AIR FRYERS

Options
2»

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What can you make in an air fryer that you can't make in a standard convection oven? I've been so confused by this. It seems like it limits the amount of stuff you can cook at one time too since it seems like the items need to be in a single layer, and they're kind of small. What am I missing? I want to want one, but I can't get my head around them. Couldn't I make the yummy sounding wedge potatoes above in my kitchen oven I already own?
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have an original one that uses a tsp of oil. Love it.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    What can you make in an air fryer that you can't make in a standard convection oven? I've been so confused by this. It seems like it limits the amount of stuff you can cook at one time too since it seems like the items need to be in a single layer, and they're kind of small. What am I missing? I want to want one, but I can't get my head around them. Couldn't I make the yummy sounding wedge potatoes above in my kitchen oven I already own?
    Of course you could. BUT if you live in one of these hot states ie houston, tx you avoid the oven like the plague because why cook if you have to then cool down your house?

I have the ninja foodi air fryer oven: it air fries, bakes, air roasts etc. I now use my oven for pot storage (only thing it was ever any good at anyway) and am never afraid to heat up the whole house just because I want some baked chicken, or okra, or air fried fish and shrimp. I would probably do potatoes but the hubby is diabetic. You can choose the amount of oil you use, but it is way less than frying and there is no kitchen mess spatter. Thanks for the tips on bacon, I will try that! I use mine daily especially for meat and veggies, and sometimes twice a day. I have also baked keto cake and keto brownies - they turned out fabulous and again, didn't force me to have to cool down the house after baking. Good luck!

• Miz_Owl
    Miz_Owl Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options

I find that my air fryer cooks faster than my oven .
    That's why I use it daily .
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Beyond the fact that my stove and oven are basically storage facilities at this point, my air fryer is a great size for cooking for one, doesn't need to pre-heat, cooks things MUCH faster, doesn't heat up the whole house, can do anything from air fry to toast to bake to broil with the flip of a switch, and is significantly easier to clean. It's pretty much the anti-oven, haha! My new goal is to master poaching eggs in the microwave and once I can do that, I doubt I'll need to use the range top or regular oven much at all.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    @COGypsy
    I poach eggs in the microwave in a small bowl. I heat up a few tablespoons of water first for a minute, then drop in the egg and microwave on high for 30 seconds.

That said, microwave poach eggs are not quite as good as done on the range, because the microwave cooks high fat materials faster than low fat. Thus I have never been able to get a truly runny yolk if the whites are solid.

This same feature of microwave cooking makes it excelent for doing streaky bacon. Just be sure to place a paper towel over the bacon to catch splatters.
  • becciquinn05
    becciquinn05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do you make airfried avocado COGypsy?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    How do you make airfried avocado COGypsy?

It's pretty simple. Slice an avocado--the firmer the better for this. Dust in flour, dip in egg, and then in seasoned panko crumbs. I usually toast the panko first, otherwise it doesn't brown in the air fryer and looks a little....sad. I have one of the toaster oven type air fryers and usually need a lower heat than some of the others, but on my toaster oven they cook for 5-7 minutes on about 325. All you're doing is cooking the egg and panko, so as soon as that's crunchy feeling when you poke it, it's done. They're delicious as is, but I use them to make tacos. A little labor intensive, but tasty!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    When I air fry items covered in panko such as arancini made from leftover risotto, I like to use oily breadcrumbs. Mix the bread crumbs with a little oil and roll the arancini in flour, egg and and oily panko. They brown well this way. Much easier than trying to spray the the finished arancini with oil.