Non-Plus Sized Clothing

Hey, folks who’ve achieved their goals!

I’ve been wearing plus sized clothes for several years now, but I should hopefully be out of the plus size category within the next few months if my steady weight loss continues. I want to browse clothes to give me something to look forward to, but I don’t know where to look! Where do you get non-plus sized clothes for women nowadays? Bonus points if it’s something I can peruse online to motivate myself.

Also, what’s even in style now? I feel like such an out-of-date millennial. Help! 😅

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I hate shopping, so I did Amazon for plus size, and I still do Amazon for regular size. I'm afraid I can't be of much help here.
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited September 2021
    I googled ideas for my age and body type

Now I’m enjoying skinny jeans, ankle high boots, waist high tops, and more colors

I’m a Macy’s fan and relentlessly shopped their summer close out sales

Have fun ✅
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    The thrift store for inbetween sizes and Boden on line for when you hit goal
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 146 Member
    I guess it depends on where you live? I could tell you loads of places in the UK, not really anywhere else :D age & budget dependent, also.

If you have Pinterest, I suggest looking on there for outfit ideas like "outfits for women in thirties" etc.

Congratulations on the weight loss so far, you must feel fantastic!
  • wornoutmamabear
    wornoutmamabear Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you so much, everyone!! I know a couple of people asked—I’m in the U.S., and I’m in my early 30s. 😊

I will definitely be thrifting some cute stuff soon for my “in-between” stage!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,340 Member
    Don’t go hog wild. I did, and regretted it. I was out of plus sized and into XL for what seemed like the blink of an eye. I wasted a lot of money because I thought I couldn’t possibly get any smaller.

The second wardrobe I only got a few pair of stretchy pants and made do with the too big tops I had.

The third wardrobe I again thought I couldn’t possibly get smaller. Went shopping with a friend who gave fashion advice because I had no idea where to start.

Am currently in my fourth wardrobe and been weeding out things- without losing additional weight, in fact, added some back on purpose- that have still become too large.

Your body continues shifting even at goal.

Interesting, happy for the great results, but tough on the old credit card, and makes ordering clothes online a lottery.

@janvcooper i just found the Boden website by accident the other day and placed a trial order to check sizes. The order just came in this morning and I’m petrified they won’t fit because the return address is Australia?! I didn’t see any mention of that in their return policy or I wouldn’t have ordered. But their dresses are gorgeous.

Some Macy’s have a “Basement” that has some killer deals. Our local one sells high end name brand leggings under $20.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    IN my weight loss journey, goodwill was my friend. I would buy just enough to get me through. store donate stuff so I could fine decent items. Old navy has a great clearence section. Jeans for under 5 bucks. I lost 100 pounds and didnt want to buy all the things I needed until i was at or very near goal.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    If you just want a site to browse, I am a big fan of Venus. I'm not very style-conscious, but I've bought several items from them and was generally quite pleased.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I shop jc penney’s and Target online. But recommend going into a store and trying on different brands to get an idea of which fit and flatter. Make sure return policies are easy for you if you don’t like the item.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I'd recommend setting up a Stitchfix account. After making the account you can browse outfits which will give you great ideas for what's in fashion, goes together, and matches your lifestyle and personal likes. Depending what's affordable for you, you can put together similar outfits from stores at all price points (including actually buying from Stitchfix whose clothing runs about $40- $100 per item). But, it's not hard to create similar outfits using Target, Walmart, Old Navy, Kohl's, JCPenney, TJ Maxx, etc.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 486 Member
    I had good luck with Chicos although there clothes have a lot of stretch in them and can easily get stretched out. I'll second what @springlering62 wrote about not going "hog wild." This last time I lost weight (and it is the last time!). I bought too much; e.g., in spring of 2013 I bought a lot of size 14's & by the time I wanted to wear them I was a size 12. Since I was actively losing I'd have been better to have bought a few bottoms and more tops (those seemed to be easier to adapt as a lost weight). And consignment shops would have been a good option.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Big fan of Talbots, Chico's and Anne Taylor here. Alfani and Style & Co. are a little friendlier on the pocketbook.

I will echo the advice to go slow. Your body shape may change from what you've been used to. I was always a curvy gal with large hips and thighs. Once I started working out regularly and lost weight, my hips and thighs narrowed. Those size 16's and 14's I'd long saved no longer fit my new shape.

During 2020, I wasn't venturing out to any stores - thrift or retail - so I ordered a few pairs of pants online. I had decent luck with Tried & Tru pants from Walmart. They didn't cost much, fell nicely on my body and had enough stretch to span a few sizes. When I shrunk out of them, I felt as if I'd gotten my money's worth.

• andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    You might try Stitch Fix. you put in your size and "themes" of what you like and they send you a box with about 5 items. What I love about it is they also send a card with photos of different ways to wear the items. You will know you have on trend items that fit. I still use it as a treat on my birthday - really cool concept.