Diary of an young 81 year lady.

I'm 81 years young and gained 40 lbs when I returned to college to complete my degree in accounting. I gained an additional 26 lbs after retiring. I lost 19 lbs when I topped the scales at 206 lbs. I maintained my weight for a 2 years and then decided to lose 10 per cent of my body weight at my Doctors request because I gained back 7 lbs. I lost 14 lbs and got down to 180. Then my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Maintained my weight until he died and now my goal is a 30lb weight loss. Believe me...the body changes as we age and anyone under 60, meet the weight loss challenge and learn how to maintain your weight now. I'm an active, healthy overweight senior who should likes sweets and carbs and I've learned the best way for me to loose weight is to count calories and exercise. So I'm getting on with life and loose this weight because I want to remain healthy and alert.

Replies

• ajmo6325
    ajmo6325 Posts: 1 Member
    you are doing good and way to Go! you will succeed !
  • joweaver33
    joweaver33 Posts: 1 Member
    Fantastic! I'm in a similar position and have found the best way for me to tackle the weight loss is to take one day at a time and remember to weigh in daily and log in all food intake. Moving, of course, is very important. Keep up the great work!
  • Suzy06000
    Suzy06000 Posts: 3 Member
    Courage! You will succeed ! Day after day :)

Exercice with Roberta's gym
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q3KVS5QlNE

Suzy06000
  • RLT776
    RLT776 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you for your inspiration! You are correct in that anyone who is younger should get the weight off & maintain it because once 80 is reached it is really hard! You will do it!!!
  • jamitha
    jamitha Posts: 1 Member
    Good for you for sticking with it! Very inspiring, you're doing amazing!
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,708 Member
    I'm 81 years young and gained 40 lbs when I returned to college to complete my degree in accounting. I gained an additional 26 lbs after retiring. I lost 19 lbs when I topped the scales at 206 lbs. I maintained my weight for a 2 years and then decided to lose 10 per cent of my body weight at my Doctors request because I gained back 7 lbs. I lost 14 lbs and got down to 180. Then my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Maintained my weight until he died and now my goal is a 30lb weight loss. Believe me...the body changes as we age and anyone under 60, meet the weight loss challenge and learn how to maintain your weight now. I'm an active, healthy overweight senior who should likes sweets and carbs and I've learned the best way for me to loose weight is to count calories and exercise. So I'm getting on with life and loose this weight because I want to remain healthy and alert.

Sorry for your loss. Saw your post and it was so inspiring! You are leaps and bounds above others your age. You have the fortitude to not only utilize MFP at 81 but to know you can do better health wise. There are many groups here that can help you succeed and enjoy the journey. Congrats and good luck!
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    The struggle is real! I am and wow, what a different journey this time. I have yo-yo'd for most of my life and goodness, it was so much easier to lose back then. I am down 35#s in 5 months and very happy with that progress. I always thought if I eat less and exercise more, I would lose weight. Now I have to eat more than I thought but make good food choices, be moderately active, and realize this is how my life is now. Congratulations on your progress and continuing journey to good health.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    A big congratulations!!!!
  • BnHzChild
    BnHzChild Posts: 17 Member
    May you be blessed and have the comfort that you need to continue on this journey. So sorry to hear about your husband.

I saw your blog and it was so very inspiring to me. I am 69 years old and have been watching my weight fluctuate over the years. I have been down to the weight that my body frame calls for, but that is just not realistic for me.
    So now in my new season, I am trying to be more aware of what I eat and focusing on the things that my body needs. I agree with you. It is harder to lose this weight in this season of life especially if you are like me with physical problems. I move when I can and I do feel better and I found that if I move too much or too sporadically my sciatica kicks in and that sets me back for a few weeks. So I basically do a lot of walking and so strength building exercises.

Your story inspired me greatly. For us baby boomers, thank you for a dose of reality.
  • const155
    const155 Posts: 8 Member
    I am 54 I have been heavy all my life....I got down to the 190's in 2018 went back up to 213 and restarted the whole thing again in January currently 158...I count calories too that is all I know.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!