60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,491 Member
    Checking in.

We've had a few pretty good days at my house recently. Kathy has a new chemo regimen (😁) and more morphine (☹). She's more alert and lively than she has been. Still a little foggy mentally but it's good to see some improvement in mood and demeanor.

Still losing the pounds slowly. I'll take it. Walking the dog every chance I get.

Hang in there, all!

Same to you Steve! Thanks for the update. Thinking of you and yours.

• newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you I appreciate that! Happy hump day to all B)
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Hi, I am fairly new to MFP (45 days of logging) and like newdoda (love your hair), just shy of 60 (in 6 months) as well. I have been mainly lurking in the threads and finding inspiration. AnnPT77, a recent thread update of yours was really great! The pics of you lifting and doing the yoga poses were the best! This is the first time in my life I ever tried to lose weight as trying to cut back brought up food insecurity issues (not enough in the household growing up) and for the most part I was an athletic person. However, I found myself "suddenly" (sarcasm, here!), 30 pounds heavier than I should be. A recent resurfaced ankle injury kicked my butt into gear as I realized the extra pounds could not be could be good for me. Unfortunately walking/running is out and surgery will be in the future. In the meantime, I have lost 15 pounds through logging, swimming and stationary bike. I really want to get a handle on the calories needed for when I am couch/bed bound after surgery.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    newdoda wrote: »
    Love this active thread full of support, insight, information and perseverance❣I'm not 60 yet but I will be in 6 months and was hoping I could join? 🙏

I think you just did join? 😉 (I'm 65, 66 next month, so you can borrow 6 months from me temporarily, pay it back when you meet the formal 60-year threshold, if anyone's fussed about exactitude. 😆)

You're most welcome here, from my standpoint!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Hi, I am fairly new to MFP (45 days of logging) and like newdoda (love your hair), just shy of 60 (in 6 months) as well. I have been mainly lurking in the threads and finding inspiration. AnnPT77, a recent thread update of yours was really great! The pics of you lifting and doing the yoga poses were the best! This is the first time in my life I ever tried to lose weight as trying to cut back brought up food insecurity issues (not enough in the household growing up) and for the most part I was an athletic person. However, I found myself "suddenly" (sarcasm, here!), 30 pounds heavier than I should be. A recent resurfaced ankle injury kicked my butt into gear as I realized the extra pounds could not be could be good for me. Unfortunately walking/running is out and surgery will be in the future. In the meantime, I have lost 15 pounds through logging, swimming and stationary bike. I really want to get a handle on the calories needed for when I am couch/bed bound after surgery.
    Love this active thread full of support, insight, information and perseverance❣I'm not 60 yet but I will be in 6 months and was hoping I could join? 🙏

I think you just did join? 😉 (I'm 65, 66 next month, so you can borrow 6 months from me temporarily, pay it back when you meet the formal 60-year threshold, if anyone's fussed about exactitude. 😆)

Thanks, @albamarie61 . . . but that wasn't me. I think it was @springlering62. She's the marvelously slender/strong woman with the glorious bright workout outfits, who does yoga and strength training, among other things. I'm not sure whether she's 60+, but she's at least later 50s. I'm the rowing/cycling one who doesn't do nearly enough strength training. 😉 😬

For others, if you haven't seen it, this is Springlering62's very inspiring thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763291/my-turn-to-overshare-my-adventure/p1

This is my less-inspiring but brutally-honest self:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809632/loose-skin-50lbs-loss-at-60-4-years-maintenance/p1

It sounds like you're doing great, @albamarie61: Keep up the good work! Weight is more about matching calorie intake to expenditure, so if you can figure out your calorie needs, weight loss is possible even without exercise. That said, I'd strongly, strongly encourage you to eat maintenance calories (neither gain nor lose weight) during the first several weeks of your surgical recovery, and perhaps a bit beyond. Healing is priority 1 post-surgery, and that requires both calories and nutrition!

Best wishes!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    edited September 2021

Thanks, @albamarie61 . . . but that wasn't me. I think it was @springlering62. She's the marvelously slender/strong woman with the glorious bright workout outfits, who does yoga and strength training, among other things. I'm not sure whether she's 60+, but she's at least later 50s. I'm the rowing/cycling one who doesn't do nearly enough strength training. 😉 😬

For others, if you haven't seen it, this is Springlering62's very inspiring thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763291/my-turn-to-overshare-my-adventure/p1

This is my less-inspiring but brutally-honest self:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809632/loose-skin-50lbs-loss-at-60-4-years-maintenance/p1

It sounds like you're doing great, @albamarie61: Keep up the good work! Weight is more about matching calorie intake to expenditure, so if you can figure out your calorie needs, weight loss is possible even without exercise. That said, I'd strongly, strongly encourage you to eat maintenance calories (neither gain nor lose weight) during the first several weeks of your surgical recovery, and perhaps a bit beyond. Healing is priority 1 post-surgery, and that requires both calories and nutrition!

