Share Your Day

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Husband and I were the ones who moved far away from our families. He was career military and had a second career in Texas. We’re a thousand miles from closest relatives except for our son who lives nearby. The upside has been living in lots of interesting places and meeting people we would never have met back “home”. The downside is missing a lifetime of births, deaths, birthdays and holidays. Although we’ve always tried to make at least one trip back each year, it’s not the same obviously. But our lives are rooted here now, our son is here, friends and social connections.
    Unfortunately due to covid we haven’t been able to visit the extended family in nearly 2 years. And none of us is getting younger! We tried to visit this fall but infection rates were up and a few crazy family members won’t get vaccinated.
  • Yoolypr
    I should add that I completely sympathize with those who have legitimate medical conditions or even strongly held religious beliefs who don’t get vaccinated. That’s a tiny minority. In our family refusal is because of laziness, wacky conspiracy theories or based on internet “science “.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,546 Member
    That sounds pretty wonderful, Alexandra and Connie. You've created such supportive, loving spaces for your "babies" ( they will be forever won't they? <3 )
    Yooly, that must have been tough through this pandemic. I have one son who is not yet vaccinated, he is somewhere betweeen those two camps. Legitimately afraid, especially afraid of any future repercussion on as yet unborn children. There is no solid science for that one yet, so I'm expecting he won't be getting vaccinated until at least midway through next year? Once children of vaccinated people are born with no vaccine related issues? I have a hard time arguing with him on this one because my arguments would just be speculation at this point too. It is scary to think, though, how long it might be before he accepts all is safe. What if something pops up when a child is learning to talk, to walk, to do math...and on and on.
  • Yoolypr
    I do apologize for getting off-topic here. Didn’t mean to open that door because it’s so contentious. I’m now leaving the pulpit. Back to why we’re all here!😔
  • I slept late but I'm actually getting the master bedroom cleaned and tidied. And doing a lot of figuring out where to put things.

I had had all the stuff to wrap presents in the guest room. But Eldest Son is now occupying it as a bedroom, and I don't want to be going in there all the time to get stuff out, especially since it's HIS SPACE while he lives here, and leaving it to him is part of the privacy every adult should have. So I have to find somewhere else to put it, and that is proving a little difficult.
  • lauriekallis
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I do apologize for getting off-topic here. Didn’t mean to open that door because it’s so contentious. I’m now leaving the pulpit. Back to why we’re all here!😔

I actually was happy to read your post - because considering how to navigate these waters feels like part of many of my days these days. It is always nice to read something that isn't delivered in "fighting words" format :)
  • Yoolypr wrote: »

I actually was happy to read your post - because considering how to navigate these waters feels like part of many of my days these days. It is always nice to read something that isn't delivered in "fighting words" format :)

Thank you. Navigating the waters here in Texas is pretty perilous. At my age time is measured- want to do and see everything NOW. Especially family.

I haven't said too much about it, but I am having surgery in January. Maybe. lf the hospital isn't so busy handling the pandemic that they can't take out my goiter that is starting to infringe on my esophagus. Every time my food gets stuck or I feel it when I swallow, I get a little stab of worry that the pandemic will mean they still aren't doing elective surgeries in January and we'll have to reschedule. And this thing is still growing....just because it's benign doesn't mean that it can't cause problems.

And there's the whole breast reduction thing. They canceled my initial consultation that would have been last week because the nurses and doctors are working to help with COVID patients. New consultation in January. And every night my upper back and shoulders hurt. My clothes are loose everywhere else, but I can't buy new shirts. It hurts to wear a bra. It hurts not to wear a bra. And I have no idea when I can get help. Because of COVID.

And, in a more focused way, because of the proudly unvaccinated who are getting COVID and filling up the hospitals. It is not surprising that I am more than a bit unhappy with them.
  • lauriekallis
    Hope the numbers go/stay down between now and then so that your surgery isn't postponed.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    3rd Covid and Flu jab on Tuesday - been a bit under the weather…. Think Nurse Rachet gave me them…. Left arm is numb!
  • Went to the store and I have ALL THE MEAT to deal with, oof. There were also a lot of people and I had to stand a long time so my back was really unhappy by the time I got home, and after lunch I laid down and slept for a couple hours. Got up around three, put dried blueberries in vodka in a canning jar, and put cranberries in Triple Sec in a canning jar, and now when I want them for baking those will be rehydrated.

