Share Your Day

Replies

• Today Boyfriend and I changed out the curtains and the carpet in our front room. I still have to do some tidying and put the couch pillows into new covers for the season, but it looks very nice. The winter curtains are insulated, and a dark red velvet.

We have a tall cat tree on order to go next to the window. We're thinking of shutting all three cats in the sunroom when we put it together and then just hanging out in the front room and watching them discover and explore it.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Cats are so entertaining….we had a cat for about 17 years….tiny 7 lb white Manx….now my son in law and grandaughter are allergic to cats….so we have Willow….
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,546 Member
    My computer issues are almost settled. Have a new (albeit refurbished) desktop. Recovered all of my files, including some 14 years of emails that I thought had managed to slip through a crack in my back up system.

Not happy with my display situation - not sure what is the cause of the problem, but my screen isn't the clearest anymore - and these are my original monitors - but a new graphics card and new cables. My high quality old card is replaced with a more basic new card - that everyone says should be even better, but doesn't feel like it. I use the computer for reference images when painting portraits - and I really want to be able to see as much as possible! Arrggghhh. Computers are amazing until they aren't and then it turns my life upside down.

But - so much better than my phone for visiting here. I might even start to log again. But sshhh....I'm building up to that, I might have to sneak it in so I don't upset my delicate psyche.

It was weird being basically away for ??? two weeks. Most mornings I brought my tea and clementines to my desk and sat in front of dark monitors - completely lost as to how to adapt. Such a freakin' creature of routine.

I managed not to stick to any healthy eating routine though. That and my basic sense of life went completely off the rails.

Only thing that I kept doing was walking.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    edited October 2021
    Aren't humans weird! The smallest change in our routines knocks us completely for six. I'm definitely a creature of habit - if anything disturbs my routines I go completely to pot!

I'm glad you're back with us Laurie - I missed you!
  • lauriekallis
    Completely to pot! YES. That sums up my actions of the last two weeks nicely. (maybe I should be smoking pot? not going to pot?)

And I'm psyching up for shoulder surgery next week. That has me kinda spooked. And somehow my efforts to prepare for living without my dominant arm for a few months -- filling three little freezers, including a used one I picked up last week, with prepared healthy meals, and getting some random seasonal things done around the house -- has the hamsters thinking that our world is ending. It/they/the entire rodent army they called in for support are responding to the crisis by trying to "nest" in every way possible. They are preparing for a FAMINE. Forget the freezers - they are attempting to store as much food as they possibly can inside of me - building up those fat stores to get through the long, hungry months of a one-armed winter.

Not sure how this is all gonna fly.

Freakin' hamsters.

Freakin' computer blowing up my virtual safety framework when my hamsters are spinning out of control?

Freakin' hamsters probably got into the tower and orchestrated the whole meltdown in their never ending quest for more pizza and lava cakes.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Glad you’re back too 😊. Hope all goes well with the surgery. You’re prepared and will get through this!
  • lauriekallis
    Thank you! It is funny how it gets into your head that gaining a couple of pounds is the end of the world. Which of course can turn into a binge trigger.

It's not.

This will all be fine.

It will probably be even better if I make a tea and spike it with something calming :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    CONNIE best recovery wishes for hubby and take care of you.

This getting older *kitten* with ailments sucks.

I always smile and say but it beats the alternative, so there *is* that, and it's so true❣️
  • conniewilkins56
    John always says there is someone else in worse shape than he is….we are hoping this operation gives him less pain when he heals!….thank you!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    I wish we had teleporters so I could show up and help those who need it!

Laurie, good luck with the surgery. Looks like you have prepared the best you can. You can get through it. I have faith in that.

So I have been slowly trying to work into getting healthier. Tuesday I went for a walk and then also did some stretching at my desk. Yesterday I took 2 walks. I have to look at the weather today and my meeting schedule to see what my plan is. I want to try and do SOMETHING every day (or the vast majority of days) even if it is a 10 minute seated yoga video I found on YouTube.

Food wise I seem to be doing okay. I gave myself some basic food "rules" since I don't feel in the right head space for logging (still have increased anxiety I am dealing with, though it does seem to be getting better day by day). They are super simple like "Add produce to meals" or "eat more whole foods" or "drink more water". Nothing more then the very basic "rules" for healthier eating. The hardest would be "No fast food" because of cravings, but I also know that it makes me feel HORRIBLE. I am still dealing with the side effects of McDonald's x2 on Sunday (road trip).

