Whole Food Plant Based Vegan Lifestyle

BridgetF723
BridgetF723 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Hey, does anyone else loves Fruits, Veggies, Whole-grains, and Legumes? I became a WFPB Vegan over a year ago and am thriving! I used to struggle with asthma, but I'm now mountain biking and running multiple times a week with no problem. Since I changed my lifestyle I haven't needed my inhaler, been eating loads of yummy food, and have lost some weight along the way! One of my favorite things to do is find and create recipes, which are based on Forks over Knives and the China Study.

Replies

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 195 Member
    I did great with whole foods vegan for about 6 months last year. Don't know why I ever stopped it. I am here to get back on track. I felt great about myself on it, looked great, and my cholesterol improved dramatically. I haven't seen the documentary "Forks over Knives" yet - thanks for the reminder. Just looked at the website, and it looks like a great place for inspiration to get re-started.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    I eat mostly wfpb (and am also a vegan), if you want to add me. I've been really into brothy soups and pasta bakes lately ^_^
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I am a WFPB Vegan :)
  • JCT1000
    JCT1000 Posts: 19 Member
    My wife is vegan. She was vegetarian/ pescatarian up to 18 months ago, then went vegan. She uses the Forks Over Knives cookbook and has several others and makes a lot of very good food. She’s been trying to lower her cholesterol and has been limiting fats as well. She has no weight issues.

I still eat some meat but my diet is more healthy than before. For what it’s worth I’ve dropped 30 pounds in the last 18 months and am at a 25 BMI. I can’t give all the credit to the WFPB diet. I’m also watching calories and doing occasional IF, but certainly agree it’s a healthier lifestyle.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Happy herbivore for 3.5 years.
    I will say that for me it was a transition that took about 15 years. I started doing Meatless Mondays and VeJanuary, then becoming more of a flexitarian (meat only on weekends and special occasions), then maybe eating meat or eggs about once a month, then cutting down on cheese and dairy.

Then, BOOM: I spent a week with a friend with a vegan household, and when I returned I told my spouse "I'm gonna keep doing this for a while and see how long it lasts." And that was 3.5 years ago.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2021
    Happy herbivore for 3.5 years.
    I will say that for me it was a transition that took about 15 years. I started doing Meatless Mondays and VeJanuary, then becoming more of a flexitarian (meat only on weekends and special occasions), then maybe eating meat or eggs about once a month, then cutting down on cheese and dairy.

Then, BOOM: I spent a week with a friend with a vegan household, and when I returned I told my spouse "I'm gonna keep doing this for a while and see how long it lasts." And that was 3.5 years ago.

I'm right now where you were (and @JCT1000 is now). My wife is a serious meat and potato girl and I do all the cooking. My adult daughter now lives with us (since Covid) and she's been vegetarian since age 9 and she's practically vegan too. She doesn't really do any cow dairy at all, just a bit of sheep on rare occasion.

We've gone from eating meat every day to like once or twice a week. We've started doing a huge raw greens salad on Sundays so we can have leftovers for a few days for lunch. My daughter is starting to help cook and doing raw Vegan.

I honestly know I could do Vegan but the wife would revolt a bit. Not a bit, a lot actually. But even she knows that plant based (and for us, gluten free too) is the way to go. I'm Celiac but eat lots of whole grains.
  • Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Sometimes I'm WFPB Sometimes I'm comfort foods! I started out trying to go full No oil but had to scale it back to just getting vegan. Going strong for 5 years now.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Lotusstarr wrote: »
    Sometimes I'm WFPB Sometimes I'm comfort foods! I started out trying to go full No oil but had to scale it back to just getting vegan. Going strong for 5 years now.

I follow a ton of leading neuroscientists, and while I get not eating vegetable oils, some of the "eat olives, not olive oil" mantra is proving to be false. Yes, avocados, nuts, vegan Omega3s, flax seeds and chia seeds are all great -- no arguments there. But science if proving that fats are very important for brain health and can even help fend off dementia and Alzheimer's. Nothing wrong with a little EVOO.

Cholesterol is also needed for proper adrenal functioning. You just want the right types of fats, but olive oil gets too demonized by some militant vegans, IMHO.

My daughter was anti oils in general until I've shown her a lot of the more recent research.