Over calories

Hi so if I go over my net calories for the week how much weight will I put on

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    It depends on what your weight loss rate setting is and how much you went over.

For example, arate of loss of 1 lb per week equals a deficit of 7000 calories per week. So you could eat 3500 calories over your net calorie goal and still lose 0.5lbs for that week.
    Or if you're set at a loss rate of 0.5lbs per week, your goal deficit is 3500 per week, so if you go over your net calorie goal by 3500 calories, you would be eating at maintenance.

All this is theoretical though: it depends on how accurate your food logging is, how accurate your exercise calories are and how average your body is (MFP's numbers are based on statistical averages, every one is different).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Actual numbers would help to do the maths Mark.
    What rate of loss did you select and how much did you go over goal?

1lb/week loss as a goal gives you a projected 3,500 weekly deficit.
    ( @Lietchi made an uncharacteristic error in her example. 2lb/week would be a 7,000 deficit.)
  • markchoppersmith
    markchoppersmith Posts: 18 Member
    Rate at 1kg a week but have lost more than that. I went over 1000 net calories for the week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    1kg (or 2.2lbs) per week is a 7,700 deficit per week so you you would still be in a very large deficit.

So very clearly you would not have gained (fat) weight.
  • Lietchi
    sijomial wrote: »
    Actual numbers would help to do the maths Mark.
    What rate of loss did you select and how much did you go over goal?

1lb/week loss as a goal gives you a projected 3,500 weekly deficit.
    ( @Lietchi made an uncharacteristic error in her example. 2lb/week would be a 7,000 deficit.)

Ah good catch! I slept poorly last night and clearly wasn't entirely awake when answering (mixing up lbs and kg), oops 😬
  • Lietchi
    Rate at 1kg a week but have lost more than that. I went over 1000 net calories for the week

Just making sure: you do mean your 'net calories over weekly goal' was 1000? We've had some people think that their net calorie intake had to be zero (which is dangerously undereating).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I go over all the time and it doesn't result in weight gain.

We really don't have enough info here...

Mark, step on the scale. There's your answer.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    You can set your goals at maintenance for a minute to see how many calories it recommends. If I can eat 2200 calories to maintain my weight, I would gain weight if I ate more than that or lose if I ate less than that. After you know your maintenance calories, you can go back in and change your setting to the desired weight loss or weight gain goals.
  • markchoppersmith
    markchoppersmith Posts: 18 Member
    So if I go over my net calories by say 900 calories for the week will I put on weight and if so how much I'm talking kgs not pounds.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Your question was already answered above . See sijomial's reply.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    So if I go over my net calories by say 900 calories for the week will I put on weight and if so how much I'm talking kgs not pounds.

No.

Let's say your maintenance is 2500 calories. 7 x 2,500 = 17,500 calories per week to maintain.

Let's say your goal (for 1 pound loss) 2000 calories. 7 x 2,000 = 14,000 calories to lose 1 pound per week. A 3,500 calorie deficit.

Let's say you ate 3000 calories. 7 x 3,000 = 21,000 calories to gain 1 pound per week. A 3,500 calorie surplus over maintenance.

If you ate 900 calories over MAINTENANCE, then you gained something.

Good advice above.