Best wishes!

Ann, this brought me to tears. Especially from someone I respect so much. That was my best NSV ever. Thank you for that.

@albamarie61 well, if some wonderful someone can describe me like that, starting where I started, you’ve got this, lady.

You’re doing well losing what you already have beforehand and thinking of a plan to have in place during.

I’m 59, like you, and started three years ago. Age is in our heads. But only if we let it worm it’s way in and let it control us.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @albamarie61
    I too had a past leg injury. Fracture with 3 plates and about 18-20 screws (hard to count them on the x-ray). My walking has improved greatly with weight loss. I started using my Elliptical in my basement again a few weeks ago, after about 7 years. I read that runners, when they have an injury, use a elliptical when they can't run as there is no pounding on their joints. I love it! Maybe give it a try at a gym, if you belong to one.
    And WECOME!
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Steve, sending you positive thoughts and prayers. Hope the care of this group can help lift you up in the dark days. You are an inspiration to many as you don't give up. Take care of yourself as best you can.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    steelrod1 wrote: »
    Good Evening all.

Just a dude ( 63 ) and trying to make it happen again. Just looking around, new fairly new here after a diabetes diagnosis. Logging my food and excercise and trying to keep on keeping on.

Good luck it's a long road but worth it in the end, healthy eating , logging and tweaking exercises helps with diabetes or thats whatbi found helping my hubby overcome his.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    @anawake13😍 and @annliz23 😍 - Thanks for the encouragement. Feeling better today. Even managed a smile or two! 😁
  • steelrod1
    steelrod1 Posts: 127 Member
    Good Afternoon all.

Just hanging out today. Got my cardio in spite the drizzle, prepping dinner and enjoying football. What's ya'll doing.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Good Afternoon all.

Just hanging out today. Got my cardio in spite the drizzle, prepping dinner and enjoying football. What's ya'll doing.

Same here. Watching the MLB wild card race along with the football games. While "trying" to do some household chores. 😆

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,238 Member
    Good Afternoon all.

Same here. Watching the MLB wild card race along with the football games. While "trying" to do some household chores. 😆

Mariners are hanging in there. Which pleases my husband. ❤️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Hi, all!

Glad to see a continuing trickle of new folks: Welcome! Please keep posting. Questions, problem-solving ideas, rants, social updates, whatever: All of that is interesting and welcomed, helps keep all of us engaged and positive about health improvement and weight management, both as writers and readers.

@alteredsteve175, glad to hear you're having a bit brighter day today. I hope you know we're all cheering for you, as you press on through this challenging, marathon-ish chapter of your life. You're doing great, working to stay positive, take care of yourself as best the situation allows, and progress when possible. Good show, I think!

It's my regular rest day from intentional exercise here in Casa Ann, so I'm hoping to reallocate some of that energy (??) to chores around the place. I got a nice haul at yesterday's farmers market, so part of my to-do list reflects that. In my plans:

* Roast some baby eggplant, mostly to put in the fridge to use through the week, but probably some for dinner, too.
    * Roast a couple more of the giant Winter banana-type squash, which should add around 10 more 2-cup pyrex bowls of smashed squash to the 22 (!) already in the basement chest freezer.
    * Launder all my fluorescent yellow rowing t-shirts and jacket, fold and put away the fluorescent orange ones (fashion statement: "Power boat, please don't hit me!".
    * Stop procrastinating, finish up the income tax filing I deferred earlier in the year, because that's now close to crisis urgency. (Weak character that I am, many things in my life only get done when they become a crisis! 😬)

One thing I'm *not* doing: Anything to 'atone for' the entire very delicious cheese, cauliflower, carmelized onion pizza (eek!) that I got from my favorite brewpub yesterday, and ate alongside a nice craft IPA. It'll average itself out over time, 5+ years of maintenance experience tells me, so no need for drama. Up a couple of pounds this morning (sodium!) as expected, should mostly slip away over the next few days.

