Weight fluctuations

For the most part I am staying within the calories it is showing allowed for any given day to meet my goal. I am always at a deficit and trying to adjust my eating to get closer to that number (usually at least 500 short). What I am finding though is that on days I exercise, the next day I will be up 1-2 pounds. For example I was 175.2 yesterday morning, worked out and swam for 40 minutes yesterday and did a lot of walking. This morning I am 176.4. Is that normal ?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Very normal.

Last weekend I went on a very long (semi-spirited) motorcycle ride for about 400 miles, most of which was on twisty mountain roads. I haven't done anywhere near my normal summer riding this year, so I am very out of condition for that activity.

Everything hurt for about 3 days lol. I jumped up about 4 pounds, and then a pound down from that, then another, and back to "normal" yesterday and today.

Even normally I'll fluctuate 1-2 pounds some days.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Totally normal.

Try not to relate your weight to what you did the day before. I tracked my weight loss diligently for 4 years and I noticed quite clearly that my weight reflected what I was doing and eating, but only 2 weeks later.

So if I over are, the scale would stay put and I would think I "got away with it" and then I would go back to lower calories and my weight would jump up two weeks later.

Likewise with losses, I would have a consistently low calorie week and the scale wouldn't move, and then suddenly two weeks later, it would drop.

It took me two years of recording data to even be able to see this pattern. It's different for everyone, but my point is to not get hung up on what the scale is doing any given day in relation to any particular day of eating or activity.

Watch the patterns over longer stretches of time. Look back over a month and see what your weight did compared to how you ate that month, not the few days before.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Getting too detailed about it day to day will make you crazy.

Before I understood the delay I had, the scale seemed irrational and the frustration would trigger binges. Once I grasped the longer timelines, the patience made it easy. All I had to do was trust and wait.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Thanks for the great information ! It hasn't changed anything I am doing but it does get a little discouraging. After starting at one of my highest weights I am trying to make this change to not only better my health for the long term, but to boost my immune system and get ready for surgery. What you all are saying makes perfect sense and I appreciate the time you took to explain it to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    plattef71 wrote: »
    For the most part I am staying within the calories it is showing allowed for any given day to meet my goal. I am always at a deficit and trying to adjust my eating to get closer to that number (usually at least 500 short). What I am finding though is that on days I exercise, the next day I will be up 1-2 pounds. For example I was 175.2 yesterday morning, worked out and swam for 40 minutes yesterday and did a lot of walking. This morning I am 176.4. Is that normal ?

Yes. Exercise causes inflammation which in turn causes fluid retention to aid in repair and recovery.

Fluctuations in general are completely normal. Bodyweight isn't a static thing. Your body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water and that will always be variable for numerous reasons. You will also always have varying degrees of inherent waste in your system, which has mass and thus weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    How I deal with the fluctuations, which would otherwise dishearten me, is to weigh every day, log this into Happy Scale (iphone; Libra for Android), and look at the trends. Some weeks or months the trend isn't great, but my yearly graph is all green.