60 yrs and up

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @Evamutt
    Since you unfrozen your gym account, try the Elliptical. Supposedly runners can use one to stay in shape when they have an injury. I had a Tibial Plateau Fracture in 10/2015. I have 3 plates and 18-20 screws near my knee. I can do it because there is no pounding pressure created like a treadmill. I had bought one before the injury. Hadn't been on it since then until a thunderstorm about 6 weeks ago, cancelled my walk. I thought well, I'll try it. Just a thought.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @swimmom_1 That is interesting about your knee. I had a tibial plateau fracture in 2009. We were able to heal it without surgery…only 12 weeks of immobilization & absolutely no weight bearing.
  • swimmom_1
    edited October 2021
    @RetiredAndLovingIt
    I fell from 3 feet in my basement and landed on my L leg and collapsed. It does have a pad and carpet but its still concrete. My weight of 255 lbs at the time, I'm sure was part of the problem. My leg was so swollen I had to wait 22 days for surgery (till some of the swelling went down. They were afraid that if they cut they wouldn't get the skin closed) and then 12 weeks non-weight bearing. Took over 3 months for me to learn how to walk again without a horrendous limp. PT eventually put me in a pooI with a treadmill in it to lose some of the limp. I was off work for 7 months. I'm a RN and thought I would be walking in a month. Ha!!!

Dr was surprised my leg shattered so bad from a 3 foot fall. Found out when they drew blood my Vitamin D level was 13. Its supposed to be 30-100. The problem with nurses. We go to work when its dark out and leave when its dark out! I also knew I had Osteopenia which I'm sure didn't help.

Losing over 65 lbs so far has helped a lot. Until about 3 weeks I had to go up 1 step at a time and meet the other foot. Now I can alternate again.About 68 lbs more to go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @RetiredAndLovingIt
    I fell from 3 feet in my basement and landed on my L leg and collapsed. It does have a pad and carpet but its still concrete. My weight of 255 lbs at the time, I'm sure was part of the problem. My leg was so swollen I had to wait 22 days for surgery (till some of the swelling went down. They were afraid that if they cut they wouldn't get the skin closed) and then 12 weeks non-weight bearing. Took over 3 months for me to learn how to walk again without a horrendous limp. PT eventually put me in a pooI with a treadmill in it to lose some of the limp. I was off work for 7 months. I'm a RN and thought I would be walking in a month. Ha!!!

Dr was surprised my leg shattered so bad from a 3 foot fall. Found out when they drew blood my Vitamin D level was 13. Its supposed to be 30-100. The problem with nurses. We go to work when its dark out and leave when its dark out! I also knew I had Osteopenia which I'm sure didn't help.
    l o
    Losing over 65 lbs so far has helped a lot. Until about 3 weeks I had to go up 1 step at a time and meet the other foot. Now I can alternate again.About 68 lbs more to go.

Oh, man: What an awful experience! I admire you for working to overcome it. With that level of determination, I'm betting on really positive long term outcomes. Virtual hugs!
  • swimmom_1
    @RetiredAndLovingIt

Thank you. I can be pretty determined, also known as Bull Headed. I'm also a Taurus!!! LOL!
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Hello, been MIA for quite some time. Been a MFP user since 2016 but only utilized this group for a few months back in 2020. The pandemic was not kind to my weight loss journey, so I am starting anew. Glad to see the over 60's still going strong. Have a good evening, everyone!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    steelrod1 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon all.

Just hanging out today. Got my cardio in spite the drizzle, prepping dinner and enjoying football. What's ya'll doing.

Same here. Watching the MLB wild card race along with the football games. While "trying" to do some household chores. 😆

Mariners are hanging in there. Which pleases my husband. ❤️

Meanwhile, I was at my first MLB game which the worst team in MLB baseball (AZ Diamondbacks) won, making their record this season an abysmal 52-110. Sigh. But I had a good time. My daughter was one of about 10 teachers that were being honored as "Most Valuable Teachers" during STEM Sunday. She was awarded a $1000 grant for the purchase of classroom supplies. (To clarify, this wasn't my first baseball game. It was my first in years, and it was my first major league game. As a kid, my friends and I were daily attendees of the AAA games.)
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    tnh2o: What a beautiful photo! You'd never know the tiny pests were there to disturb the calm and serene setting.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @swimmom_1 Wow..our accidents sound similar, even same leg, lol, but such a different injury! I have always been thankful for no surgery, but your post opened my eyes to how bad the injury could’ve been! In PT after healing, we worked on 30, 60, & 90 degree bends. I was like you, thinking no problem…but it took at least 2 weeks between each degree step. 90 degrees is considered healed, but that’s not that great, so I kept walking & exercising it & my knee is pretty normal now. I hope you get to that point, too.

@tnh2o that is a gorgeous photo! There is an eagle nest close to our house, so I am always watching for them.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,301 Member
    @swimmom_1 wow, that's awful, I'm glad you are on the mend. It's remarkable how a "small" fall can cause so much damage & sometimes bigger ones don't I once fell while walking my dogs flat on my face, it was a piece of blacktop coming out of the street I tripped on. I was using both my arms holding 4 leashes & went straight down. I still went to work at hospital that afternoon with a black & blue face but remarkably it barely hurt & I healed up well. I got a pinched nerve in 2020 that was so painful I had to quit a job & it took months to recover, that's how I gained 8lbs, you went through a very long recovery
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    steelrod1 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon all.

Just hanging out today. Got my cardio in spite the drizzle, prepping dinner and enjoying football. What's ya'll doing.

Same here. Watching the MLB wild card race along with the football games. While "trying" to do some household chores. 😆

Mariners are hanging in there. Which pleases my husband. ❤️

And then the Mariners went all Mariners on us. So close. Just teasing us. There's always next year. Before 2004, I would tell my sons, "There's enough heartache in the world without being a a Red Sox fan." Now they have turned that around on me. HAHA! 😆