Fun thing this past week: I took my former massage therapist, 50-something guy who's never rowed before in his life, out in my rowing double to give him a sample of the rowing experience. It went well. He's got 90 pounds and 10 inches of height on me, so I'm glad his balance was pretty good . . . because I really, really dislike swimming. (We didn't.) I've done this with other people, too. Generally, I just set up (stabilize) the boat while the other person rows, until we're so far out of traffic pattern that I need to row us back on course while they set up. Weather was perfect, thankfully: Not much wind/waves.

Also positive (I think): I believe my left eye vision may be a getting a tiny bit better, slowly, after my pars plana vitrectomy/membrane peel surgery back in August. Sometime during the next month-ish, I'm supposed to go back to my regular eye doc (vs. retinologist) for a vision test, see if we can do anything via improving my prescription.

Wishing everyone a wonderful, productive week, and progress toward your goals, whatever they may be!

P.S. Been a while since I've posted a random garden-flower photo, so I'll chance it. This is a recent bloom on the Passion Flower vine (Passiflora sp.) that grows in a pot on my deck in summer, inside the nearby sliding glass door in my kitchen in Winter. Big blooms, like the size of your palm; looks weird; and nicely scented. Makes me happy.

cb5gdtfviyow.jpg
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Hi. I've read this thread a few times but never posted before. I didn't know how to add as a favorite then. So glad I found it again by happenstance and its now saved!
    Some know of me from some other threads, as I see familiar usernames.

I'm 64, 5'4", full time working RN. I started a new job 9/14/20 and weighed 255 lbs. Unfortunately second time at that weight. I lost before down to 122 lbs and kept it off for about 5 years and then got lazy. I'm actively trying to get back to that 122 again.

Since I didn't have a micro manager anymore and not working as much overtime as my last job, I lost almost 15 lbs by 5/3/21 without trying. I had emergency gallbladder surgery 5/3. (First and last gallbladder attack!) While recouping at home and reading up on post cholecystectomy surgery (that people can gain weight afterwards. OH NO! NOT WHAT I NEED!) I started to read up on Keto dieting and figured a good time to start, while I'm off work for 4 weeks. I have been VERY successful!

I do Keto, calorie restriction and only eat 2 meals (brunch and dinner)on my 3 days off/week. A protein shake for breakfast, chef salad for lunch and then dinner on work days. My off days, I have the last couple weeks swapped out my neighborhood walks(about 70 min, 3 miles) for 99 minutes on my Elliptical. Burns a lot more calories!

I'm on a few challenges. One of which was to be UNDER 200 lbs by 9/1, (didn't make that till 9/7/21-199.4 lbs), 195 lbs by 10/1 and 190 lbs by 11/1.

9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs started logging MFP
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212 lbs
    9/1/21-200 lbs
    9/19/21-194 lbs!!!!!!!

Again glad to have found you AGAIN!

10/3/21-189.8 lbs. Met my goal already for November 1! Not backing off though. Maybe I'll get under 180 now! Increased my usual 99 minutes of my Elliptical 3 days/week. My off work days. Thought I'd add a 5 minute cool down today but then added another 15 minutes to make an even 2 hours! I felt great afterwards!

@alteredsteve175
    Continued prayers for you and yours.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I went to the link you posted AnnPT77, thank you for sharing that. I haven't posted here for a while & not really regularly when I was but this is my favorite group & I do read through the posts & catch up now & then. I just havent been on mfp much besides logging & didn't even log for a while. I finally started losing a little in the last couple weeks after staying the same for almost a year after gaining some weight (18lbs due to habit & medical circumstances) I can blame it on that & it did happen but I could have worked harder & been more diligent for it not to happen, it was ultimately my fault, but I was not willing to eat only 1200 cal/day to lose the weight. what's been working for me is eating 2 large meals a day (plenty of protein per meal) & snack right after the meal.
    I unfroze my gym membership a couple months ago(I went 5 days/week before covid) but really haven't been going. One of our sons has a nice big pool I used during the hot summer, plus he has a gym, I bought a treadmill & do videos, weights etc. Unfortunately I just haven't been able to get back to level of exercise I used to do, I guess due to getting older & my knee & leg really hurt some days. I still take my dogs out for walks every morning & on good days I do the Walk with Leslie which I really enjoy. I went through many months of mourning the loss of it but I'm accepting it & do what I'm able. We live in California & the smoke in the air has been so bad, you can see it & taste it so didn't go out this morning except to work. I hope to check in more often. @alteredsteve175 I prayed for your wife & you, I'm glad to hear she's having a better day & I pray for many more.