WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
edited October 2021 in Motivation and Support

jyodbzanyx97.jpg
:) Seasons are changing in October. Autumn is emerging in the Northern Hemisphere and spring is showing up in the Southern Hemisphere. Change in the seasons can inspire changes in health and fitness routines. I hope all of ours can be changes for the better.

:) My journey to health and fitness has been successful in large part to the support I've gotten from the women on the "Women Ages 50+" thread. Thank you to all of you who have supported and encouraged me and welcome to all who are joining us for the first time.

:) Don't forget to bookmark this page so you can find it again.

:) Be sure to sign your post with a name or a nickname and a geographical reference so we know where you are.

My word for 2021 is "lighten up"---both in weight and in approach to life

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2021
    Happy October! Thank you for the new month, Barbie! :heart:

Katla in Halloween Town
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited October 2021
    October Calendars

If you're interested in following some ideas each day in October for "Optimistic October" or "Mental Health Month". :)

This month's theme: Optimistic October
    Especially when things are feeling a bit tough, it can help to set some goals. Making goals achievable and ensuring that you have a few short term as well as longer term, more ambitious goals helps us feel we're making progress. It doesn't matter if your goal for the day is something really small, the important thing is to give yourself the opportunity to feel like you've achieved something and to celebrate that! This month's calendar is full of ideas to help you think about how you can put this into practice.

v23pnzmuz924.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/october

Mental Health Month: October
    doffox9m4kte.png
    https://lookafteryourmentalhealthaustralia.org.au/calendars/

Self-Care Calendar for Mental Health Month: October
    znx6k6f7gvtk.png

What three things are you looking forward to this month?

Me:
    - time off. I'm taking days of leave here and there throughout October. Of course, we can't travel yet (COVID) but I can still enjoy time off
    - cycling. This month's exercise focus is going to be more on cycling. With DST starting and with time off, we should be able to cycling more
    - spring! Yes, last month was the first month of spring, but this month has the advantage that flowers are really coming up and blooming, the weather should be warmer, and we'll have DST!

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Mary- from Minnesota/Arizona we sure have missed you but sounds like you have been busy..ive had 2 open heart surgeries myself but thankfully doing well..
    Well here we are in October thank you as always to our fearless leader Barbie for bringing us into another month..
    Im awake as usual in the middle of the night and will try and get back to sleep..
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,288 Member
    In that break between first and second sleeps, so I thought I'd catch up a bit. Thank you for steadying our course into October, Barbie! Your calm and caring posts are so precious to all of us.

My goals for September were to be lighter, be healthier, and stick to the budget, and succeeded in all three. I do feel significantly better than I did Sept. 1, I've lost three more pounds, from 181 to 178, and with just a little belt-tightening, am ahead of our house payoff schedule by more than a month. Will be paying off a third of the remaining mortgage in November instead of December at this rate. So, my goals for October will remain the same. Might as well stay with what works!
    :smiley:

Heather -
    Enjoy your brother's company! You sound very excited, I hope it's a wonderful visit and a lovely dinner.

Mary -
    So good to see you - that much activity in a short space of time would find me flat on my back, but you seem to be thriving, and I'm so glad for you. The horse farm sounds wonderful.

Machka -
    I love it when your spring comes around. You get quite giddy, and sprinkle exclamation points everywhere. Your joy just bounces off the page. It's lovely to see.

A bit more reading for me, and then back to sleep.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    edited October 2021
    5:19 ammorning peeps, gonna go home and see the new improvements!!!!! It’s nice to get away, but also nice to come home. Next the 1/2 marathon (retired from full marathons only 13.1 miles, gotta start running) in November then Grand Canyon!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    edited October 2021
    :)Terri, You taught me a new word today "doughty". Since it had the word "dough" in it, it made me think of the chubby Pillsbury Dough Boy, so I looked it up and found it was quite a compliment. I agree with your assessment of the women on this thread. I loved all the wonderful info you shared. You are a treasure.

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Thanks you Barbie for keeping this thread going. Happy October <3
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited October 2021
    Darn it, Barbie! I thought you were going to tell me what “doughty” meant so my lazy self wouldn’t have to look it up. I was pretty sure from Terri’s context that it was a compliment. It is definitely a new word for me, too. For the rest of you who may be wondering, too, it means “brave and persistent.” You’re welcome. LOL.

Mary! It’s so good to hear from you, we have been very worried about you since the last we heard, you were headed for Washington. I’m so sorry for all you have been through. You were missed, and I am glad to see you back.

Ever thankful for new beginnings. October is one of my favorite months. My one goal, other than continuing to persevere with my new eating plan, is to consistently do my metabolic workouts 3 times a week for 15 minutes before going out for my morning walk, which I plan to do every day.
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 614 Member
    p4cold2oce35.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    edited October 2021
    Allie wow!! You have been through a lot! I'm so glad that you are on the mend and feeling better! That's what my brother-in-law had to have done! He had a bovine valve put in because that is supposed to last longer for a repair! Since he has been farming all of his life it seemed quite appropriate!! We tease him about turning into one of the cattle! I hope you continue to improve daily!!

<3 Mary from Minnesota/Arizona