • steveko89
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It didn't have as much bench as I would have liked...

How much is not as much as you'd have liked? Your overall review of this program has me intrigued but that comment doesn't excite me.
  • psuLemon
    steveko89 wrote: »
    It didn't have as much bench as I would have liked...

How much is not as much as you'd have liked? Your overall review of this program has me intrigued but that comment doesn't excite me.

So of the 36 full body workouts, i did traditional bench 7 times and close grip 3 times, plus other non dumbbell bench.

It's definitely more athletic training, where reps and sets are heavily variable. So everything from 3 sets of 4-6 to reps of 16 and sets of 6. Definitely a non traditional format.

But like i noted, i still saw strength gains and body improvement, which matters more for me currently.
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    37 yo male. 6ft tall. Gone from 10 stone 8 to 11 stone 10 since February. However my waist is now 35 36 inches. Thinking of doin a 4 week aggressive mini cut then smashing the bulk till march april time. Thoughts?
  • steveko89
    37 yo male. 6ft tall. Gone from 10 stone 8 to 11 stone 10 since February. However my waist is now 35 36 inches. Thinking of doin a 4 week aggressive mini cut then smashing the bulk till march april time. Thoughts?

I'm not well-versed on mini-cuts but Dr. Mike has a video on them you might find useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDGwP0v-rE
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

I'm not well-versed on mini-cuts but Dr. Mike has a video on them you might find useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDGwP0v-rE

we love dr. mike
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Absolutely amazing info. Thanks so much guys
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Welcome me back! a repost from the other forum:

Hi, everyone! Hope you all are excited for the holidays! Unfortunately, my "bulk" got out of control. I have gained 10 lbs this year, which is a decent rate, but the last 5 lbs have been due to travel and lack of exercise this past month. I am taking this time to cut, using a very, small deficit. I probably will not worry about cutting on actual holidays, but I have promised myself no more vacations/work travel for the next 2-3 months so I can get my nutrition and training under control.

Cheers.
  • psuLemon

Hi, everyone! Hope you all are excited for the holidays! Unfortunately, my "bulk" got out of control. I have gained 10 lbs this year, which is a decent rate, but the last 5 lbs have been due to travel and lack of exercise this past month. I am taking this time to cut, using a very, small deficit. I probably will not worry about cutting on actual holidays, but I have promised myself no more vacations/work travel for the next 2-3 months so I can get my nutrition and training under control.

Cheers.

I completely understand. Work and personal travel has prevented me from hitting my physique goals this year
  • alexandramosenson

Cheers.

I completely understand. Work and personal travel has prevented me from hitting my physique goals this year

I am not even sure it was worth it career wise. vacation wise for sure. I haven’t had the winter flux in so long. I have no clue how long to cut for, maybe just until mid Dec, 4 weeks? xbi8qa21k5ts.jpeg
  • psuLemon

Cheers.

I am not even sure it was worth it career wise. vacation wise for sure. I haven’t had the winter flux in so long. I have no clue how long to cut for, maybe just until mid Dec, 4 weeks? xbi8qa21k5ts.jpeg

What i am going to attempt to do it cut up until Christmas eve.
  • alexandramosenson

Cheers.

I’m in for that. I can only count maybe 5-6 meals between now and then that will be off plan.
  • psuLemon

Cheers.

I’m in for that. I can only count maybe 5-6 meals between now and then that will be off plan.

Yea, i am about the same due to work travel
  • steveko89
    I’ll be cutting once I finish up a maintenance phase following that 8 week bulk. However I’m down 1.5 lbs on trend in two weeks “at maintenance”. It’s been a little harder and required a higher intake than I anticipated to maintain like this.
  • psuLemon
    Several weeks of seeing weight gain has my debating going back to keto to control my cravings!

I am at 170 again which has been several years since i was previously at that weight.

It has not helped that I have dealt with a lot of work issues, long hours and travel. Damn you margaritas!!
  • alexandramosenson
    Several weeks of seeing weight gain has my debating going back to keto to control my cravings!

I am at 170 again which has been several years since i was previously at that weight.

It has not helped that I have dealt with a lot of work issues, long hours and travel. Damn you margaritas!!

I bet you like different now at 170 then a few years ago at 170 though!

But Same here. I decided to just maintain what I am at right now. I am not UNhappy with where I am. But I want to be. I am strong and fit and heck even took my shirt off at the gym the other day.