Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

Replies

• Tito_Tim
    Tito_Tim Posts: 72 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I would love to remove the monthly membership fee from my budget, but not only do I not have adequate equipment at home for a home gym, but until my son moves out of my basement I don't have anywhere to put it anyway, so guess I'm stuck still going. One day I'll have the weights needed at home to stop going...but then I'll miss having access to the hot tub and sauna, so I'm also not in any rush, lol.

My gym is a small condo gym. The entire thing is a steam room... There are 2 aircon units and they never turn them on. It sucks ha ha 😎
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    The godawful pop musi they play in the weight room. Doubt anyone likes it since virtually everyone in the place has earphones in.

They feel the need to play it so loud you have to crank your own music more than you should to drown it out.
  • Theoldguy1
    I can live with pop music playing, for those days when my ipod battery dies. (Happened twice in the last year mid-workout, quite annoying.) It's when the overhead is playing Celine Dion or something similar, very mellow and relaxing, that I can't stand it. Yes, my gym advertises itself as a wellness center which includes a spa where being relaxed is encouraged, but can't they play the relaxing music in the spa and something upbeat in the weights and cardio areas? Hard to psych yourself up for a heavy lift while listening to a love song...

Yeah they play that kind of crap in my gym. Drops the T levels by 25% :(
  • people singing out loud to their playlists
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    Do you mind if I do some air drums between sets? lol
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    The guy doing sets and texting in between is my biggest one. I go during my lunch and when I get there I want to work out, not wait for him to finish texting his buddies.
    Gym bags everywhere - tripping hazards left and right with my already compromised joints.
    Dusty\dirty equipment. I have complained so many times about this to the point we stopped going.
    Women who insist on wearing literally nothing but a sports bra and underwear to the gym. I understand wanting to look your best but it's the gym, not Match.com
  • nossmf
    When my gym first opened up in my neighborhood, they took a petition around to all the houses asking for signatures so they could serve alcohol (some city ordinance thing). Wife and I refused to sign, not only because it's a gym and alcohol seems counter to the idea of becoming healthy, but we also didn't want potential drunk drivers roaming through our streets with our kids at risk. But apparently the gym got enough signatures to open the bar next to the swimming pool.
  • michelle_FR
    michelle_FR Posts: 191 Member
    EMc8800 wrote: »
    Sometimes getting yourself to the gym can be hard, staying and pushing hard is the next step but what are the things that get your goat when there?

- machines broken?
    - Crowds?
    - BO!
    - Etc

all of the above. I hate having to go to the gym 😣
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Been working out at home the past 15 months. Finally joined a gym.

Few things:

Obviously working out in front of the dumbbell rack. Seriously bro. I’m standing here 20 feet back from the rack with my dumbbells a d you are spread out in front of the 8 dumbbells I want to use. Move.

Using stations/equipment for not their purpose. In this I’m specifically thinking of the 10 or so pull up stations that are empty yet this one guy wants to do pull ups on the dual pulley cable machine. Cmon bro. There’s 3 cable machines that do like 30 different movement. They are in high demand. Use a pull up station for your pull ups.

Finally, massive rest breaks. I rest like 90 seconds to 2 minutes between sets. I totally get that there are people who are gonna rest longer or shorter. But when your sitting on a piece of equipment “resting” ( on your phone) for like 7 minutes? Let someone else use the equipment.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    kchapmanma wrote: »
    Heh, when I read the subject line, my first thought was "There are gyms that let you take your pet with you? Damn, I doubt my cats would be into that, though. Pretty sure they'd hate everything - and me for taking them there." :wink:

That was my take as well.

I find pets at the gym very distracting, and they make me feel inadequate (cause I can't train my pets to behave that well)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theo166 wrote: »
    kchapmanma wrote: »
    Heh, when I read the subject line, my first thought was "There are gyms that let you take your pet with you? Damn, I doubt my cats would be into that, though. Pretty sure they'd hate everything - and me for taking them there." :wink:

That was my take as well.

I find pets at the gym very distracting, and they make me feel inadequate (cause I can't train my pets to behave that well)

There was a thread a while back about someone who was bringing a misbehaving dog to the gym and claiming it was a service animal. The dog was running around and sniffing people's butts while they tried to do squats.
    Now, THAT'S distracting.

There may have been someone else too, but that was at my gym.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Here's a new one for me:
    Bro next to me is doing upright rows in the squat rack.

Couple weeks ago had a different bro curling in the power rack but uprights in an actual squat rack is one I've not seen before.
  • nossmf
    A month or so ago all the squat racks were in use, but the bench press area had a couple openings. So I pulled the bar to the space in front of the bench and proceeded to complete my deadlifts. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    When I was able to go to the gym my pet hate was that it was closed on Sunday, closed at 6 pm on Saturday, and only open until 9 pm the rest of the week.

Small towns. Sheesh.

Sounds like the one in my town except it closes at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and 7:00 p.m. during the week. I gave up my membership because I couldn't make it before 7:00 p.m.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Just reminded me with these recent comments on moving the bar to where you need to.

People dropping the decently loaded bar on deadlifts when neither the bar nor the floor where built for it.

In fact I don't recall any olympic style lifting bars, for sure no bumper plates - so probably not unusual no one doing those lifts.
    I recall one day some cleans being dropped, but at least light weight onto the rubber mat the cages were on, seemed a warmup for the guy.

But still a fair number doing drops on carpeted concrete for the deads when they couldn't be in the cage with that thin piece of rubber - and just hearing that thud you knew wasn't good.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2021
    A month or so ago all the squat racks were in use, but the bench press area had a couple openings. So I pulled the bar to the space in front of the bench and proceeded to complete my deadlifts. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

At least you had a good spot to sit between sets. You know, playing on the phone for 15 min to get a really good rest in. :p