Anyone still do StrongLifts?

Oishii
Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
I did some lifting back in 2014 and StrongLifts made the most sense when I read about it on here. Searching the forums, it looks like StrongLifts hasn’t really been mentioned since then.

It makes a lot of sense to me as it’s compound moves, shouldn’t take too long each session and achieves progressive overload. Is there anyone else still doing it? Is there a new (simple) kid on the block I’m unaware of?

Replies

• Oishii
    And then I the next thread I read someone mentions StrongLifts… must be the search function letting me down!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    And then I the next thread I read someone mentions StrongLifts… must be the search function letting me down!

it's a great beginner program...but after doing it for almost a year I had to move on it was taking forever with the breaks required.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for years now and it still works well. Still the big 3 plus overheads and you can add in accessory lifts if you want.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I do it to break up my regular workouts, I'll run a program for a few weeks and then go back to my regular 5 day a week workouts.
    My workouts tends to follow my work schedule, when I have more down time, my workouts get longer and more intense. Stronglifts has never really disappeared from my repertoire, but it certainly isn't my go-to program.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I've started Stronglifts again. I haven't been as consistent with my strength training as I should be (a bad idea at my age....) but I like Stronglifts as it's easy to follow and doesn't take a great del of time. My goals for strength training are retaining lean muscle mass rather than hypertrophy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I did some lifting back in 2014 and StrongLifts made the most sense when I read about it on here. Searching the forums, it looks like StrongLifts hasn’t really been mentioned since then.

It makes a lot of sense to me as it’s compound moves, shouldn’t take too long each session and achieves progressive overload. Is there anyone else still doing it? Is there a new (simple) kid on the block I’m unaware of?

It's a good beginner program and got a lot of love some time back. It's definitely not the be all and end all and really should only be run for maybe 5-6 months at the most. At that point there are more efficient ways to train with an intermediate plan.

I personally don't like living in any singular rep and set range and at some point, linear progression just stops and IMO doing all this deloading stuff is kind of a waste of time when better things can be done.
  • Oishii
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's a good beginner program and got a lot of love some time back. It's definitely not the be all and end all and really should only be run for maybe 5-6 months at the most. At that point there are more efficient ways to train with an intermediate plan.

I personally don't like living in any singular rep and set range and at some point, linear progression just stops and IMO doing all this deloading stuff is kind of a waste of time when better things can be done.

I think I may end up changing to something else when linear progression stops, or rather when it stops for a while.