Pizza???

Replies

• russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    https://afoodloverskitchen.com/cajun-dry-rub-chicken-wings/

I would suggest making your own wings.. this has the spices needed, and you can season them, and freeze them in bags of 8-10.. and then when you have pizza night, just thaw a bag during the day in the fridge, and cook them the 20-30 minutes needed, while waiting for the pizza to be delivered, and have the amount you want, ready when the pizza arrives.. cheaper too!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I have made good progress this week. Family wants to get pizza tonight. How do you handle that?

I just eat a pizza , either 1/2 or a whole one to myself. It's not like I have it every night or even every week.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    My solution: eat a big salad before and enjoy the pizza. Do the best you can and don't sweat it.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Darn...now I want pizza! I knew I shouldn't have read this! I'd just eat a slice or 2 and enjoy, log it and forget it. If you think you might overeat, have a salad before hand so you will be more filled up. Pizza is good food, especially if you load it up with veggies! Just go with it and plan ahead if you can.
  • Bovinity55
    Bovinity55 Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2021
    Hubby loves his pizza on Fri or Sat nite (he’s the tall skinny type, LOL) so we compromise by getting Dominoes thin crust with mushrooms, peppers and onions and add pepperoni on one half only for him. I make a salad to go with it. I like that Dominoes has their full nutritional info online.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    Homemade crust (I’m using half of this recipe for a thin crust 15”) takes 15 minutes to mix and rise. www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/

Tomato paste from a tube- easily controlled and easily measured. Hit it with pizza seasoning.

A nice “log” mozarella tastes better and is fewer calories than a shredded mozarella. I cut it in smallish cubes and dot it around the pizza.

Prosciutto is about half the calories of pepperoni and a diced 28gr serving goes further (or so my eyeballs perceive) than a similar serving of pepperoni.

Other Italian and Spanish hams make great toppings and are still far less than pepperoni. Coppa made a good topping.

Lodge makes a fabulous cast iron pizza pan that is also better than a cookie sheet for cookies, biscuits and scones. It’s also got a small lip, perfect for preheating and scorching some socca bread under the broiler.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Life is not worth living without pizza. (or chocolate) :)

Just make it work by budgeting for it. If you ate more than you budgeted for, it's ok. Get back on your plan and keep going.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited October 2021
    You are going to have off-meals and off-days and binges now and then. It's what you do the next day that matters.

If you get right back on plan as soon as you wake up, you're golden.

If you use yesterday's binge as an excuse to take another day off, you're on the road to regain. It'll only get harder to rein it in and get back on track as the "time-out" continues.

It's really that simple: get back on plan the next morning. Pizza, chips, chocolate - all the same. One day = ok. More than one day = not ok.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    What's the meaning of life without pizza?
    (as long as you avoid the "Hawaian" kind :wink: )
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I know that if pizza is in front of me I'm going to eat it.
    Not one or two slices - all of it!
    I try to avoid it as much as possible - but if it happens it happens - I enjoy it, log it and move on.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    How funny I came across this thread and we are headed out to dinner with our friends and of course they all want pizza. My plan is to see if I can find a personal thin crust, eat half and then a side salad. It's the beer I really want :)
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Some people crave the beer, some people crave a couple slices of pizza. Some people would be totally fine with a cauliflower crust because it's the cheese and toppings they like (I'm one of those!).

It's hard to give advice on how to satiate cravings because it's personal. Cauliflower crust is a perfect comprimise to me. 2-3 slices and low cal vegtables on the side is a perfect comprimise to me. You milage may vary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Some people crave the beer, some people crave a couple slices of pizza. Some people would be totally fine with a cauliflower crust because it's the cheese and toppings they like (I'm one of those!).

It's hard to give advice on how to satiate cravings because it's personal. Cauliflower crust is a perfect comprimise to me. 2-3 slices and low cal vegtables on the side is a perfect comprimise to me. You milage may vary.

Some of the commercial cauliflower crusts can be roughly as calorie-dense as traditional crust. Some may be more nutrient-dense . . . but there's a surprising lot of variation on that score, IME. Worth checking the details of the particular crust options, maybe.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    And don’t assume gluten free is healthier. My husband was certain he’d scored by ordering a gluten free pizza. “It’s only 200 calories per slice!”

He was picturesquely disappointed when they brought out a pizza the size of a Little Debbie, cut into six slices.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,821 Member
    I lost 90 pounds and had pizza and wine every Friday night. It's something we've done since our kids were young. We're retired now and the "kids" no longer live at home but we have busy lives and so we still look forward to pizza and wine on Fridays.

I make a crust for my husband's and he has whatever toppings he wants. I've tried different styles of crust for myself and enjoy using a whole wheat wrap the best. I have always preferred a veggie pizza, so that's what I have, with lots of cheese. If for some reason we end up ordering pizza instead of making it ourselves, I order a small, thin crust veggie for myself. And yes, I eat the whole thing. And drink wine :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I have made good progress this week. Family wants to get pizza tonight. How do you handle that?

then....

i eat pizza?

i actually dont particularly LIKE pizza, so its not something i eat much of, but with a husband and teenage son, I DO eat it on occasion. i eat out plenty though- chinese and mexican, and other places.

you can eat 'normal' places and still lose weight. trust me.
  • Over time I found myself liking commercial pizzas less and less. About once every five weeks I have a homemade sausage pizza (thin crust, turkey sausage seasoned with Italian sausage seasoning) and every other week I have a hot Italian beef sandwich, which is an open-face roast beef sandwich with mozzarella that is run under the broiler, and honestly the melty cheese/crunchy bread sensation of that means that I don't want a full pizza very often.