What really triggered this was the pain I was in Monday after my trip to Cincinnati and walking around Jungle Jim's on Sunday. Because I am going to Disney next year and I don't want to be in that much pain. I won't be able to take a whole day and rest between active days. So I have just over a year to do something about it.
  • PAV8888
    Well... there's some good coming out of Disney, right?!?! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2021
    OK... Maybe I remember the sun being a bit more brilliant than the pictures captured...

This was slightly random picture taking since I was just "transporting" the car and wasn't "travelling" with CCCGG and hitting the "spots".

Castlegar (and I hear nearby Trail, BC) were surprises for me. I only stopped there because it was splitting the trip in two... but I was positively surprised. I am sure that the sunshine and short sleeves weather didn't hurt!

Any commentators in regards to my (lack-o-)hair/do and attire will be terminated with prejudice! :anguished:

Link sharing will only be up for a few days.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PaGpYDAvdmKcHeov9

and expanded

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNHjjZ5V7LbJ51-7_DGhVinB5pyDoz5TPXHYPNoVclE2JI5mAEFVQH3I83TWZI8VQ?key=c3daM0U2X1owampMbEFxRVA2U09Dd250YkptVVVR
  • lauriekallis
    Gorgeous scenery, PAV. My friend recently moved from Castlegar to the island (via Saskatoon ?!). It was nice to see where she lived.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    So beautiful! I miss the mountains (lived in TN for awhile during college and grad school).
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    OMG I want to live in BC! My soul yearns for scenery like that! So majestic! Wrenchingly beautiful.
  • PAV8888
  • lauriekallis
    @Athijade I don't know how I would cope with that situation. I always try to avoid conflict like the plague (that has a very different feel to it these days) and would probably just spend a lot of effort finding a way to "enjoy" the noise. Which is not a very healthy approach either. You should be very proud of yourself for standing up for your rights. That is not easy.

And, I must say that you have found a fine way to put your anxiety to work! I need to apply some self-discipline and find a way to manage it like a tool for good not evil. My recent bout of anxiety has me gorging on ??? pita bread at the moment - but anything handy really and sleeping a lot, then spending much of my awake hours trying to ignore the filthy kitchen, bathroom and floors, the two paintings I want to finish, the material waiting to be built into a 5'x5' stretcher, the garden and yard that needs to be put to bed for the season, and the work projects - one due this Wednesday - and . . .

I have managed to walk with my little girl. I'm so thankful for her beautiful eyes that get me out of my squirrel filled brain (they kicked out the hamsters and moved in a few weeks ago).

Must go get some more pita bread now. All that typing worked up a serious hunger.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited October 2021
    Got up just before my alarm and rolled with it, because it's going to rain today and that means that I will undoubtedly wind up taking an afternoon nap due to either a headache or a fibro flare.

Precooking and laundry today. One load through, folded, and put away, one in the drier, one in the washer, and Son's laundry waiting to be done once the washer opens up. (But he will do his own.)

Precooking so far is six sausage-egg-cheese muffins made for my breakfasts, two tubs of jalapeno cream cheese made (from two tubs of whipped cream cheese) for Girlfriend's use, and I got a third jalapeno chopped to go into pico de gallo. When I stand back up I'll dice onion and tomato to make the rest of it.

I still need to make cooked onions for the next quichecake, which is bacon/onion/spinach. The bacon is cooked and chopped and ready, the spinach is thawing (I buy it prechopped and frozen), and the eggs and cream cheese are coming to room temperature because trying to beat eggs into cold cream cheese is miserable. But I'll cut the onions and put them on to cook when I stand back up.

And I need to make white rice and put most of it into packets, and put some of it into a batch of vegetable fried rice, and put that into a packet for Wednesday's dinner.

I am attempting to do what I have scheduled, which is to SIT DOWN for an hour and let my body and my arthritic feet rest. So I'm going to play a video game to distract myself from all that I am doing and let my feet recover.

• conniewilkins56
    I am embarrassed to say I feel great this morning!…I couldn’t sleep sound last night….John was restless and although we have an adjustable bed with each side separate, he was raising his side up and down…so I slept until 11 this morning…I was planning on swimming today ( finally ) but it is kind of gloomy outside….still hot!….I have huge shrimp cocktails for dinner so not much to do there and two new novels to read!…the house is clean, Amanda is doing lesson plans, John watching TV and grands asleep…son in law drove to Miami to see his dad….laundry is caught up and lots of football to watch….and my BED is on vacation….I lost 10 of the pounds I had gained, too!….onward I go!