What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Finally got a run in 3.25 miles. Was down and out due to congestion and allergies last week.. Evening is badminton!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    IM Chattanooga done. Current made for a fast swim, rode a very controlled bike by following my power meter numbers. Beautiful bike course, which at 116 miles is 4 miles longer than the normal distance. I felt fairly strong after the controlled bike ride. Run was hilly and tough.
    After the bike split, I saw a friend who was suffering both stomach distress and light headed ness after the bike.
    We started the run course together as he tried to take in calories and electrolytes (chicken broth, coke, pretzels, etc) but nothing worked. I thought we were headed to the medical tent, but he kept going. At the halfway point, his wife gave him a pep talk and I told him we’d finish together. He suffered but fought through it and we finished together.

Now riding back home and wearing normatec recovery boots. Hoping I’ll be able to climb the hotel stairs tonight. :)

Off season plan will be a return to the gym and no endurance stuff for awhile.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Congrats on that accomplishment, @Djproulx !!!

Today's ride - 17.82 miles @ 13.7 mph average, 78 minutes total.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    IM Chattanooga done. Current made for a fast swim, rode a very controlled bike by following my power meter numbers. Beautiful bike course, which at 116 miles is 4 miles longer than the normal distance. I felt fairly strong after the controlled bike ride. Run was hilly and tough.
    After the bike split, I saw a friend who was suffering both stomach distress and light headed ness after the bike.
    We started the run course together as he tried to take in calories and electrolytes (chicken broth, coke, pretzels, etc) but nothing worked. I thought we were headed to the medical tent, but he kept going. At the halfway point, his wife gave him a pep talk and I told him we’d finish together. He suffered but fought through it and we finished together.

Now riding back home and wearing normatec recovery boots. Hoping I’ll be able to climb the hotel stairs tonight. :)

Congratulations! I hope your hip didn't give you trouble . . . at least not too much?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @Djproulx -- Congrats on completing it and helping your friend too! That must have been hell on your friend. Amazing that he finished. What a good friend he has in you as well! Hope you're feeling OK today. I'm sure very, very sore.

One hour today -- easier stuff. 30 minutes on rower, then 30 on Assault Bike.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    edited September 2021
    A run on the treadmill to get rid of excess nervous energy after my first day at work, after 3 weeks of being on holiday.
    3.3km @ 8kph (24min50).
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Treadmill (37min walk) and Day 16 EPIC I (Back and Bicep Dumbbell Workout)
  • AnnPT77
    7137m rowing bow in the quad this AM, a bit windy but we had rowers to put out a quad plus a double, no singles, so it worked out well. After that, 5.17mi walk. 3.2mph moving average. No deer this time, but a very cute li'l garter snake, only about 8" long.

Wandered around a good bit at the river while theoretically supervising open rowing tonight (no rowers showed up, but I had to stay for a while, did some ambling as well as reading jewelry magazines 😆). I'm at about 18k steps, including the earlier walk, so far . . . which is not bad, for a non-steps-y person.

Also visited my osteopath today, so am hopeful some knee/hip stuff may improve, once I get past the post-treatment just-worked-out feeling. (He does nothing even remotely violent/vigorous. I have no idea why it feels later like I've worked out, nor why things mysteriously improve after that settles. Not going to over-question a happy mystery, analytic though I usually am!)

Supposed to take my rowing-naive former massage therapist out in the double tomorrow for a rowing sample. That should be fun, for some values of "fun". 😉 Hoping his feet fit in the boat's shoes. (Yes, the boats have shoes attached. It's a weird sport.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Congratulations! I hope your hip didn't give you trouble . . . at least not too much?
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks. While everything hurts during the second half of the marathon, my hip wasn’t an issue since I didn’t push too hard.

I’m descending stairs backwards today, but hope my quads and hamstrings will allow forward movement tomorrow. 😂

Glad to hear that worked out OK: That would be a lot of distance to manage an extra-twinge-y body part. Maintaining pace is a great thing, hard under race conditions. (Adrenaline: Such a fun drug!) Nice work! Hope things improve fast.

Nice of you to support your friend, too - I'm sure it was a meaningful help to him.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    Sunday
    I did an hour's yoga in the morning, and a brief kettle bell session just after lunch. (100 swings and 15 goblet squats with a 24 kgs bell). I then played with my hangboard a little. Finally, I did an evening walk, ending on just over 21,000 steps.

Monday
    Day off, just getting 14,00 steps.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    Did a 4 X 2K rowing workout today w/ 3:30 rest in between. Not a ton of rest for that hard of a row. Also on a slightly higher DF that I'm used to (used 118 on two and 130 on the other two). Averaged 2:10.4 for the four.

HR hit 90% of max on the 1st interval, then 92%, 94% and 95% on the last. But at no point did I really feel like quitting, just had to adjust the rate a bit to keep going. That's a good sign when you can think and adjust at that HR and not panic.

My goal for this year was just close the gap between my old indoor rowing paces and where I've been since my disc injury. I was hoping to get under 10 seconds off from my old paces. I used to do this workout at around a 1:57 pace average, but that was with 5 minutes rest. If I can get sub 2:07 on this by year's end, I'll be very happy. I think I'm closing the gap a bit finally.

Strength work at the gym tonight.
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,758 Member
    Today ✅
    8” planks, standing
    30” walking, in my neighborhood

👍 Oregon fall colors are fantastic
  • ccrdragon
    Today is a rest day, but did 60 pushups and 40 lunges just to stay active
  • AnnPT77
    No real workout, but I took my former massage therapist out in the rowing double to give him a sample of on-water rowing, which he'd never done. He's got about 10" of height and 90lbs of weight on me, so we're not exactly natural double partners. 😆

I did a little demo of the basic stroke cycle on a rowing machine, walked him through doing it himself. Then there was a brief land demo of bladework. Next, with detailed explanation, we got the double out of racks into slings so we could adjust the boat for his size vs. my usual double partner, and carried it down to the water. After we got in the boat (took more explaining!), he mostly rowed, though we repeatedly veered out of our lane (beginners don't row straight!) so I'd take over rowing to get us back where we belonged in our lane on the river, then he'd row again. An hour or so of that, then we took the boat back in & put it away.

Not really a workout for me, but it was a little activity, and it's always fun to give a new person a taste of on-water rowing.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Recovery this week. Walking is manageable, stair climbing is slow. Deep tissue massage tomorrow should help.
    Realizing I suddenly have lots of time to catch up on house and yard chores.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    7-8 am:
    Warm-Up
    Jumprope - 60s on 15s off x 5r (5m)

Strength: E5MOM
    Pull-up - 4x8r (32r)
    RDL - 2x25lbs kettlebell - 4x15r (60r)
    Straight Arm Pull Over - Bands - 2x15r (30r)

Conditioning
    Elliptical - 1&1/4 miles (10m)
  • ccrdragon
    Back on the bike this morning, 17.82 miles @ 14.0 mph average, 76 minute ride. My first 14 mph average ride of the season! Not too shabby on a mountain bike converted into a hybrid.

Will be doing upper body stuff thru the day as well.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Got my 10K in for September with one day to spare and in the rain to boot... Was a lot of fun!