Share Your Day

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,581 Member
    Boyfriend has formally accepted the job, and it will be all remote for the present, as they are moving offices. (Everyone's all remote at the moment.) There's a lunch on Friday that he is going to go to, and meet people face to face, which I think is nice. And he starts work on the 18th.

I want to get him into a routine of going to the gym before work with me as I think it will make him feel better. He has both kyphosis and scoliosis, and so having core strength is very important for him to put off spinal surgery as long as possible. He has a high chance of eventually needing a wheelchair, so we are planning our lives with that in mind. It's another reason I want to lose weight and keep myself strong and limber.

Had a CT scan and barely fit on the table. I wasn't hurt or offended by it, but it's definitely a motivation to keep at it.

For the record, with my thyroid crappy, I'm more or less working to not gain weight and have good habits until I have surgery in January and we get me up to normal thyroid levels. It's no good trying to lose weight until the thyroid's normalized. I'm sure I COULD drop myself to 1200 calories and exercise till I fell over and get a little off, but I want a decent quality of life, because I am going to be eating less for life and I need not to be miserable. That's a sure way to get a binge.

You are so inspiring @AlexandraFindsHerself1971!

One of my primary reasons for embarking on this healthy eating lifestyle was to become smaller and more limber because my knees were getting dodgier and dodgier by the day, and I foresaw a time when I'd be infirm if I didn't do something about it...and I can't afford to be infirm because there's no way in the world that my husband could push me around in a wheelchair or haul me up and down stairs. He's had numerous vascular surgeries on his arms and legs (related to his kidney failure and years of dialysis) - it's imperative that I stay strong so that if needs be I can haul HIM around, not the other way around!

So your words really touched a chord with me - it's so wonderful that you're planning for the future with such grace and emotional generosity.

PS, I agree with you about the thyroid - no sense in making yourself miserable pre-surgery. Just focus on maintenance while that particular deck is stacked against you.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    I really need to get back into working out, at least some stretching or yoga. My back and hip have been really bad of late. Every morning I am waking up in pain and I know it is at least part because I sit at a computer all day and then do nothing the rest of the day. Because when I do get off my lazy butt and take even a short walk, it feels better (until I sit at my desk more lol). Nothing I can do about being at the computer as I can't afford a standing desk but I know I can take 30 minutes and do SOMETHING.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Bella is on fire! And I agree with her Connie. Do something somewhere else if you can!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Ugh….I hate days like today…I just feel hopeless and miserable….flashback to May 2019 when I started MFP….that is the mood I am in today…I am 110 pounds lighter but I feel all of the pounds suffocating me this morning….I know I have to keep going but I don’t think I can today…

You can and will keep going - maybe not so much today but tomorrow. Can you possibly figure out what set off the mood? Maybe work on that trigger?
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    I really need to get back into working out, at least some stretching or yoga. My back and hip have been really bad of late. Every morning I am waking up in pain and I know it is at least part because I sit at a computer all day and then do nothing the rest of the day. Because when I do get off my lazy butt and take even a short walk, it feels better (until I sit at my desk more lol). Nothing I can do about being at the computer as I can't afford a standing desk but I know I can take 30 minutes and do SOMETHING.

I completely get this - you’re speaking my language! Even just a 10-15 min walk helps me. I feel like the longer walks have both the physical and mental benefit. Sitting all day is a killer for me. I know you’ve said a standing desk isn’t an option, but I do highly recommend one if/when you can swing it. It’s been a game changer for me. The other major game changer for me was buying a heated mattress pad. While not for everyone and didn’t completely resolve morning pain, I don’t feel the same level of stiffness and feel much more mobile in the morning.
    Ugh….I hate days like today…I just feel hopeless and miserable….flashback to May 2019 when I started MFP….that is the mood I am in today…I am 110 pounds lighter but I feel all of the pounds suffocating me this morning….I know I have to keep going but I don’t think I can today…

You have the inner strength to get through today, tomorrow, and beyond. You will find that motivation again. While how you feel today may feel reminiscent of the beginning of your journey here, it’s undeniable you have new tools, new insight, new support, and more importantly new inner strength that helped you through losing 110 lbs. I can’t imagine that didn’t come without stumbling, falling, and getting back up again. Each struggle brings wisdom to your journey and when embraced helps you continue. Reaching out and sharing your struggle shows fortitude and a different kind of strength and will help get you back on your feet!

You’ve proven you have it in you. Be kind to yourself. Acknowledge your accomplishments. Know you have support and people care. Most importantly find a way to comfort yourself that makes you feel good and supports your long-term goal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    I often don't do it even though I know I should. I even register the poor Fitbit's reminders sometimes and say not now I'll do it later. But absent a standing desk, the simple get up for 3 minutes and walk around every hour still helps tremendously. Yes it does interrupt and especially in an office may be very hard to pull. But when I'm doing it I can't recommend it enough
  • Athijade
    I actually do better in the office because we have tunnels to connect the different buildings downtown. So I can get up and walk no matter what the weather is. Plus everything is further away from my desk so I have to get up and walk more in general.

