Eating Out

I'm new here. Only joined this week. So, still just getting the hang of this. Yesterday I ate out for one of my meals and I am trying to input the info, but it is not recognizing the restaurant that I went to. So, no idea how to log my meal. Any suggestions?

Replies

• wainscotte
    wainscotte Posts: 4 Member
    Okay. Thanks.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I either break the recipe down into simple parts and add those, or I find a similar item on MFP. Usually several restaurants will come up with the same dish, and I pick one from a familiar chain.

My logic (flawed or not) is that they will probably have invested more money into testing calories, and, being a larger chain, will probably come out on the higher end anyway.

If you go the restaurant’s online menu, you may even find calories listed there.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    PS: I also check the menu online before I go so I can calculate calories beforehand, and see if I need to maybe look at a less “costly” menu option.

Much easier than feeling the pressure to decide on the fly while I’m sitting there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Just pick something from the database that is similar from another restaurant. Note that if this is a local restaurant they aren't required to provide nutritional information and thus it would never be entered into the database. Only restaurants with 20 or more locations are required to provide nutritional information, so mostly chain restaurants.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Most popular chains will list their nutritional information on their website. That would make it easier to pick something close out of the database. If I know where I am going, I will take a look at their menu and information on their website and plan ahead. If you can't, choose something with the least amount of whole ingredients like chicken breast and veggies.