Swimming in the COVID era

emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hi all. Wondering how everyone is getting on with their swimming in these crazy times! Here in New Zealand, where I am came out of lockdown five days ago, after three weeks of pool closure. We have been relatively fortunate here, whereas our main city (Auckland) remains locked down. Most of the pool events have been cancelled this year, at this stage I am just training for mileage (have a goal of 1000000m for 2021) and hopefully competing in the Australasian Police and Emergency Services Games in March (virus permitting).

How is everyone else adapting - if you haven't been able to swim, what are you doing instead?

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Uk swimming open since aug 1st.
    Pool is still a lot quieter than b4 covid.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Our pool closed in March 2019. It reopened in June 2021. There are other pools that remained open, but I didn't join. I had my first swim last week. Slow... it was a slog. It felt great to be in the water again, but wow. Lanes were the usual, but who's to say? When I go, there are 2 out of 6 available, and there were three people swimming, so not too bad, but also not different than pre-Covid. I did notice that during my water fitness class, the remaining lanes were not busy. They were usually pretty steady, although not hard to get a lane.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    edited September 2021
    Western Washington State, United States. The YMCA swimming pool is open for lap swimming and not just 45 minute sessions, which were imposed when the facility first opened after complete lockdown. Nonetheless my swimming sessions haven't exceeded 50 minutes. I guess I've been trained.
    For me, the quality of the swim is more important than the quantity. If I work on my technique, speed follows, or at least in theory. I've been swimming half of my freestyle with a snorkel; without the snorkel I swam 25 yd in 18 strokes. With the snorkel, I swam 25 in 16 strokes.

I feel totally spoiled. Some people can't even get into the pool. Here I am, analyzing my technique.

Cheers, everyone!

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    My pool has every other lane closed. You have to sign up for lanes.