I also cut four large chicken breasts for cutlets (I got 12 cutlets, nicely trimmed) and the trimmings and such are enough to bag and set aside for chicken curry or peanut chicken, something like that. I have another four breasts but I will seal those each up individually and they can freeze like that and I'll have them for later use. I like having some things in there that aren't already purposed. Gives me a sense of possibility.

There's pork chunks I need to batter and fry for future Chinese meals, and I need to make several sorts of rice and bag those in two ounce bags, and I need to make apple spice muffins for Son for work, and I need to make a steak, grilled onion, and mushroom quichecake; we just pulled the sausage-cheddar one out of the freezer to start on it tomorrow morning, and I like having one in the freezer. So I know what I'm doing over Friday-Sunday....precooking! But it does make my life SO much easier, and I do like to cook.

Boyfriend GOT A JOB!!!! SUCH a relief. It's a hybrid job but he's only 15-20 minutes away from the hospital campus, and he has a dedicated home office, of course. He'll be working as a data architect for the large hospital system. The money is good, but more than that, he's using his skills working with data in a way that he feels ethically good about. He has had other jobs where it would be more about "let's see how much we can dig into people's lives to sell them more stuff they don't need" and he just doesn't feel right about contributing to that. But we were getting to the economic point where he was going to have to take a job doing something he hates just to pay the mortgage. So this is a GREAT relief on so many levels.

Probably not going to have the engagement ring by Christmas, because we want a new couch with integrated recliners available for when I have the breast reduction, and it's becoming clear that at some point that ankle tendon will need repair so I can be more active. And tendon surgery is twelve weeks non-weight-bearing. I want somewhere good to sit and elevate the ankle. (I have great experience with foot surgery recovery.) We are all breathing a great sigh of relief.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    Alexandra this is such great news in so many levels (both having a job and liking what one is doing!) And presumably the job might even come with some sort of insurance? Or would the ankle tendon be excluded as prior issues? Either way... sounds good... though I doubt that there would be much liquor left for the dried fruit if I were the one in charge of the operation!!!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    That is awesome news about the job! I am sure it is a great weight off of all of your shoulders.

And that is a LOT of work to precook! I know it helps in the long run, but honestly I was feeling exhausted and sore just reading about it. I DO really like the rice idea. Does it reheat okay? I get the frozen rice from Trader Joe's sometimes, but it would be cheaper to do it myself. With the Instant Pot rice is super easy to make too.
  • It reheats fine, IME. I either toss it in a large pot of water and heat to boiling (which is when I have a couple packets plus a packet of veggies or sauce to heat too) or just put it in the microwave for a bit. If you overheat it in the microwave, the bag will go boom, but with rice that's not an issue, you just have a hole somewhere you didn't expect when putting the rice in a bowl or on a plate. (grin) It's worth it to have just enough premeasured rice so I don't have to fuss with it when I'm doing other things.
  • We're not legally married yet, PAV, so I can't get on his insurance yet. Prior conditions aren't such a thing any more. If need be, I'll go into my doctor and say, "Hey, when I start to exercise I get this dull warm ache down here in the back of my ankle that feels like something's really wrong." and I'll go through getting another MRI on it probably and get told I have a torn ankle tendon again, but this time I have the support and the finances to have surgery.
  • lauriekallis
    I love your post, Alexandra... So much going on and you maintain this even keel making sure everybody has good food to eat.
    Your family is very lucky.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    My day isn’t going really great….my biopsy on my arm is still seeping and I can’t swim…it is hot and humid outside….Willow lunged after a squirrel in the back yard and I barely escaped a nose dive across the backyard,my face and nose now have scabs on them and look horrible,I am not in the mood to eat healthy, I just ate a bag of M&Ms I don’t even like but they were just laying there and now I am in a worse mood….the only good thing is I have a doc appointment with my doc that is leaving next week so I will have to get back at it eating right so I will not disappoint him or myself!
  • Yoolypr
    Hang in there. You can do this - make yourself and the doctor happy. Biopsy wounds are the worst!
    Hot here too, 93 and humid. Looks like we’ll get close to 100 Sunday before a cold front gets us down to mid 80s. I just want cool air and to pet my sweaters.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I didn’t realize the dermatologist was going to drill a hole in my arm…it looks like I was shot!…no idea what it was that appeared on my arm…just a hard red spot….not a mole or a bump or a bruise…..my luck it will probably be some rare deformity that I will have to search the continent for answers lol
  • Yoolypr
    Yup - biopsy is basically a puncture wound. Try not to worry too much.