How to be successful

rhyddpe
rhyddpe Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Did the majority of the people who have had success losing done it via counting calories?

Replies

• rhyddpe
    Thank you. Really appreciate your response
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Yes and no. Calories in, calories out are something but it's not the only thing. Also many dieters do gain the weight back.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 486 Member
    I do count calories here and have for years and that works. I found that initially I was focused more on calories and not as much on nutrition and quality (e.g., ate more processed food initially). Over time I've moved to a plant-based diet with an emphasis on eating "read food, more plants, not so much" as Michael Pollan recommends. Keep this in mind along with total calories, nutrients, and macros. While I track my exercise I focus mostly on actual calories and not the net.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 486 Member
    Agree 100% with what @Lietchi writes. This isn't a race and it is for life. Accepting that was probably the most important thing that got me to lose the weight AND keep it off for over 8 years.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited October 2021
    I lost successfully for a while (28 pounds, IIRC), then was starting to stall a bit, so decided I should calorie count, and joined MFP. The rest of the weight loss (another 30-ish pounds) was more predictable, because of counting.

Different people need different paths.

I didn't appreciably change my exercise/activity routines to lose weight. (I'd been athletically quite active, and happily so, for the last dozen years while staying overweight/obese . . . was kind of the near-mythical pretty-fit fat person.)

I didn't dramatically change my eating style or food choices. I did change portion size, proportions of different elements of my meals, frequencies of some foods. (I was already eating a lot of nutritious foods, had been vegetarian for 41 years - just eating too-big portions, too high proportion of calorie-dense foods, too-frequent treats.)

I've been in maintenance, and at a healthy weight (with some non-bothersome to me ups and downs in the healthy range) since the weight loss, still calorie counting most days (because the maybe 10 minutes a day it takes seems like a small price to pay for the many benefits of eating every last calorie I can while staying at a healthy weight, because I still think food is yummy).

@Lietchi's advice post is brilliant!

The only thing I'd add is that activity generally and exercise specifically are helps to health and good functioning, plus let a person eat more delicious food while achieving sensible weight loss and to weight management beyond. Finding *enjoyable* ways to move more is kind of magical - ideally things so easy or fun or both that you'd want to do them even if they weren't good for you.

Best wishes!
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    57 lbs down counting calories, I may incorporate other ways into my way of eating but counting calories is what works for me losing this weight. <3 😉
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Yes to counting calories. I’ve lost and gained this way before. The difference this time for me was finding my motivation. The strategies I developed to be in a calorie deficit came from trial and error.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Counting calories is the only thing that has ever helped me lose weight. Once I stop logging, I see the weight creep back on. This is at least my fourth time returning to MFP to lose weight, and I know it will be successful if I stick to the plan. I also have to remember when I finally do get down to my goal weight, I have to keep logging. It's a lifetime commitment for me if I want to maintain and not gain weight again.
  • rhyddpe
    Thank you everyone. Really appreciate the feedback.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Yes, but it wasn't just counting calories. I've lost weight a number of times in my life counting calories in some form. Keeping it off is another story.

I continue to use MFP to hold myself accountable. I find if I don't my weight will start to creep up. I could probably still stay within a healthy BMI if I didn't use it, but I guess I"m using it for vanity reasons. However, it's also important to me to keep track of my fiber, protein and added sugar. I can't do that all in my head for the day!

The biggest changes for me in losing the "last 10 pounds (which then turned out to be 8 more) was changing my mindset about what I was capable of, what I have control over and actually believing that it was possible for me to lose the weight. I also tried to make it as painless as possible (250 calorie deficit) and made an effort to be more active in addition to the exercise I was already doing.
  • Lullaby2021
    Lullaby2021 Posts: 121 Member
    rhyddpe wrote: »
    Did the majority of the people who have had success losing done it via counting calories?

Yes, In my lifetime 53lbs lost that I track. All done by calorie counting.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    The initial weight loss--I tracked macros and realized I needed to eat MUCH more protein, which has made a huge difference! I also started weight training and THIS made ALL of the difference in my body composition. I am strong and fit now, which is the look I love, and while I am still very much wanting to improve more, I am overall really really happy with both the physical benefits of lifting weights as well as the mental benefits. The gym owner commented to me the other day how confident I am in the weight room now and how he knows how uncomfortable I was for a long time! I hope you can find what works best for you on your journey!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I would say my true success came from addressing my long-standing dysfunctional relationship with food and body shaming and old head-game tapes about my body, my self-identity, and food.

Counting calories isn't the *reason* for my success, but it's an essential *tool* to keep myself honest, sane, and present in my relationship with food and my body.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    rhyddpe wrote: »

My best advice for success is to be consistent. Whatever you do, show up, put in the work, be consistent and most of all be patient...