The problem is when I am home. I find I don't get up as often. You would think it would be the opposite! But I am less likely to take my breaks like I should. Not healthy.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    I actually do better in the office because we have tunnels to connect the different buildings downtown. So I can get up and walk no matter what the weather is. Plus everything is further away from my desk so I have to get up and walk more in general.

The problem is when I am home. I find I don't get up as often. You would think it would be the opposite! But I am less likely to take my breaks like I should. Not healthy.

When COVID lockdown happened, I learned the same thing about myself. At work I walk a whole lot more, make the decisions to take breaks, go for walks/hikes — at home, I was never able to establish a healthy routine. On the weekends, I can do it — weekdays and working, I failed.
  • Athijade
    Alexandra - I really love that idea. 20 minutes may be too often for me as some of my tasks can take longer then that and I hate stopping in the middle of one, but I think the concept is good. Even if all I do is stand up and stretch a little bit I think it would help a lot.
    When COVID lockdown happened, I learned the same thing about myself. At work I walk a whole lot more, make the decisions to take breaks, go for walks/hikes — at home, I was never able to establish a healthy routine. On the weekends, I can do it — weekdays and working, I failed.

I almost feel like if I take the extra time that the ability to work from home will get taken away. Which is not logical at all. My team isn't the type to make a huge deal about that sort of thing unless you are really really abusing it. My work gets done. Heck, I was just promoted a month or so ago so obviously I am doing something right. I just need to learn that I don't have to fix every problem or respond to every email right then. I'm allowed to step away for a few to refocus and stretch.

And I feel you about healthy routine.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,581 Member
    @conniewilkins56 , I hope you're over your funk and having a better day today!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    @conniewilkins56 , I hope you're over your funk and having a better day today!

Thanks, I have had a lot going on but I am still here and I will keep going!
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    Alexandra - I really love that idea. 20 minutes may be too often for me as some of my tasks can take longer then that and I hate stopping in the middle of one, but I think the concept is good. Even if all I do is stand up and stretch a little bit I think it would help a lot.

I almost feel like if I take the extra time that the ability to work from home will get taken away. Which is not logical at all. My team isn't the type to make a huge deal about that sort of thing unless you are really really abusing it. My work gets done. Heck, I was just promoted a month or so ago so obviously I am doing something right. I just need to learn that I don't have to fix every problem or respond to every email right then. I'm allowed to step away for a few to refocus and stretch.

And I feel you about healthy routine.

Congrats on the promotion! Nothing wrong with taking a break to take care of yourself. You might try the timer suggestion and make some notes about your productivity and how you feel at the end of the work day, I know when I take a walk late morning/early I go back to my desk with some mental clarity, less stressed and feel more productive. You may find it’s a benefit overall. When I first started walking, I did it for my physical health. Begrudgingly I continued. Now I feel like it’s a necessary part of my workday.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    I wish your husband a smooth recovery. My Mom just had back surgery and things are progressing for her. She is going through ghost pain right now. It can take awhile for the brain to catch up with the body. I remember the long road after surgery but the quality of life after dramatically improved.

Please don’t neglect yourself in taking care of him through recovery. It’s so easy to get caught up in helping a loved one, it’s easy to forget we all need self care too.
  • Athijade
    Connie, I will keep your husband's recovery in my thoughts. Hopefully it will go as smooth as it can. I agree though, make sure you take care of yourself as well.

Guys... I am tired. Tired of being in pain. Tired of being exhausted. Tired of feeling like poo. I need to make a change but I am so scared that I will just fail again. I went to Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati Sunday with a friend. For those who do not know it is like a Costco sized international grocery. We were walking around there for about 2 hours, maybe a bit more. I had to call in Monday because I hurt too much to get out of bed. Back, hips, knees, ankles... it all hurt. And the rest of me ached.

I don't know what to do or where to start. But I need to do something.

Sorry... I am in a dark place atm and feeling very alone.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Do consider getting medical help. Not sure of your insurance situation but an evaluation can identify what is going on. And more importantly what you can do to feel better.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    Alexandra - the timer to remind you to get up and stretch idea is brilliant. I've been aiming for that, and struggling since quitting smoking. At least the addiction pulled me away from the screen and made me move. When I got past that, I realized I would sit, completely focussed, and lose track of time until a few hours had passed and then I was almost frozen.

Now that I have a computer back on my desktop, I'm going to look into setting my phone up to shake me up every half hour or so.

Athijade - Medical help might be a place to start? But, sometimes they are no help too and it will be up to you to figure out how to feel good. So hard when you feel bad though. But you will do it. Because you have to.

Connie - tough time for you. How are you holding up? How is your husband?